Adding quick-access system specifications topic sidebar

kingmustard

This is a thing?

You can use the system specs block on your profile for this..

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Click your username on the top right > Profile > Edit Profile > Scroll down to the bottom > ?? > Profit

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Click your username on the top right > Profile > Edit Profile > Scroll down to the bottom > ?? > Profit

Not much profit in that.  I do and no chicks, no cocaine, no sports contracts have come my way 😞

I like his idea.  Better than the post # that is nothing more than epeen, or the location that no one uses anyway.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Not much profit in that.  I do and no chicks, no cocaine, no sports contracts have come my way 😞

I like his idea.  Better than the post # that is nothing more than epeen, or the location that no one uses anyway.

Good point.

Checking specs for those who don't have them listed in signature is single click. Considering how long the lines could get, and that this would only work on desktop, I don't really see the point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You already have your specs listed in your forum signature which shows below each post, along with a link to a PCPP list in your signature as well. You also have the system specs filled out on your profile, and again along with a PCPP list. That gives people 4 different ways of reading what your system specs are. Do you really need a 5th way to show off your specs?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

You already have your specs listed in your forum signature which shows below each post, along with a link to a PCPP list in your signature as well. You also have the system specs filled out on your profile, and again along with a PCPP list. That gives people 4 different ways of reading what your system specs are. Do you really need a 5th way to show off your specs?

I disable signatures so I wasn't aware of that.

Due to this, I believed the only way you could view the specifications were to click on the profile, and many probably wouldn't know specifications were in profiles, so it was just an idea 🙂

1 hour ago, kingmustard said:

I disable signatures so I wasn't aware of that.

Due to this, I believed the only way you could view the specifications were to click on the profile, and many probably wouldn't know specifications were in profiles, so it was just an idea 🙂

The specs would still need to be listed in profile to allow such popup. Which makes this even more pointless.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you were just going to pull through the specs from peoples profile, then you'd end up with them appearing on posts where they're not relevant. For example, I don't really need a full spec list to walk someone through how to boot off a USB stick.

If you're going to make people fill it in manually for every post, then surely the people who don't list their specs normally aren't going to list them this way either?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

If you were just going to pull through the specs from peoples profile, then you'd end up with them appearing on posts where they're not relevant. For example, I don't really need a full spec list to walk someone through how to boot off a USB stick.

If you're going to make people fill it in manually for every post, then surely the people who don't list their specs normally aren't going to list them this way either?

It grabs the data from the profile; you have to click on the "x's system' link for the overlay to appear, so it's very compact.

It's very useful on a tech support forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not totally opposed to this idea. However, I wonder how often it would actually be useful - my intuition is that the intersection of people who actually fill in their system specs on their profile, and those who don't include the relevant specs in their posts, is pretty small. If there is useful coverage there though, I can see value in adding some way of viewing someone's specs from a post, either as a button in the poster block or as a button in the user hovercard. It's not a super straight forward thing to add though, so it probably won't happen in the immediate future.

HTTP/2 203