Nvidia updated roadmap shows Maxwell dropped features and Volta

GoodBytes

Anandtech noticed something between the old Nvidia road map, and the new:

Old:

OldRoadmap.jpg

New:

PascalRoadmap.jpg

As you can see, Maxwell no longer lists it's unified virtual memory, and instead shows only "DX12", indicating that it will have full DirectX12 features.

In addition, Volta is gone from the map. Instead we have Pascal, which it will have Maxwell Unified memory.

Volta looks like has been pushed after Pascal, is what can be speculated.

As of today that roadmap has more or less been thrown out. No products have been removed, but what Maxwell is and what Volta is have changed, as has the pacing. Maxwell for its part has “lost” its unified virtual memory feature. This feature is now slated for the chip after Maxwell, and in the meantime the closest Maxwell will get is the software based unified memory feature being rolled out in CUDA 6. Furthermore NVIDIA has not offered any further details on second generation Maxwell (the higher performing Maxwell chips) and how those might be integrated into professional products.

As far as NVIDIA is concerned, Maxwell’s marquee feature is now DirectX 12 support (though even the extent of this isn’t perfectly clear), and that with the shipment of the GeForce GTX 750 series, Maxwell is now shipping in 2014 as scheduled. We’re still expecting second generation Maxwell products, but at this juncture it does not look like we should be expecting any additional functionality beyond what Big Kepler + 1st Gen Maxwell can achieve.

Meanwhile Volta has been pushed back and stripped of its marquee feature. It’s on-package DRAM has been promoted to the GPU before Volta, and while Volta still exists, publicly it is a blank slate. We do not know anything else about Volta beyond the fact that it will come after the 2016 GPU.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7900/nvidia-updates-gpu-roadmap-unveils-pascal-architecture-for-2016

Meh, these roadmaps actually tell me that the 800 series are outdated before even released if they have Pascal in development already.

mmh I think they are kind of milkin us by not releasing what we want ( Semi-affordable 4K pushers )

Sick of the sh*t Nvidia 

Sick of the sh*t Nvidia 

lets hope AMD makes them use their old roadmap again....

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

lets hope AMD makes them use their old roadmap again....

:D

Meh, these roadmaps actually tell me that the 800 series are outdated before even released if they have Pascal in development already.

mmh I think they are kind of milkin us by not releasing what we want ( Semi-affordable 4K pushers )

every chip manufacture does that, they always have in development future revision before releasing the latest one, i read a post last year saying that nvidia have 3 teams of engineers working on future architectures, the people working on pascal are probably the same that worked fermi, and maxwell the guys from tesla, this isn't a new thing

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

ofcourse they have pascal in development already....they probably have the next 10 years planned out..

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

This doesn't surprise me at all. Money is priority after all. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

LONG LIVE PASCAL ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Considering AMD hasn't really pushed anything to truly compete with Nvidia,that's to be expected.It's about money after all.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

LONG LIVE PASCAL ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

dammit you broke the matrix -__- jk

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

no shiet it's outdated, they always work 2 generations ahead like every other tech industry

-__-

dammit you broke the matrix -__- jk

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Oh great Pascal. Creator of perfect scaling. We name thy king.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

no shiet it's outdated, they always work 2 generations ahead like every other tech industry

-__-

I don't care about your "No Shiet" It's just that I dislike the fact they do it.

They don't give us what they CAN give us.

I don't care about your "No Shiet" It's just that I dislike the fact they do it.

No they can't give it to us. Three reasons would be that Pascal is still in development and they have already invested in the manufacturing of Maxwell so discontinuing Maxwell would put them in the hole. Second is they might not even be done with Pascal. They just know it will be done in the future. Third is if they released Pascall tomorrow there is a real possibility AMD would die due to the inferiority of both their CPUs and GPUs. Which is in reality a bad thing for Nvidia since they can't charge a premium for being better then AMD if they don't exist.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

then have fun with your lack of progress, as they try to cram in some new features some how after they finish a generation, and with completely random launch times.

then have fun with your lack of progress, as they try to cram in some new features some how after they finish a generation, and with completely random launch times.

Have fun with my lack of progress? What?

Nvidia would kill AMD if they released their newer cards now, then we'd lose competitive pricing and options. Who would be OK with a GTX 780 at $700 still? Or a GTX 780 Ti at $1,000 instead?

It would have happened if AMD were dead.

Not to mention, it takes time to fully develop. Volta disappeared on the new map and Maxwell can't support unified memory, it's taking them longer to develop than they thought, so they had to place Pascal ahead with different plans instead.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If Nvidia would release Pascal this Year AMD would go out of business.
A single Pascal GPU should make the TITAN Z look like low end.

Nvidia is getting in the Intel situation where they can lay back and push prices.

:( 

RTX2070OC 

Nvidia is getting in the Intel situation where they can lay back and push prices.

Pascal is nowhere near ready, I doubt even the distribution is close to being ready, let alone the technology. I'm sure Nvidia wishes they could automatically forget about research and development and instantly release products, it would save them a boatload of money.

Just because something is in development doesn't mean they "CAN give it to us". Just because you can make 1 of something doesn't mean you can make 1000 of them, it takes time and money to get fabrication processes in place to manufacture new technologies. 

Until we decide to just stop inventing stuff you will never have the "latest & greatest". The latest and greatest will always be on the desk of an engineer somewhere. 

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

How so? AMD cards may run hotter (mostly due to a poor cooler design) and use a little more power, but the 290/290x is every bit as good as a 780. Sure, they don't have something to go up against the 780Ti, at least not that's a single card, but they aren't in the same position on the GPU side as they are on the CPU side. That would be more like if the 290/290x were only competitive with a 770, but was priced like a 760. They still compete in the high end on the video card front, and I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

You say Nvidia can just lay back and push prices, but just look at how they had to adjust all their prices down when the R9's lauched. I bet that if mining wasn't a thing, and if you were able to find AMD's high end cards at their MSRP's, we would see a lot more people going to the red team, or Nvidia would have had to make more price adjustments to compensate.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Sick of the sh*t Nvidia 

Sick of what sh*t?  For all we know the technology they need to bring those cards to mainstream may not be here yet.

Look at all the crap that Nvidia is doing, all the stuff they're planning to release, what's AMD doing?  Making a new API and throwing more cores+ hotter cards at us?  Atleast Nvidia is trying to come up with new ideas and push the industry.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Sick of what sh*t?  For all we know the technology they need to bring those cards to mainstream may not be here yet.

Look at all the crap that Nvidia is doing, all the stuff they're planning to release, what's AMD doing?  Making a new API and throwing more cores+ hotter cards at us?  Atleast Nvidia is trying to come up with new ideas and push the industry.

lol you don;t even know what I'm talking about :D console scrub