Are DRAM-less SATA SSDs really unreliable and don’t last long? It is just for making a old PC faster.

Newblesse Obblige

I was planning to buy a cheap asf SSD just to make our rarely used family PC to boot faster and feel snappy as my parents found a use for it for some reason lmao but our family PC is slow asf because it is still using one HDD for boot and storage. I heard those cheap SSDs have low endurance and unreliable but I think it ok since it is just a boot drive to make a old PC faster. Do you think it is still ok to buy it?

Some of the dreamless works really well if they partition some of the MLC memory as SLC cache. The downside with that is the computer will slow down as it fills up. However, you probably still shouldn’t go and buy the cheapest SSD you can find. Something like this samsung one should be fine and is only $40 https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-250GB-Internal-MZ-77E250B-AM/dp/B08QBN5J9B/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=250gb+ssd&qid=1617940606&sr=8-1

7 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Some of the dreamless works really well if they partition some of the MLC memory as SLC cache. The downside with that is the computer will slow down as it fills up. However, you probably still shouldn’t go and buy the cheapest SSD you can find. Something like this samsung one should be fine and is only $40 https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-250GB-Internal-MZ-77E250B-AM/dp/B08QBN5J9B/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=250gb+ssd&qid=1617940606&sr=8-1

is there any difference between the 860 evo and the 870 evo?

3 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

is there any difference between the 860 evo and the 870 evo?

870 evo is a bit faster and newer, won't matter here though.

Looking on amazon now, the cheapest 250gb ssd is $30 bucks, and the 860 evo and other good ones are about $40. You probably won't notice the differnce, but might as well spend the 10 bucks.