Using old Core 2 duo as a nas/server

Go to solution Solved by Haraikomono,

sure it will work, but dont get your hopes up about the performance of the streaming.

install any linux distro onto the main drive of the system

Id suggest doing it with a debian based distro

then you can follow pretty much any tutorial online on how to setup a ftp server

https://techmonger.github.io/3/linux-windows-ftp/

like that one for example

Of course, if you want to have the capabilities of a NAS system,  drive redundancy, support for afp,nfs,ftp etc you will need some additional steps, but all in all it shouldnt take you more than couple hours researching what suits your needs the most and how to set it up

once you found something that you would like to setup, you can create a new topic in Linux thread to ask for assistance

so i have old pc (core 2 duo E7500, 2gb ram 7500,card)  i was hoping to use it as a photo/file backup server and if possible for streaming (probably 1080p videos to my tv) in sometime. i don't want to spent any money on this project if possible. is this viable ? could you give me a general idea of how to do this?

thank you for your help : )

A NAS doesn't need much in the way of power, so your system will function fine.

AS to the drives, how many are in your box, and what OS do you currently have on the system or what are you planning on installing?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

sure it will work, but dont get your hopes up about the performance of the streaming.

then you can follow pretty much any tutorial online on how to setup a ftp server

Of course, if you want to have the capabilities of a NAS system,  drive redundancy, support for afp,nfs,ftp etc you will need some additional steps, but all in all it shouldnt take you more than couple hours researching what suits your needs the most and how to set it up

once you found something that you would like to setup, you can create a new topic in Linux thread to ask for assistance

Yes, a Core 2 Duo is plenty for a NAS. My NAS has a Core 2 Duo E8500, and it maxes out the speed of my disks and my local network. You might run into issues with streaming if you need to do any sort of transcoding, but otherwise it'll be fine. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

A NAS doesn't need much in the way of power, so your system will function fine.

AS to the drives, how many are in your box, and what OS do you currently have on the system or what are you planning on installing?

drives I'd need to buy i guess, I have a SATA 320 GB hard disk. i currently have linux lite on it. i guess freenas? (i'm a newbie so idk)

2 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Yes, a Core 2 Duo is plenty for a NAS. My NAS has a Core 2 Duo E8500, and it maxes out the speed of my disks and my local network. You might run into issues with streaming if you need to do any sort of transcoding, but otherwise it'll be fine. 

oh, thank you.

2 hours ago, Haraikomono said:

streaming was a nice to have so i guess that's okay. my main use is for backups and a ftp server.

1 hour ago, loadironmania said:

streaming was a nice to have so i guess that's okay. my main use is for backups and a ftp server.

Streaming video will work fine, its basically just a slow file copy. Transcoding with something like plex probably won't happen though.