Open Garage Doors with Apple Watch (Home Assistant)

After watching today's LTT upload, I was thrilled to see the use of Home Assistant in a video. I happen to be a home assistant user, so I will be making a series of Forum posts on home automation. 

Home Assistant offers a free application for both iPhone and Apple Watch. Before installing those apps, we need to get some baseline configuration done in home assistant.

1. Navigate to your configuration.yaml file

2. Add a new line that reads 

ios: !include ios.yaml

3. Create ios.yaml in the same directory as configuration.yaml. This is to abstract the ios configuration from the rest of home assistant's config.

4. In ios.yaml, paste the following sample code:

actions:

# garages
  - name: garage1  #id of garage 1 button. You will need this later
    background_color: "#7F7F7F"
    label:
      text: "Garage 1"  #Display text of garage 1
      color: "#FFFFFF"  
    icon:
      icon: mdi:garage  #Icon of garage 1
      color: "#1E90FF" 
  - name: garage2  #id of garage 2
    background_color: "#7F7F7F"
    label:
      text: "Garage 2"
      color: "#FFFFFF"
    icon:
      icon: mdi:garage-variant
      color: "#1E90FF"

Each action will be a button in the home assistant app.

Add a button for each garage door that needs to be controlled.

The colors, names, and icons can be customized.

5.  Create the automation that opens/closes the door. This goes in automations.yaml. If you do not have this file, create it in the same directory as configuration.yaml

- id:  #enter a unique id for the automation

alias: # Friendly name for automation
  trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: ios.action_fired
    event_data:
      actionName: #This is the id of your garage button.
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: mqtt.publish... #This is the service that opens/closes your garage door.

iOS actions can be used for more than garage door control. I use actions to trigger scenes, toggle lights, and to play music on speakers around the house.

6. Install the home assistant app on your iPhone and sign in. The apple watch app should be installed automatically.

7. Open the Home Assistant app on the Watch. Actions should be populated automatically. For quick access, the home assistant app can be pinned to the watch face.

8. Open your garage door! You must be connected to the home assistant server for this to work. VPN or Nabu Casa can be used to access this automation while away from the home network.

IMG_6761.PNG

Why does he make it so difficult for himself. 

I recently got https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07QCTN71J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_VA1DB0PQ0ZQDXYNSDQVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It is a non subscription device, connects to your WiFi. Works with Google home, has a timer to automatically close the door after x time. Allows you to close/open from anywhere in the world. I got it because my garage kept opening at random times. 

Best purchase I ever made. 

40 minutes ago, h45e said:

I recently got https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07QCTN71J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_VA1DB0PQ0ZQDXYNSDQVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It is a non subscription device, connects to your WiFi. Works with Google home, has a timer to automatically close the door after x time. Allows you to close/open from anywhere in the world. I got it because my garage kept opening at random times. 

I agree. I have a chamberlain garage door opener and a genie attached to it.  No issues. No subscription. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

21 hours ago, h45e said:

The problem with that solution is it costs $75 when I can fully automate BOTH of my garage doors for under $25. Of course, that doesn't include the cost of a server to run Home Assistant, a 3d printer, soldering equipment, and an already functioning garage door opener. I'll be making a full tutorial on how to do this for cheap in the coming days.