What would you like to see? Kingpin vs 290x Lightning

deafboy
So I won't be doing any actual testing until next week. But thought in the mean time I would see what you guys would like to see tested.  Originally posted this up on OCN but figured you guys might like the info as well so figured I'd get some input from you all while I am at it.

Games? Benches? Clocks? Settings?

900x900px-LL-b6565e84_2014-03-2415.07.15

lol. and No, I only have 2 kingpins. I just have a third box from RMA'ing my first kingpin. I have a universal GPU waterblock that I could probably use for the testing. Kind of comes down to how much time I have.

Since the Lightning didn't fit in the TJ07 with the reservoir in place. Decided to move things to the 600T and just go with air and the H100i for testing. Pretty surprised at how big these cards are, lol. And yeah, definitely expecting the Kingpin to kill the Lightning, but I am excited to see the performance of the lightning, the stock cooler is just beasty on that thing.

The temp testing config as it sits right now.

900x900px-LL-ebea9f99_2014-03-2503.24.39

Anyways, let me know what you'd like to see done.

I obviously won't be able to test everything, but I will certainly do what I can.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

So I won't be doing any actual testing until next week. But thought in the mean time I would see what you guys would like to see tested.  Originally posted this up on OCN but figured you guys might like the info as well so figured I'd get some input from you all while I am at it.

Games? Benches? Clocks? Settings?

900x900px-LL-b6565e84_2014-03-2415.07.15

lol. and No, I only have 2 kingpins. I just have a third box from RMA'ing my first kingpin. I have a universal GPU waterblock that I could probably use for the testing. Kind of comes down to how much time I have.

Since the Lightning didn't fit in the TJ07 with the reservoir in place. Decided to move things to the 600T and just go with air and the H100i for testing. Pretty surprised at how big these cards are, lol. And yeah, definitely expecting the Kingpin to kill the Lightning, but I am excited to see the performance of the lightning, the stock cooler is just beasty on that thing.

The temp testing config as it sits right now.

900x900px-LL-ebea9f99_2014-03-2503.24.39

Anyways, let me know what you'd like to see done.

I obviously won't be able to test everything, but I will certainly do what I can.

You bought Kingpins, I hate every one of your cells.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I would say kingpins, mainly because I want to say where did the 3rd kingpin go?

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

You bought Kingpins, I hate every one of your cells.

:(

Do you have a room of money you roll in? Can I have a Kingpin? Scaling after two way SLI sucks :P

I wish :(  And good thing I only have two kingpins then ;)

I would say kingpins, mainly because I want to say where did the 3rd kingpin go?

RMA, I just got to keep the box and accessories and whatnot.

Test games at 720p just to be a dick to the Xbone :P

lol.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Custom BIOS ofc!

jk

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

:(

I wish :( And good thing I only have two kingpins then ;)

RMA, I just got to keep the box and accessories and whatnot.

lol.

The box is good enough :P

Actually, not kidding, if you put it in the store I'll buy it.

Nice cards... I think I recognize them...

;)

The box is good enough :P Actually, not kidding, if you put it in the store I'll buy it.

Haha, plan on keeping it :)

Will you be getting a Kingpin to review? Did you already get one? Maybe I just didn't see it.

He's had one... and I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

And I'm just going to leave this here.... kind of need to open it in a new tab to read it, but yeah.

Might try and work out those freeze/crash/DLL issues later on....maybe. Kind of drained, lol.

f0583d26_KingpinvsLightning.PNG

I should have asked this in the OCN thread but why haven't you pushed the KPEs past 1275 and the Lightning past 1200/1550? Or are they on the way?

lol.  Largely because they are all on air and on what I consider safe volts for 24/7 every day usage.  But the biggest reason is I did the max stable overclock across all programs/games that I have.  So while there is headroom in both cards, that headroom only exists in some programs and at different settings.  If there was a single artifact, I dialed it back and reran the tests.

I thought it was easier/cleaner than showing different clocks for every run, lol.

So yeah, I just thought this was the fairest representation for the setups.  More of an average or what one could probably expect with the cards on air, with safe volts.

The KPE definitely has way more headroom if cooled properly and pushed harder.  The Lightning does have some more headroom, but IMO not nearly as much.  The lightning didn't appear to have any temp issues even on air really.  The KPE on the other hand I noticed that I could push the clocks higher at the same volts, but when I crossed a certainly temp threshold that I would get artifacts.  It really seems like the KPE prefers to stay under 65C or so.  I think that's why people do so well on water with these.  Keeping that core temp lower really helps stabilize the higher clocks even with lower volts.  Found that pretty interesting.

Great work. I appreciate the time you put into this, I know it takes awhile.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

lol.  Largely because they are all on air and on what I consider safe volts for 24/7 every day usage.  But the biggest reason is I did the max stable overclock across all programs/games that I have.  So while there is headroom in both cards, that headroom only exists in some programs and at different settings.  If there was a single artifact, I dialed it back and reran the tests.

I thought it was easier/cleaner than showing different clocks for every run, lol.

So yeah, I just thought this was the fairest representation for the setups.  More of an average or what one could probably expect with the cards on air, with safe volts.

The KPE definitely has way more headroom if cooled properly and pushed harder.  The Lightning does have some more headroom, but IMO not nearly as much.  The lightning didn't appear to have any temp issues even on air really.  The KPE on the other hand I noticed that I could push the clocks higher at the same volts, but when I crossed a certainly temp threshold that I would get artifacts.  It really seems like the KPE prefers to stay under 65C or so.  I think that's why people do so well on water with these.  Keeping that core temp lower really helps stabilize the higher clocks even with lower volts.  Found that pretty interesting.

I think you should have gone with single KPE and dual 290x Lightnings. Those Hawaii cards scale tremendously: 8-pack just submitted his WR 35k score on 4way CFX with the cards on water (universal blocks even!).

I think you should have gone with single KPE and dual 290x Lightnings. Those Hawaii cards scale tremendously: 8-pack just submitted his WR 35k score on 4way CFX with the cards on water (universal blocks even!).

The second KPE and Lightning were more impulse purchases than anything.  I never really intended to do the comparison until after I bought the cards.

Although I wish I would have waited for the new drivers, lol.  Oh well though.