Switching to console?

Rabald

So.. My graphics card died (R9 290). And as you know, prices are high and availability are low for a new graphic cards. Which makes it almost impossible to find a remplacement ...

At the moment I have not been able to find a reasonable priced graphics card, which makes that I haven't played a game in two months with friends. Especially that last part ennoys me (not been able to play online game with friends).

Because of that I thought it might be a good idea to buy a PS4 (as I mostly play warzone with friends, and wrz is crossplatform). So, that I can at least play some games, and maybe in year upgrade the full computer.

Now my question is, is this a good idea? And what is your experience/ opinion on playing warzone with mouse and keyboard on PS4?

Taking in account that I never have owned a console before.

Thank you in advance.

PS4's are fairly cheap, to my knowledge KB/M input is pretty refined

Not a bad idea for a replacement seeing that they go for like <300$

I've only ever played one game on my PS4 with KB/M and it was fine

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yes I think most pc enthusiasts will drop the "pc is better" pretense and say the ps4 is a decent alternative currently

-> Moved to Console Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I dont know about input lag on PS4 but on xbox one i pluged mouse and keyboard and it had terrible lag.But there is thing i think its called XIM APEX adapter which helps with that and it fixes your input lag.

I’ve seen some people have luck hunting down PS5s, so they’re probably a tad less difficult to find than a video card. If you can be patient for just a bit longer, could just go PS5. If you’re not doing anything else that requires gpu power on the PC, I’d probably go PS5 and not look back. 😉

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’ve seen some people have luck hunting down PS5s, so they’re probably a tad less difficult to find than a video card. If you can be patient for just a bit longer, could just go PS5. If you’re not doing anything else that requires gpu power on the PC, I’d probably go PS5 and not look back. 😉

Yeah PS4 are very overpriced right now. So overpriced that after I got my PS5 I sold my 4.5 year old PS4 Slim for $220, which is exactly what I paid for it brand new in 2016. I couldn't believe seeing a Gamestop ad list it as a deal for a used PS4 Pro for $390 when PS5 Digital is $10 more and much much more powerful.

• 1 month later...

Why not get a replacement GPU.

if i am not mistaken the R9 290 goes for around 80-150 euro's

Spending that is much better than spending over 200-300 euro on a Game-console. that will be collecting dust when GPU prices are back to normal

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 hours ago, SixtyfpsGaming said:

My opinion as of right now PC gaming is DOA i honestly hate PC gaming. i think consoles offer a better experience. I been building PCs for a long time and playing PC games even longer. All this power on PC yet it isnt used properly. you are not missing anything 

The fact that consoles are back to doing 60 fps gaming and even some 120 fps gaming really takes the luster off PC gaming for me. Even without the current gpu price lunacy the current gen consoles are just too good of value to pass up. I have a PS5 and imagine I'll probably just buy a Series X later on for the Microsoft exclusives since I think it's going to be a long long time before I can do a PC upgrade for $500 that would give me that kind of performance. Before the mining craze price bumps it would have cost me $700 for a 2080 Super, $330 for a 3700x, $100 for a board, $80 for RAM, and $130 for a 1TB PCIE-4.0 SSD = $1340 to upgrade my PC to match Series X's rasterization performance (though I'd have DLSS and better raytracing). Plus without any of the headaches of using Bluetooth on Windows where I have controllers and headphones drop out every once in a while, while never having that problem with controllers nor plugging headphones into the controller wired on console.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:01 PM, AzzaNezz said:

I dont know about input lag on PS4 but on xbox one i pluged mouse and keyboard and it had terrible lag.But there is thing i think its called XIM APEX adapter which helps with that and it fixes your input lag.

Not sure if that'll let you use all the keys. It works by tricking your console into thinking that your K&M is a controller which means that many people consider it cheating as games such as Fortnite will put you with other people using K&M and Apex just straight up bans anyone who uses K&M on console.

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

1 hour ago, BingBong71 said:

Not sure if that'll let you use all the keys. It works by tricking your console into thinking that your K&M is a controller which means that many people consider it cheating as games such as Fortnite will put you with other people using K&M and Apex just straight up bans anyone who uses K&M on console.

If the game is supported by KBM like warzone is then you will play it without problem.

15 hours ago, AzzaNezz said:

If the game is supported by KBM like warzone is then you will play it without problem.

I meant the XIM adapter

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

4 hours ago, BingBong71 said:

I meant the XIM adapter

It wont get you banned in warzone

On 3/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, Rabald said:

Now my question is, is this a good idea? And what is your experience/ opinion on playing warzone with mouse and keyboard on PS4?

I can assure you, it's a pleasant experience. I used to play on a ps4 with my basic wireless keyboard and a steelseries rival 110 mouse. It was a plug and play type of deal, it felt really good, and outside of switching dpi on the mouse i didn't touch anything.

In regards to the "switch" i gotta say it's not a bad idea. Taking into account the crypto crap, annoying af scalpers, we can only debate when will it end. Maybe 3 more months, a year, maybe even 5 or at all? Prices are alltime high, people buying 4-5 year old cards just to have anything. I thing that's the only good thing out of this litle "crysis" Old hardware is being considered and it's given a second chance.

Goin back the gaming experience. Buying the damn ps4 was one of my best decisions ever (hardware wise). No distractions, no fuss, basically no problem. Just you and the game. I mean look at the state of pc gaming now. Literally no triple A pc exclusives worth while. MMORG's got stale, RTS genre is dead besides SC2 of course.

Yes, yes, i know the usual suspects - AoE2, CoH2, WC3. 

It doesn't make sense to me. If you just want to play and have fun, i cannot justify paying double or triple for a system just to play ported games. Only pc fanboys will tell you to buy a rig regardless of price.