Keyboard doesn't register keypresses correctly, but only when plugged in via USB hub

pythonmegapixel

I am having a problem where my keyboard occasionally misses or duplciates a keypress. As someone who likes to type quite fast this gets on my nerves as it slows me down to have to go back and correct things.

The keyboard is a cheap wireless one I bought from a supermarket years ago, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it as it only occurs when it's plugged into my USB hub. This is a hub with 4 USB A ports which plugs into the USB C port on my laptop. If I plug directly into my laptop the keyboard is fine. I don't think it's the hub at fault though either, because I don't notice any similar issues with the mouse or memory stick connected to the same hub.

Any ideas what's going on?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

This is a hub with 4 USB A ports which plugs into the USB C port on my laptop.

Is it a powered hub or unpowered?

And which hub?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Just now, Prodigy_Smit said:

Is it a powered hub or unpowered?

And which hub?

It's just some cheap unpowered one from eBay. The brand is "ISoul" but i don't think that means much

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

13 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It's just some cheap unpowered one from eBay. The brand is "ISoul" but i don't think that means much

Sounds like its a signal loss issue. If the keyboard is the only device in the hub does it work fine? 

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Just now, Prodigy_Smit said:

Sounds like its a signal loss issue. If the keyboard is the only device in the hub does it work fine? 

Because the problem is intermittent I'd have to try it for a while and see if it makes a difference. I'll get back to you about this tomorrow as I need to go now.

pythonmegapixel