Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh Performance problem

flickofdawrist

I'm trying to install the HDD in the cage as the motherboard manual says, but the second cable that needs to be plugged in doesn't have enough space unless I unscrew the backplate. Am I doing something wrong? Hope my explanation is good enough.
image.png.228a2e7407009579cba612d896f2deb5.png

The backplate:
image.png.80febd0c83487fb1797fe182f67a15c8.png

@Jason 57@TVwazhere maybe you guys can help

Can you attach a photo of the fitment issue? I haven't heard any reported issues about this till now. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can you attach a photo of the fitment issue? I haven't heard any reported issues about this till now. 

The cable I showed in the first picture won't reach the HDD connector because the metal stops it from reaching. Let me know if you still want the picture.

2 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

The cable I showed in the first picture won't reach the HDD connector because the metal stops it from reaching. Let me know if you still want the picture.

I would; from what I can tell the cutouts should be enough for both SATA power and SATA data connectors. 

However, I dont see a reason why removing the back plate would cause issue with the sleds falling out that side of the case (the photo may clarify), so you could just remove it and proceeds normal even if that's not exactly the ideal way of doing it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I would; from what I can tell the cutouts should be enough for both SATA power and SATA data connectors. 

However, I dont see a reason why removing the back plate would cause issue with the sleds falling out that side of the case (the photo may clarify), so you could just remove it and proceeds normal even if that's not exactly the ideal way of doing it. 

Here you go.

Without plate:
81-D8-FF53-000-C-47-BE-A411-216-CE4-DFD59-C.jpg.995a0176459caf03b355f64ddf8d50d2.jpg

With plate, only going halfway in:
E9-C55666-A21-E-4737-97-E2-F3-EA5-C58-C23-B.jpg.bc71d77bd1cc5c1323b220deed123949.jpg

2 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

Here you go.

Without plate:

I see, not what I was picturing. Could be a number of things that's causing the HDD to be not in deep enough, however I se no reason why your cage needs the backplane, so you can safely leave it removed 🙂 

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I see, not what I was picturing. Could be a number of things that's causing the HDD to be not in deep enough, however I se no reason why your cage needs the backplane, so you can safely leave it removed 🙂 

So there's no way of fixing it? 😞

10 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

So there's no way of fixing it? 😞

We'd have to look at how the HDD is mounted in the sled, how the sled is fitting in the cage, if the cage is somehow shifted, etc. 

Essentially, a lot of troubleshooting that's mute when you can just remove the back plate with a few screws. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. 

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

We'd have to look at how the HDD is mounted in the sled, how the sled is fitting in the cage, if the cage is somehow shifted, etc. 

Essentially, a lot of troubleshooting that's mute when you can just remove the back plate with a few screws. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. 

Hopefully @Jason 57 has a solution since he has the same case.

While you're still here, the case fans, probably the frontal ones only, not sure if I heard the back one as well, are slightly rubbing onto the plastic making a bit of noise as if they're not centered properly. I think this also happens to the middle fan inside the Dark Rock Pro 4 (either that or this one is slightly louder ?). What can be done?

Is it a buzzing sound, or like a tch tch tch tch tch sound like something in the spokes of a bicycle wheel? Constant Buzzing sounds could be motor noise, a tch tch tch could either be something interfering with the fan, or the screw holding the case fans down are loose causing them to vibrate with the case just a little bit. 

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Is it a buzzing sound, or like a tch tch tch tch tch sound like something in the spokes of a bicycle wheel? Constant Buzzing sounds could be motor noise, a tch tch tch could either be something interfering with the fan, or the screw holding the case fans down are loose causing them to vibrate with the case just a little bit. 

Nevermind, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is actually fine. It's the case fans that have this noise going on. I don't know, it's kind of like a continuous bzzzzz coming from the middle of the fan.

1 minute ago, flickofdawrist said:

continuous bzzzzz coming from the middle of the fan.

That would be the motor in the fan hub. Try adjusting the RPMs a bit higher or lower and see if it goes away. Some fan motors will buzz at certain frequencies while others have no issues at any RPMs. 

Examples below:

Artic P12's at 1000rpm

Try adjusting the RPMs a bit higher or lower and see if it goes away.

It won't go away. So there's no other way of fixing it? Also I think I hear some slight friction on the right side of the fan.

1 hour ago, flickofdawrist said:

Here you go.

Without plate:
81-D8-FF53-000-C-47-BE-A411-216-CE4-DFD59-C.jpg.995a0176459caf03b355f64ddf8d50d2.jpg

E9-C55666-A21-E-4737-97-E2-F3-EA5-C58-C23-B.jpg.bc71d77bd1cc5c1323b220deed123949.jpg

AH!!

Yeah you just have to push it in until it clicks. 

I know that sounds not fun, but it will work. As you can see from your picture, your data cable has a lock on it. Just push until it clicks.

The other option you have is to purchase SATA Data cables that are straight on connectors instead of the 90 degree ones.

If it makes you feel better, I had to all 3 bays. That bottom one was NOT fun.1908737372_InstallingALLthedrives.jpg.e438425948432f02b279526bdb70fe46.jpg

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Now I wish I had done that. It would have been easier! (Seriously, I do not know why I didn't see the back plate as being removable.)

The plate is just there for if you purchase the hot swappable cage for them. Because it has those connectors already installed on it. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

5 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

It won't go away. So there's no other way of fixing it? Also I think I hear some slight friction on the right side of the fan.

Remove the fan entirely from the case, keep it plugged in and see if it vibrates or makes noise on it's own. If it does, it's definitely the motor hub and other than tearing it apart (which is something I am not knowledgeable on and cannot advise on) then it is not fixable. 

4 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

Have you removed the front of the case and listened to it? Or observed it closer?

If the fan is rubbing against the fan cage, then it is not centered like it should be. 

Try manually spinning it (with the tower off) and see if you feel where it is, and if it is all the fan blades or just one.

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

28 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

Yeah you just have to push it in until it clicks. 

It worked :D. I didn't want to push it to hard, but it seems fine. 

23 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

Have you removed the front of the case and listened to it? Or observed it closer?

I took the front panel off. Do your fans sound flawless? As in all your hear is air being pulled in and nothing else?

45 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

It worked :D. I didn't want to push it to hard, but it seems fine. 

I took the front panel off. Do your fans sound flawless? As in all your hear is air being pulled in and nothing else?

Yeah it seems scary about it. I have never had to push that hard on a plug before. (granted it has been 15 years using SATA now.)

I haven't felt or heard anything on mine, and they are at head level for me. 

(Of course, I also have lost hearing over the years working in the Navy.) But I am pretty sure my daughter, who also uses it to play games, would probably tell me something. 

But like @TVwazhere said, remove it, leaving it plugged in, and see what happens. If it still rubs, than contact Lian LI about it. 

Hopefully they would just RMA the fan. Because there is NO WAY I would return that case. Hell, I would go buy some Artic fans if it came down to it. 

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Remove the fan entirely from the case, keep it plugged in and see if it vibrates or makes noise on it's own. If it does, it's definitely the motor hub and other than tearing it apart (which is something I am not knowledgeable on and cannot advise on) then it is not fixable. 

12 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

But like @TVwazhere said, remove it, leaving it plugged in, and see what happens. If it still rubs, than contact Lian LI about it.

Took it out and it seems that the noise is coming from the middle of it.

12 minutes ago, flickofdawrist said:

Took it out and it seems that the noise is coming from the middle of it.

Yeah, that would be the actual motor of the fan. @TVwazherewould you agree?

If you have the money and want the bling, the Lian Li uni-fans (only in 120MM) are available finally, just a bit more over MSRP than I want to pay. 

But get the fans that were suggested above. while you get a hold of Lian Li customer support to RMA the fan. 

Just remember the powered fan hub can handle 6 for power only, not RGB.  

Actually, now that I think of it. I don't think I have seen pictures of your whole setup yet. 

3 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

Yeah, that would be the actual motor of the fan. @TVwazherewould you agree?

100%. A buzz or hum coming from the center of the PC is either due to an electrical issue with the motor or an imbalanced or improperly lubricated fan bearing (however given the new-ness of the fan it's definitely motor)

26 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

Yeah, that would be the actual motor of the fan.

100%. A buzz or hum coming from the center of the PC is either due to an electrical issue with the motor or an imbalanced or improperly lubricated fan bearing (however given the new-ness of the fan it's definitely motor)

It's kinda weird that all 3 case fans have the same noise.

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

i had new coolermaster fans that the barring was broken not in 1 fan but 2. it vibrated so bad i stopped using them. and i was about to fill my pc of em round 24ish fan good thing i only got 2 sets of 3. this is when i was new to rgb and had no idea. there are other problems with the fans but that was the wrest part.  safe to say i dont like coolermaster.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

17 hours ago, flickofdawrist said:

It's kinda weird that all 3 case fans have the same noise.

HMMM. 

I just switched mine to High speed and felt them. The only thing I can really feel or hear is what I think people call coil whine. 

But, this is coming from an old man who has lost some hearing over time. [especially on the frequency of my wife's voice. YEAH that's why I don't always here her. 🙂]

No matter what, it is up to you and your judgement on if you think they are bad. I would contact Lian Li customer support, and see if you can exchange for a fresh set. 

I guess I am lucky that mine seem fine. Now my debate is do I still want to get a 120MM fan to blow up towards the GPU and a 140MM exhaust on top/rear. 

I am not really running high end parts, so I am not really sweating it. 

19 hours ago, flickofdawrist said:

I apologize for not seeing this yesterday. 

I am off work today, so I am sitting here next to it. 

As I stated above, sure there is a little bit of vibration when I increase speed, but not enough to be concerned over. 

If it bothers you, you could either purchase, or find some rubber that you can cut out to mount between the fan cage and the case. (I don't think you will need longer screws, but don't take that for certain.) That will help to isolate the vibration to just the fan and it's housing. 

If you look closely as fans or any other spinning machine that claims to be quieter, they use rubber mounts between the machine and where it is mounted to. This doesn't allow the vibration to transfer to the rest of the system. (you might have an example in your kitchen, look at how your garbage disposal is mounted to the drain piping under the sink.)

Ok, now I am drifting a bit further off topic.