X570 - Gigabyte Aorus Elite or ASUS TUF Gaming Plus

Hey all!
I'm making plans for a new build, which will be used as a remote desktop client during the day, and a gaming rig at night. My current setup is:
Intel Core i7-4771 on Gigabyte B85M-D3H with 8GB DDR3 HyperX Fury Black running at 1866MHz CL10,

GPU is Sapphire RX470 4GB Nitro, and for storage I've got 120GB Kingston A400 SATA SSD and 1TB WD Black hard drive.

Power supply is Chieftec CTG-650C A80 Series and case is Chieftec LF-01B.

All that on two 24inch HP 1080p 60Hz monitors.

Although this setup runs most games at 1080p, it's time for an upgrade. The plan is to first buy CPU, MB and RAM now, and next year (when GPU prices come back to normal) to buy GPU, M.2 and a bigger monitor.

I've decided to go with Ryzen 5 5600X, and I'm gonna pair it with 2x16GB 3600MHz CL17 RAM (can't find faster modules here in Serbia).

Considering that I work as tech support, being a power user and knowing a thing or two about PC building, this is gonna be my first build (at the age of 30) and I want it right. Used a laptop for ages, and the build above was kinda forced to me.

So, for the MB, it's gonna be X570 chipset, I just can't decide between these two boards. So, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Elite or ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus?

I know both of them will do just fine, so I'm asking for your opinions.

I already know that TUF has slightly better VRMs and troubleshooting LED lights which Aorus doesn't have, but Aorus has more USB connectivity, Intel LAN and BIOS Flashback.
The problem is that Aorus is not in stock in Serbia, i will have to get it somewhere in Europe.

The big question is: is it worth buying the TUF Gaming Plus and hustling with older Ryzen to update the BIOS, or should I just get Aorus and update the BIOS without CPU?

Next year, I will be getting a RX6000 series GPU, 1TB NVMe Gen4 and a nice 27inch monitor. 

Any thoughts and tips are more than welcome!

5 minutes ago, stexvel said:

I just can't decide between these two boards.

boards or brands? they are the same thing.

If i were you, i'd just avoid Gigabyte.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

I'd honestly recommend going with the B550 chipset because you still get pci-e 4.0 support for what matters (first pci-e x16 slot and m.2) but you don't have to deal with the chipset fan and b550 boards are more recent designs, usually with better IO. 

Look at something like B550 Aorus Pro from Gigabyte or other models.  The VRMs are also often better than ones on x570 boards because they use newer mosfets or power stages with better ratings. 

Serbia ... makes it hard to suggest particular models, it would help to list models and prices.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking out amazon.co.uk or amazon.de and see if they'd ship to Serbia where you live. 

2 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

The TUF Pro has all those features

I'm aware of that, but TUF Pro costs 350$ here. TUF Plus is 250$, almost the same as Aorus Elite. For me, 350 bucks for a motherboard is a lot. I'm already at my upper limit with 250$.

1 minute ago, stexvel said:

I'm aware of that, but TUF Pro costs 350$ here. TUF Plus is 250$, almost the same as Aorus Elite. For me, 350 bucks for a motherboard is a lot. I'm already at my upper limit with 250$.

Oh that's alot higher. In the US, the TUF Plus is 200, and the pro is 220.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

Serbia ... makes it hard to suggest particular models, it would help to list models and prices.

Here is almost entire B550 stock in Serbia. Prices are really high...

Asus ROG STRIX B550-E - 330$
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F - 240$
Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus - 190$
Asus Prime B550-Plus - 180$

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master - 380$
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro - 260$
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite - 210$
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 - 180$
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X - 170$

AsRock B550 Taichi Razer - 390$
AsRock B550 PG Velocita - 280$
AsRock B550 Extreme4 - 230$
AsRock B550 Steel Legend - 210$
AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 - 150$

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon - 240$
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk - 220$
MSI MAG B550 Torpedo - 210$
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - 190$

The thing is Ryzen 5 3600 isn't really power hungry, so even the cheapest motherboard in the list will be more than adequate from a VRM point of view. 

Only if you plan to upgrade to a 12 core ryzen or higher, it's worth being more picky about motherboards, but even then a lot of 220-250$ boards can handle it. 

So it's all about

1. getting a motherboard with as many features as you think you're going to need as the first priority, 

2. possibility of future upgrades as the second (if it's important to you) 

3. looks and size ... do you must have ATX format with 4+ pci-e slots or you don't mind mATX (maybe you don't like having a short motherboard into a big case or maybe you must have more than 2 pci-e slots)

From the list ... MSI boards are fine, solid, but I think they cheap out on onboard audio on the cheaper models.. ex Bazooka and I think torpedo still use ALC892 which is ancient ... you have to go to Tomohawk to get ALC1200 while others use ALC1200 and ALC1220.

The cheaper ones are also kind of light on IO stuff on the back. 

Gigabyte ... I personally like them.  If I were to buy something now, I'd buy Aorus Pro V2  .. The Aorus Elite is cheaper and still quite OK, and the Gigabyte models tend to have more stuff on the IO shield. 

Even the cheaper Elite comes with ALC1200 sound, 2.5g ethernet for the Elite V2 model... 

They did a refresh of their models and the ones with V2 at the end have small improvements.. mostly they added front panel usb 10g header and I think the Elite V2 has 2.5g ethernet instead of regular 1gbps ethernet and small improvements. 

ASUS boards are overpriced, imho. Their prices should probably be 10% less across the board.  You don't get as much features as Gigabyte on the cheaper models. I may be wrong, didn't look at them in detail. 

Asrock ... avoid sub 200$ models, too many things cut to make them cheap... Steel Legend would be cheapest I'd get from them (from the list above) 

hardware unboxed did a roundup of B550 motherboards featuring most of the models you listed... they focused mostly on vrm and temperatures, and if you watch the videos you will see that pretty much all but a couple boards couldn't handle an overclocked 12core cpu or something like that... the 5600x would consume much less power and produce much less heat 

Here's the videos 

part 1, the cheaper boards, pretty much all mATX 

part 2, middle level boards ( a lot of the boards in your list are here ) 

part 3 , higher end stuff 

Also, if it saves you a significant enough amount of money, I'd say you could go with 3200 Mhz CL16..18 memory. Yeah, Ryzen 5xxx processors love and work best with 3600 Mhz memory, but the difference of performance between 3200 and 3600 Mhz is super small, like maybe 0.1% or something like that. 

I like my B550-F. Its my first AM4 board and its been great.

I prefer Asus over Gigabyte and MSI. I probably wouldn't even buy an MSI.. old feelings die hard.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

First of all, thanks a lot for the time taken to reply!

I was already considering and comparing lots of stuff between X570 and B550, including prices. In the end, I just concluded that I wouldn't go for sub-200$ B550 board, and I was okay with giving 30 or 40$ more for X570. The main reason is futureproofing (if that's even a word).

I doubt that CPU upgrade will happen if everything works good, but I will probably fit in another M.2 Gen4 in a year or two. Also, we are still far away from anything over 1gbps LAN, but if and when that happens, I wanna be ready for it with some spare pci-e slot. Also, I know that my GPU will not saturate even PCIe 3 lane, but it doesn't hurt having a PCIe 4 lane for that little price difference.

30 minutes ago, mariushm said:

3. looks and size ... do you must have ATX format with 4+ pci-e slots or you don't mind mATX (maybe you don't like having a short motherboard into a big case or maybe you must have more than 2 pci-e slots)

exactly both 🙂 I will stick with ATX format. It's a big case, and right now I don't need more than two PCI-e slots but I don't like to be limited by it if I ever need more.

I will definitely consider getting a higher-end B550 board for the same money again.

There is definitely less X570 boards here in stock, so my choices are really limited.

After many hours doing research, I still can not decide. Maybe it's about trusting the brand. I've had good experience with older Gigabyte boards, but no experience at all with Asus boards.