Can I use a 2nd graphics card as a capture card

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
Just now, RevplagueTv said:

From what I understood from others is that it helps the pc that you are gaming on when you say outsource the encoding and all to a 2nd pc using a capture card 

that is true but you have an 8 core CPU and your gpu has a decent encoder, so the impact should be minimal

Hey guys, so my pc I have has a i9-9900kf and  a 2080 super with 32gigs of ram, I dont know if the ram matters for this question. Im not to computer "literate" to say so I wanted to ask people who may actually know
So I stream and Im trying to find the cheapo way around getting a capture card but I do have my old 1060 laying around. Would I be able to use that as a capture card or anyway to help my stream, would it be beneficial to have 2 gpus or would it hurt and break things.  

are you trying to stream and game on the same PC or?

but the answer is no, a GPU cant be used as a capture card

but you may not need one

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

are you trying to stream and game on the same PC or?

but the answer is no, a GPU cant be used as a capture card

but you may not need one

Yea im trying to use one pc to game a stream on 

1 minute ago, RevplagueTv said:

Yea im trying to use one pc to game a stream on 

you dont need a capture card if the game is runing on the machine you intend to stream from

Just now, Moonzy said:

you dont need a capture card if the game is runing on the machine you intend to stream from

From what I understood from others is that it helps the pc that you are gaming on when you say outsource the encoding and all to a 2nd pc using a capture card 

Just now, RevplagueTv said:

that is true but you have an 8 core CPU and your gpu has a decent encoder, so the impact should be minimal

Your 2080 super has a great encoder built into it. Its what you should use. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you have the right graphics card, the capture function is built in. Not sure which models specifically do, off hand, but research will tell you. Even if you don't have such a card already, and can't afford or even find one right now, you can basically intercept the video you're already putting out via software, and capture that way. Yes, that will create more work for your system, but as noted you probably won't hurt it. A fair number of games are still single threaded, or won't use all of your cores, so there'll be resources free to do a 'soft capture' on the same machine. However, a second GPU or even capture card in the same system doesn't really reduce the load on the CPU and system in general. If you want that 'zero impact' capture, you need a whole second system to really do it right.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Your 2080 super has a great encoder built into it. Its what you should use. 

ok, then this just brought a 2nd question up. I use streamlabs obs, and I do notice frame drops on my stream sometimes, is there something im doing wrong or the program or is it just a "frame drop happens" type thing