Apple engineer likened App Store security to ‘butter knife in gunfight’

Tensimeter
5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, the fact they make sure their App Store is much cleaner than any competition and they actually enforce security and privacy rules is somehow a bad thing now?

I have never said such a thing,in fact i agreed with you that it's a good thing,i will quote what i said:

20 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's true,but how is it related to the topic?,It seems like you just write here to demean Apple's competition and show how great Apple are.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Or is it just that people are always pissy at Apple and can't accept the fact they actually quite some things right?

Complete nonsense.

The topic is about the security of the app store,and you come here and demean it's competitors about the apps they allow in the store and their policies.

You went completely off-topic.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

And better curating apps so they aren't literal spyware is somehow not about security? What?

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And better curating apps so they aren't literal spyware is somehow not about security? What?

It's policy,it's not related to the security of the store itself.

I agree with you that the curation of apps on GooglePlay is almost nonexistent but that's a different topic.

EDIT:

The security of the store and the security of apps offered in the store are separate things,

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Frankly, after the point of sale its non of Apples business what someone does with their phone.

I mean its their operating system. They can code it however they want. Currently that is to not allow the use of third party appstore. If you want to modify the os to allow for that then I guess go ahead but don't go asking for any software support from Apple once you have done so or any hardware support related to issues arising from said modifications. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean its their operating system. They can code it however they want. Currently that is to not allow the use of third party appstore. If you want to modify the os to allow for that then I guess go ahead but don't go asking for any software support from Apple once you have done so or any hardware support related to issues arising from said modifications. 

Well,That's reality.

12 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't know why it's such a shocker to people. Apple made everything from scratch and it's their own. It gives them EVERY right to apply whatever rules they want. GooglePlay on the other hand, Google makes the stuff, other vendors just tap into the ecosystem someone else made. And result is pretty inconsistent and weird, but it's open. Google could technically dictate things, but due to nature of the whole ecosystem being mostly open source and with Google's proprietary junk bolted on top, they kinda can't and it would also look stupid. It could be beneficial too if Google was forcing vendors to have better and longer software support on OS side of things, but given how loosely they maintain their ecosystem and how they also depend on hardware makers like Qualcomm, it's unlikely to ever happen.