What method of connection should I use for my xbox controller on PC?

izz

So my controller has been glitchy with bluetooth and my wire is crap, it makes my controller do weird things and disconnect randomly.

I have 3 options: 

1. Xbox Wireless Adapter - lower latency than bluetooth,  a bit higher than wire, 25 bucks. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/adapters/wireless-adapter-windows

2. Xbox Play and Charge kit - so I can charge while playing wired, so I have both options but I don't think this is the best because the cable might not be the best for gaming and I'm trying to avoid bluetooth as it seems to be a bit glitchy sometimes. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit

3. A nice wire - simplest option, this is a great wire, cheaper than others, 5GBPS, low latency, high power, seems very reliable https://paracable.com/collections/paraflex-usb-c-to-usb-a-3-0-cables/products/paraflex-carbon-usb-c-cable?variant=14500685185079

What should I go for?

Thanks in advance,

izz

phone out of service?

give us a call.

Personally I got the Xbox adapter (the previous larger one) and a play and charge kit.

I liked being able to kick back and relax, just play without a wire and not worry about the batteries.

If you think wireless is not something you'd do, you probably don't need the play and charge kit (because the battery is only useful when using the controller wirelessly).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Personally I got the Xbox adapter (the previous larger one) and a play and charge kit.

I liked being able to kick back and relax, just play without a wire and not worry about the batteries.

If you think wireless is not something you'd do, you probably don't need the play and charge kit (because the battery is only useful when using the controller wirelessly).

This sounds like a great combo if I was going to go wireless, let's see what others say 😄

phone out of service?

give us a call.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

also is the old adapter better?

phone out of service?

give us a call.

19 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

also is the old adapter better?

No there is no difference (other than the old one being larger), so not sure why I even included that line in my post 😅

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Anything is better than Bluetooth, honestly. Getting an XB1 controller working on Bluetooth in the first place takes a small miracle of tech jesus, and getting it to work again after that requires at least a few blood sacrifices.

Just pick up the dongle (and a play and charge kit if you don't feel like blasting through AA batteries), and call it a day.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

22 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Anything is better than Bluetooth, honestly. Getting an XB1 controller working on Bluetooth in the first place takes a small miracle of tech jesus, and getting it to work again after that requires at least a few blood sacrifices.

Just pick up the dongle (and a play and charge kit if you don't feel like blasting through AA batteries), and call it a day.

Any benefit to going wired other than it being way cheaper?

phone out of service?

give us a call.

24 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

also im using a series x controller but that doesnt matter

phone out of service?

give us a call.

5 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

Any benefit to going wired other than it being way cheaper?

Not having to deal with batteries, I guess? But that also comes with the gotcha of constantly having a wire both in the way and tugging at the port. Don't know how the type C port will hold up on the refreshed controllers, but the micro port on the old ones sucked ass, even for a micro ports standards.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

Not having to deal with batteries, I guess? But that also comes with the gotcha of constantly having a wire both in the way and tugging at the port. Don't know how the type C port will hold up on the refreshed controllers, but the micro port on the old ones sucked ass, even for a micro ports standards.

what about latency? in a video i saw there was more latency on the wireless adapter

but it was average 3ms more soooooo

phone out of service?

give us a call.

24 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

what about latency? in a video i saw there was more latency on the wireless adapter

but it was average 3ms more soooooo

You wouldn't even notice it. That's probably why we aren't all still using wired controllers.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

You wouldn't even notice it. That's probably why we aren't all still using wired controllers.

aight thats what ill do then

phone out of service?

give us a call.

4 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

One more thing: it’s for rocket league, does that change anything? I’m assuming absolutely not but I don’t want to waste 50 bucks

phone out of service?

give us a call.

1 hour ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

One more thing: it’s for rocket league, does that change anything? I’m assuming absolutely not but I don’t want to waste 50 bucks

Not at all.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

10 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Not at all.

Great! Looks like that's what I'll be doing!

Are there amazon listings of these items or only Microsoft?

phone out of service?

give us a call.

15 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

Great! Looks like that's what I'll be doing!

Are there amazon listings of these items or only Microsoft?

There are indeed.

Dongle and battery kit

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

There are indeed.

Dongle and battery kit

"usually ships within 1-2 months" 😬

phone out of service?

give us a call.

9 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

There are indeed.

Dongle and battery kit

also i cant seem to order it from microsoft... where can i get this thing???

phone out of service?

give us a call.

36 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

also i cant seem to order it from microsoft... where can i get this thing???

I honestly wouldn't doubt if it's just straight up out of stock like so many other tech things right now. Shit's pretty fucky.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

18 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

I honestly wouldn't doubt if it's just straight up out of stock like so many other tech things right now. Shit's pretty fucky.

found it on bestbuy

phone out of service?

give us a call.