Sharing a Login Internet using Router

Hey guys im new to here.

Just trying to get some. I'm currently using a laptop as my device to become a wifi. Everytime i connect to the internet i need to login to my account. But keep in mind that the account only can login with one device. But, only if after 6 hours of inactivity from using the internet account is being logout.

So now, my laptop is becoming the wifi for my smartphone. It's kinda wasteful of energy using my laptop as wifi if im not using my laptop.

Im Connecting my internet through cable (RJ45) that are source from the wall.

The big question is, can I use any router to share my Internet

Is this at a college or simmilar setup? If it is, check with the network admins that this is allowed, as they can easily deletect and block you from doing this.

But normally a router will do this, you may need one that supports a captive portal, many travel routers support this.

letme get this straight

You are using your laptop to "become wifi" (I'm assuming your using it as a hotspot or wireless acess point for your phone) Is this correct?

What do you mean when you say "login to my account" what account? Are you on a bussiness network that has a wireless login?

If so make sure you are allowed to do this.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

I think I understand what your situation is. Maybe a raspberry pi setup as a wireless AP would do what you desire

@Kiki25

As @Electronics Wizardy recommended, please first get permission from IT to see if you can do this in the first place. They’ve put the restriction in for a reason. Trying to circumvent this restriction might result in all of your devices getting banned and then you’ll have NO internet at all!

They do this a lot in college/university dorms to keep network congestion down and prevent people from starting “rogue” APs all around campus which interfere with their own APs.

Approach them and explain your situation. For all you know, they might even be kind enough to add your second device without you having to do anything else.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is this at a college or simmilar setup? If it is, check with the network admins that this is allowed, as they can easily deletect and block you from doing this.

But normally a router will do this, you may need one that supports a captive portal, many travel routers support this.

Yes. Kinda similar. But in my situation im paying to this ISP. Yeah you may be right. I need to ask the administrator first. Just trying to search that the one with support captive portal kinda expensive for my budget.

8 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

letme get this straight

You are using your laptop to "become wifi" (I'm assuming your using it as a hotspot or wireless acess point for your phone) Is this correct?

What do you mean when you say "login to my account" what account? Are you on a bussiness network that has a wireless login?

If so make sure you are allowed to do this.

On your second line is true. As you said "What do you mean when you say "login to my account" what account?". Basically my internet source is only from using the cable LAN. So, when I want to use the Internet, I need to login using my account. When the first time I'm subscribe to my ISP, the ISP will provide me with the default login credentials.
As what you said "Are you on a bussiness network that has a wireless login?". No, I'm not. I'm just a customer that subscribe to the provided internet services.

7 hours ago, whispous said:

I think I understand what your situation is. Maybe a raspberry pi setup as a wireless AP would do what you desire

Yeah, that would be a good idea. But kinda out of my budget though. Because, im only have to buy a cheap normal wifi router.

5 minutes ago, Kiki25 said:

Yes. Kinda similar. But in my situation im paying to this ISP. Yeah you may be right. I need to ask the administrator first. Just trying to search that the one with support captive portal kinda expensive for my budget.

What is your budget?

But really talk to the isp or admin and see why the limited you to one device.

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Kiki25

As @Electronics Wizardy recommended, please first get permission from IT to see if you can do this in the first place. They’ve put the restriction in for a reason. Trying to circumvent this restriction might result in all of your devices getting banned and then you’ll have NO internet at all!

They do this a lot in college/university dorms to keep network congestion down and prevent people from starting “rogue” APs all around campus which interfere with their own APs.

Approach them and explain your situation. For all you know, they might even be kind enough to add your second device without you having to do anything else.

Thanks for the long reply. Yeah, i really should ask a permission first to my ISP. But for this case im paying for the Internet.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your budget?

Yes, I will approach them later.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your budget?

My budget is around $30 though. See on my local e-commerce, most of them is selling more than $80.

3 minutes ago, Kiki25 said:

My budget is around $30 though. See on my local e-commerce, most of them is selling more than $80.

There are some cheap ones like this guy that should work https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=travel+router&qid=1617931015&sr=8-2. Should support a captive portal too.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are some cheap ones like this guy that should work https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=travel+router&qid=1617931015&sr=8-2. Should support a captive portal too.

Thanks for the recommendation .. I'll for sure consider this one.