looking for fans with speed control with no RGB?

charloalberto

I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to find some decently priced fans with speed control, but no RGB. I absolutely definitely 100% don't care about RGB, though some white LEDs would be nice. And by the way, how do I connect 6 fans to my mobo and retain individual speed control over them? is individual control over every fan even worth the trouble?

1 minute ago, charloalberto said:

I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to find some decently priced fans with speed control, but no RGB. I absolutely definitely 100% don't care about RGB, though some white LEDs would be nice. And by the way, how do I connect 6 fans to my mobo and retain individual speed control over them? is individual control over every fan even worth the trouble?

Arctic P12/14 or Noctua A12x25. Fans do not need to be individually controlled, normally you would group them by location (e.g. 3 fans in front intake, 2 fans in top exhaust) and they would be put onto one header via a splitter assuming you are under the total current draw for the header.

2 minutes ago, charloalberto said:

how do I connect 6 fans to my mobo and retain individual speed control over them??

You should just by a fan controller

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Asrock B450 Pro4 has 5 fan headers that can be individually controlled....

i'm almost sure someone looking for "decently priced fans" have no budget to replace a whole motherboard, just to have enough fan headers...

15 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

You should just by a fan controller

Agree.  Keep your CPU fan on your mobo, but all your case fans can be put on a fan controller.  And any ole' 3 pin fan will work with a fan conroller.  Try these:
https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooling-acfan00125a-case-fan/p/N82E16835186221?Description=arctic&cm_re=arctic-_-35-186-221-_-Product&quicklink=true

Do you have a spare 5.25 front slot or a 3.5 front slot?  I can reccomend a controller for either.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

how about what case, motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, and GPU do you have? 

OK, so maybe i didn't explain myself very well, I'm sorry for that. Let me try to explain better: so I bought a Masterbox Q300L. It has 6 fan slots (slots? spots? spaces? anyway), and my motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-A320MA-M.2) only has 2 fan headers (PWM capable, according to manual). So, how can I populate these fan slots in a cost effective manner? I noticed the obvious difference between headers and fans, so probably a fan hub or a fan controller, right?

About speed control, I'm not really into the idea of controlling the speeds myself with a fan controller, I was more interested into giving the MOBO the ability to do so, but the more i think about it, the less it makes sense to me. Also, where I live PWM fans are ridiculously expensive. Maybe I should just group some non PWM fans into 2 hubs, each connected to a motherboard header, grouped by position (header closer to the front of the case controls 2 in the front and 1 at the bottom, header closer to the top controls 2 on the top, 1 in the back) and be done with it.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:41 PM, BiotechBen said:

in fairness, all fans can be speed controlled in some way, whether it be PWM or DC. 

yeah, I discovered that my mobo supports DC speed control out of the gate. just confirmed by consulting argus monitor, sys fans speeds are varying.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, narrdarr said:

how about what case, motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, and GPU do you have? 

Case is a Masterbox Q300L, CPU cooler is the one that came with my ryzen 1600, and GPU is a GTX 1060 6Gb, which I overclocked a bit.

It's not a very hot system, to be honest. Except the GPU, she sometimes get a little toasty.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:09 PM, shoutingsteve said:

Agree.  Keep your CPU fan on your mobo, but all your case fans can be put on a fan controller.  And any ole' 3 pin fan will work with a fan conroller.  Try these:
https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooling-acfan00125a-case-fan/p/N82E16835186221?Description=arctic&cm_re=arctic-_-35-186-221-_-Product&quicklink=true

Do you have a spare 5.25 front slot or a 3.5 front slot?  I can reccomend a controller for either.

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. I was actually interested in individual control but to be automatically managed, maybe by the bios or something like that. I have no interest in controlling fan speeds myself. Sorry if I caused confusion.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, For Science! said:

Arctic P12/14 or Noctua A12x25. Fans do not need to be individually controlled, normally you would group them by location (e.g. 3 fans in front intake, 2 fans in top exhaust) and they would be put onto one header via a splitter assuming you are under the total current draw for the header.

Way above my budget. affordable hardware is something really difficult to come by where I live.

About the grouping, it makes perfect sense, thanks! I think I'll just get 6 non PWM fans and group them between the 2 sys fan headers of my mobo. Some more questions: what are the advantages of using a hub over a splitter? How can I find the current draw a header supports? I had the impression that a hub would avoid the power draw problem a splitter presents.

7 minutes ago, charloalberto said:

Way above my budget. affordable hardware is something really difficult to come by where I live.

About the grouping, it makes perfect sense, thanks! I think I'll just get 6 non PWM fans and group them between the 2 sys fan headers of my mobo. Some more questions: what are the advantages of using a hub over a splitter? How can I find the current draw a header supports? I had the impression that a hub would avoid the power draw problem a splitter presents.

Fan hubs are not needed and a waste imo, only needed for things like RGB control. PWM control by modern motherboards are great enough, and headers can supply 1~2 A and so can accomodate usually 4+ fans. As for the fans you should get, you should specify a budget, otherwise its impossible to know what is "afforable" for you.

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Fan hubs are not needed and a waste imo, only needed for things like RGB control. PWM control by modern motherboards are great enough, and headers can supply 1~2 A and so can accomodate usually 4+ fans. As for the fans you should get, you should specify a budget, otherwise its impossible to know what is "afforable" for you.

how bad would i look if i said "as cheap as possible" lol

31 minutes ago, charloalberto said:

what fan-budget are we talking here?  "Way above my budget "

3 hours ago, charloalberto said:

this is not helpful, you are in dumpster diving territory for any free fan. Definitive budget using real numbers, or no further input from me at least.

the case isnt that great it suffers from poor airflow. which is deceptive considering all the holes in it. however your build is a low power build, so it doesnt put out a lot of heat. 

on to the best way to config your fans. dont worry about Individual control of each individual fan. I would use a pwm fan hub. this will link all the fan to the same speed as each other. the motherboard bios will control that speed. the other option would be 2 three way pwm fan splitter. this would give you 2 groups of three fans connected to each header. you can control each group. in the motherboard bios. yes each group runs at the same speed.

as for the fans. given your case you'll definitely want fans the focus on static pressure. 

arctic p12 fans pwm are a great cheap choice

edit

you can get arctic p12 pwm pst fan which you wouldn't even need splitters as the fans can daisy chain to each other. 

23 hours ago, charloalberto said:

About speed control, I'm not really into the idea of controlling the speeds myself with a fan controller, I was more interested into giving the MOBO the ability to do so, but the more i think about it, the less it makes sense to me. Also, where I live PWM fans are ridiculously expensive. Maybe I should just group some non PWM fans into 2 hubs, each connected to a motherboard header, grouped by position (header closer to the front of the case controls 2 in the front and 1 at the bottom, header closer to the top controls 2 on the top, 1 in the back) and be done with it.

- -

If you want more controllable headers, then USB connected fan controller is way to go. But those are expensive since most handle controlling with mobo headers. Splitter is restricted to mobos power delivery, hub has external SATA/molex power so you can connect up to 4.5A worth of fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Some cheap fans I just bought. Have yet to install them.

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Airflow-Computer-Cooling-NT12044-3/dp/B08HQPNZ8C/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=upHere+120mm+White+Case+Fan&qid=1617908475&sr=8-6

To have the mobo control the fans, use splitters or a hub. You have two headers, you will have two sets of fans.

Otherwise your looking at Either, a software controlled fan controller, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Fan-Controller-Commander-CL-9011110-WW/dp/B0725HP1J2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=case+fan+controller&qid=1617908768&sr=8-4

(a little overkill, but first thing that showed up)

Or

This guy offers auto or manual control across five headers:

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Sunshine-tipway-Controller-Temperature-Touchscreen/dp/B077NBKY2S/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=case+fan+speed+controller&qid=1617909129&sr=8-18

Cheap manual options similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Vaorwne-Channels-Cooling-Controller-Bracket/dp/B07ZHY8ZKD/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=case+fan+speed+controller&qid=1617909129&sr=8-14

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Sunshine-tipway-Controller-Control-Adjuster/dp/B077N5ZXMJ/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=case+fan+speed+controller&qid=1617909129&sr=8-19

My recommendation would be to just use splitters. 3 fans front intake, 3 fans - 2 top 1 rear, exhaust. You could possible get away with 2 intake, one exhaust, since you said your temps are good, save for the GPU. This will give you air flow and should help cool the GPU. You can also look at the fan curve for the GPU (I think this was mentioned).

GLHF