Can Arctic Silver 5 damage your motherboard if a small amount of it gets on the motherboard?

ZeRedz

I was doing some research on thermal paste and found out that the Silver 5 is conductive. Does that mean the Silver 5 is capable of doing serious damage if even a bit of it gets on a motherboard or a GPU PCB?

2 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

I was doing some research on thermal paste and found out that the Silver 5 is conductive. Does that mean the Silver 5 is capable of doing serious damage if even a bit of it gets on a motherboard or a GPU PCB?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm#:~:text=Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat%2C not electricity.&text=While it is not electrically,close-proximity electrical paths.)

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

Also theres an ancient LTT topic covering this - 

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Guess I'll go for the silver 5 then!

32 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

Guess I'll go for the silver 5 then!

Though in the end they mention - While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.

But thats probably the case with most pastes.

28 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Though in the end the mention - While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.

But thats probably the case with most pastes.

Yes, any paste can cause issues if it gets on the right place on your motherboard, but generally it's not something you have to worry about if you don't like put half the tube on the CPU.

The concern with liquid metal pastes is that the metal can actually leak out over time. That's not something that happens with traditional pastes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Yes, any paste can cause issues if it gets on the right place on your motherboard, but generally it's not something you have to worry about if you don't like put half the tube on the CPU.

The concern with liquid metal pastes is that the metal can actually leak out over time. That's not something that happens with traditional pastes.

The liquid metal cooling compound is usually not called "paste" in the web. 
But yeah, usually consisting of gallium and indium does also "eat/corrode" aluminium.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3362-how-liquid-metal-affects-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test

41 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

No it should be fine. But, if you did happen to get some on the PCB of the mobo or GPU, then just use some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth to get rid of it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I don't want to say AS5 is harmless, but it the 10 years or more, leaning towards more.. that I have been using, I haven't had any issues with it. It is not remotely as dangerous as LM is.

For what it is, and as long as it has been around.. its actually pretty decent still. I've used some of the top TIMS, not much difference. Its there, but not as huge as some would make you believe.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's