Need some help to undevolt/oc my rtx 3070 if possible.

Hello, I recently got a 3070 and I want to undervolt/oc it but i do not know how.. i watch all the tutorials, i still dont understand , and i dont want to do it my self and make mistakes.. if someone is willing to come on discord and help me to do it that would be great, i dont have any friends that know that can help me so here I am, thank you very much, and sorry for the silly question.

31 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

Hello, I recently got a 3070 and I want to undervolt/oc it but i do not know how.. i watch all the tutorials, i still dont understand , and i dont want to do it my self and make mistakes.. if someone is willing to come on discord and help me to do it that would be great, i dont have any friends that know that can help me so here I am, thank you very much, and sorry for the silly question.

Well I found I couldn’t understand discord though I did get it to work after a fashion.  The thing remains immensely confusing to me.  This I suspect would take me off possibles for this.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

i dont want to do it my self and make mistakes

Mistakes are how we learn

Also if you undervolt too far you won't damage anything, you might just accidentally end up with worse performance or make it unstable, and you can fix that. Just increasing the voltage again to what it used to be and resetting other settings etc. to default

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's not that hard. Just put power limit to 80-90%, memory clock to +700 mhz. Then just increase core clock in 15mhz intervals, whilst testing for stability. When your stress test crashes, then just lower the core clock by 30, and that should be fully stable. You should test it in the games you play afterwards, just to check stability.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Mistakes are how we learn

Also if you undervolt too far you won't damage anything, you might just accidentally end up with worse performance or make it unstable, and you can fix that.

I need to Look again how to undervolt cuz i forgot lol , if i cant , i will leave is just Like that

Just now, TonnyM said:

I need to Look again how to undervolt cuz i forgot lol , if i cant , i will leave is just Like that

It's easy, once you get your hands on the software that changes your graphics card voltage. Of course, leaving it at stock performance really isn't a big deal.

If you were very concerned about the learning process, you could get your hands on a different, cheaper graphics card just to play around with to understand the tools.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

It's not that hard. Just put power limit to 80-90%, memory clock to +700 mhz. Then just increase core clock in 15mhz intervals, whilst testing for stability. When your stress test crashes, then just lower the core clock by 30, and that should be fully stable. You should test it in the games you play afterwards, just to check stability.

What are test Crashes ?

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

What are test Crashes ?

The stress test may crash to desktop, and your PC may become unresponsive. You don't have to be worried if that happens. Just hold down the power button on your case and restart your pc.

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

What are test Crashes ?

You push the thing till it fails.  One of the nice things about computers is they’re really hard to actually break.  Crashes aren’t anything to worry too much about.  Screw up to your hearts content.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

The stress test may crash to desktop, and your PC may become unresponsive. You don't have to be worried if that happens. Just hold down the power button on your case and restart your pc.

Ok then i will try what you told me , Also if i menage to actually oc it , fps Boost will i get from it ? 5-10? Or more ? I know the max gpu Clock does to 2025 , and i dont know if that is stock or oc lol 

30 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

should i put fan speed to 100%?

There seems to be some confusion here,  you undervolt to get cooler temps, and longer sustained boosts,  what you most likely won't get is higher max frequencies... 

18 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

fps Boost will i get from it ? 5-10?

Depends on the games,  but in my recent tests, I got it to 2070mhz max in heaven (benchmark) and that was good for 1-2 fps compared to my usual undervolt, which hovers pretty consistently around 1965mhz .

So the sane answer here is, it's not really worth it at all,  you're probably best served to just set power limit to 90 (which isn't a traditional undervolt but basically does almost the same) and call it a day . You will get lower temps, it's totally safe and performance should stay the same or slightly improve since temps will be lower. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

There seems to be some confusion here,  you undervolt to get cooler temps, and longer sustained boosts,  what you most likely won't get is higher max frequencies... 

Depends on the games,  but in my recent tests, I got it to 2070mhz max in heaven (benchmark) and that was good for 1-2 fps compared to my usual undervolt, which hovers pretty consistently around 1965mhz .

So the sane answer here is, it's not really worth it at all,  you're probably best served to just set power limit to 90 (which isn't a traditional undervolt but basically does almost the same) and call it a day . You will get lower temps, it's totally safe and performance should stay the same or slightly improve since temps will be lower. 

then can you explain to me then how i OC cpu then? it is a ryzen 5 3600, it used to stay at 4.2 ghz but now it does not, stays only at 4005-4010 mhz , any way to fix it ?

36 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

then can you explain to me then how i OC cpu then? it is a ryzen 5 3600, it used to stay at 4.2 ghz but now it does not, stays only at 4005-4010 mhz , any way to fix it ?

That's normal. It's not an issue. Unless you're overclocking for fun, I wouldn't recommend CPU overclocking.

2 hours ago, TonnyM said:

That would require temperature checks for one.  Modern chips can thermal throttle.  OCing things draws more power so it makes them hotter.  Sometimes a lot.  This is why there are enthusiast customers coolers that can be huge.  You might be referring to the point that the default voltage for 3600s which I believe is 1.4v is considered high by some, and they will drop the default voltage (so an undervolt) and sometimes find that this allows them to overclock the cpu to a higher frequency than they could get with the stock voltage. That’s specifically the 3600 cpu though and doesn’t have much to do with GPUs or even most CPUs. Most of the time undervolting makes a chip run slower. It will generate less heat though and sometimes a chip may then have its frequency raised to nearly that of when it was stock, so potentially very little performance loss with lower temps and quieter operation.   An OC is basically a custom tune though, and can vary a lot.  For example I have an old 4770k that OCed quite poorly and I couldn’t reliably get more than 4.0ghz out of it even though people were reporting 4.6 as very common and a few got to 4.9.  The stock voltage was 3.6 though which means there were a few chips out there that wouldn’t do better than that.

Edited by Bombastinator

is this different to reducing the power limit via MSI?

i have my 3070 FE ay 80% as its in a SFF case

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro