Is this a decent PSU for what I need?

ProjectBox153

I've been looking at the EVGA 700 BQ lately. I need a new PSU for a secondary machine I have to replace the unit I'm using temporarily. It's not a very power hungry machine, and the PSU I have right now works fine, but it's not technically ATX and doesn't fit in the case, hence the need for a new one. I'll list the specs below for reference. I know 700W is way more than I need, but I'd like something that has some headroom for expansion as well as something that I can move forward to a new machine down the line (it'll be a couple years until I upgrade this machine). 

So, my question is: is the 700 BQ decent for what I need?

Here's the specs of the machine in question:

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T, stock)

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB GPU

Intel stock cooler

2 case fans (might add more later, the case is new and I still need to test thermals)

2 DVD-RW drives 

1 SSD, I might add a mechanical hard drive later on

The current PSU is an old Dell 750W unit that is ATX in every way except height. It's too tall to fit in most standard cases as it was designed for a custom Dell XPS case originally. Other than that it's completely standard.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I've been looking at the EVGA 700 BQ lately. I need a new PSU for a secondary machine I have to replace the unit I'm using temporarily. It's not a very power hungry machine, and the PSU I have right now works fine, but it's not technically ATX and doesn't fit in the case, hence the need for a new one. I'll list the specs below for reference. I know 700W is way more than I need, but I'd like something that has some headroom for expansion as well as something that I can move forward to a new machine down the line (it'll be a couple years until I upgrade this machine). 

So, my question is: is the 700 BQ decent for what I need?

Here's the specs of the machine in question:

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T, stock)

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB GPU

Intel stock cooler

2 case fans (might add more later, the case is new and I still need to test thermals)

2 DVD-RW drives 

1 SSD, I might add a mechanical hard drive later on

The current PSU is an old Dell 750W unit that is ATX in every way except height. It's too tall to fit in most standard cases as it was designed for a custom Dell XPS case originally. Other than that it's completely standard.

Its overkill actually

You'll be totally fine lol

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Just now, davemc said:

Its overkill actually

You'll be totally fine lol

I get that it's overkill - that wasn't my question. I was wondering if it's actually a decent PSU. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I get that it's overkill - that wasn't my question. I was wondering if it's actually a decent PSU. 

Oh yea, for that system its definitely reliable enough

Evga is a reputable company

EDIT: Contrary to what people seem to think, this does not mean im an EVGA fanboy or I believe all EVGA products will work and are reliable or anything. I am simply saying you could do a lot worse than EVGA and you would be more likely to get a successful RMA ect. with EVGA as opposed to some random never heard of company

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, davemc said:

If you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about, please have the decency to not just say random crap that misleads others. 🙂 Leave that for the 12 year old fanboys out there, and J2C.

12 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

The 700W variant in particular is fairly new, with pretty much no useful info on it that I could find. It was 80+ certified in March 2020, vs 2013-2016 for the others. As with any other PSU, assume it's garbage until proven otherwise. According to EVGA themselves, it's rated at 40C, it has a DBB fan, and 700W on the 12V rail, which indicates that it has DC-DC for the minor rails, just like the other PSUs in the BQ series. If it's similar to the other PSUs in the BQ series, it's made by either Andyson or HEC, double forward with DC-DC, and should be okay for entry level systems.

If you want something you can use with higher end components, invest in higher quality, not just higher wattage. There are several good options at ~$90-110. E.g. the MSI A650GF $90, TT GF1 650W $105, Enermax Revolution DF 650W $109, and MSI A750GF $110. Those would be better choices, imo, if you're planning on getting a high end GPU in the future.

:)

42 minutes ago, davemc said:

good company =/= good product, but in this case its good enough.

Its recomended for low end systems (which would mean less power draw), which this is.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The 700W variant in particular is fairly new, with pretty much no useful info on it that I could find. It was 80+ certified in March 2020, vs 2013-2016 for the others. As with any other PSU, assume it's garbage until proven otherwise. According to EVGA themselves, it's rated at 40C, it has a DBB fan, and 700W on the 12V rail, which indicates that it has DC-DC for the minor rails, just like the other PSUs in the BQ series. If it's similar to the other PSUs in the BQ series, it's made by either Andyson or HEC, double forward with DC-DC, and should be okay for entry level systems.

Interesting, thanks for the info. 

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you want something you can use with higher end components, invest in higher quality, not just higher wattage. There are several good options at ~$90-110. E.g. the MSI A650GF $90, TT GF1 650W $105, Enermax Revolution DF 650W $109, and MSI A750GF $110. Those would be better choices, imo, if you're planning on getting a high end GPU in the future.

Trust me, I know that wattage is in no way indicative of quality. I rarely buy PSUs (the last one I bought was in 2019), and they aren't something I'm super interested in usually, so I don't know what all the current models are and everything. This system is not at all likely to get a higher end GPU anytime soon. I have a Radeon R9 270 that I'd like to use, but the card is dead and I don't think it'll be fixable right now. In the future I might put my RX 570 4GB into this system if I upgrade from it as my main GPU, but that card isn't very power hungry. My current main machine only has a 450W PSU for the 570 and a Ryzen 7, and it has absolutely no issues. 

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about, please have the decency to not just say random crap that misleads others. 🙂 Leave that for the 12 year old fanboys out there, and J2C.

What I am trying to say is that you could do a lot worse than EVGA and this power supply, and also im not a fanboy as I dont even use one in my main rig.

For the price its a good budget power supply. Obviously the ones you listed are better, but they are also more expensive. For this system its more than enough

What I meant by EVGA was a reputable company is that it would be more likely to get a warranty honored or an RMA with a big, well known company like EVGA as opposed to some random chinese company. I wasnt fanboying by saying that

18 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

good company =/= good product, but in this case its good enough.

Its recomended for low end systems (which would mean less power draw), which this is.

I didnt mean that every EVGA product is good, just that someone should feel more comfortable buying a 700w 80+ bronze from EVGA as opposed to some random company no ones heard of

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, davemc said:

For the price its a good budget power supply

Okay, so how did you figure this out? Did you find any actual reviews for it that I didn't? Because if you did not, that sort of means that you just assumed a product is good, just because you like EVGA. Read this part of my reply:

26 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about, please have the decency to not just say random crap that misleads others. 🙂

16 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Interesting, thanks for the info. 

Trust me, I know that wattage is in no way indicative of quality. I rarely buy PSUs (the last one I bought was in 2019), and they aren't something I'm super interested in usually, so I don't know what all the current models are and everything. This system is not at all likely to get a higher end GPU anytime soon. I have a Radeon R9 270 that I'd like to use, but the card is dead and I don't think it'll be fixable right now. In the future I might put my RX 570 4GB into this system if I upgrade from it as my main GPU, but that card isn't very power hungry. My current main machine only has a 450W PSU for the 570 and a Ryzen 7, and it has absolutely no issues. 

With just an RX 570, you should be more than fine with e.g. a CX450 for $55. However it only has a single PCIe connector.

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Okay, so how did you figure this out? Did you find any actual reviews for it that I didn't? Because if you did not, that sort of means that you just assumed a product is good, just because you like EVGA. Read this part of my reply:

I read a Tomshardware review on a BQ 850 and a forum about the BQ 650

Personally I wouldn't buy it, not because its a bad unit, but because 80+ Gold pricing is so close. However, the BQ seems to be a fine power supply for a system like this.

Also, it is ranked C tier on the LTT psu tier list, which isn't amazing but is more than fine for an i7 2600 and a 550 ti

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Leave that for the 12 year old fanboys out there

Have you acquired the trademark for this phrase yet?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

20 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

Have you acquired the trademark for this phrase yet?

🤣🤣🤣

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler