Fake gamers had to google the Konami code

(Sorry for the LTT style title LOL) When I saw the VAG segment of the video (3 hours late) I had to Google the Konami code. I was interested if a lot of other people had to Google it as well. Turns out, they did! While I don't imagine a lot of people google it on the regular, it appears the LTT effect is very much real. 

image.png

Before you say "fake gamers", most younger gamers (I hate that word so much), e.g. ages 13-16 haven't heard of the Konami Code, myself included.

I turn 15 on the 28th, and I know a LOT about the NES and SNES (I have a habit of wanting to do something related to a thing, then learning a whole bunch about that thing. I wanted to use my NES controller on my PC, found retroUSB.com, bought the adapter, and then proceeded to see other ways to do it, teaching me:

a. How the standard NES controller only uses 5 pins

b. Why the NES controller had the expansion port

c. Why the NES console was designed the way it was

d. Mario Bros. 1 speedrunning strats and routes

and much more), however I had never heard of the Konami Code.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Before you say "fake gamers", most younger gamers (I hate that word so much), e.g. ages 13-16 haven't heard of the Konami Code, myself included.

It's just a jab, since the Millennial gamers think all gamers know it since it's iconic. But I definitely agree with you. I head of the code quite a lot, but never bothered to memorise it. Infact I never even played a single Konami game in my life, let alone a game older than me.

to be fair, when he said digits he totally lost me because I'm like... aren't they letters? So I googled it to see if there was some other code, not like it mattered because I already knew the cards had all sold by that point and was just curious. It was funny how it influenced google search though. A piece of trivia like that being used as a gate is pretty useless in the digital age IMO

1 minute ago, Arrogath said:

to be fair, when he said digits he totally lost me because I'm like... aren't they letters? 

I knew there were arrow buttons, but I had no Idea there were letters at the end to be completely honest.

I mean I may be a millennial, but I literally never used it in a game and didnt even become aware of it until the 2000s the only reason I remember it is because tis an easy af code to remember. 

I still think it was a pretty valid way to curcumvent bots cause I cant even recall how often ive heard the code in various YT videos

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

to be fair, when he said digits he totally lost me because I'm like... aren't they letters? So I googled it to see if there was some other code, not like it mattered because I already knew the cards had all sold by that point and was just curious. It was funny how it influenced google search though

Yeah digits was an awful word to use I was like "...wut" but put in BA anyways figuring thats what he meant.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, ShadowMaster2403 said:

I knew there were arrow buttons, but I had no Idea there were letters at the end to be completely honest.

to be fair if it was some obscure cheat code for OG Doom or Duke Nukem I would have been all set, that shit is inscribed at this point

in my defense at first i typed ab instead of ba..... sorry not sorry

Fake gamers?

It was confusing to me what Linus meant by "digits" because digits usually means numbers, and according to google, digits are numbers.

But I couldn't watch the video until about an hour after it was already up, apparently the cards sold out in about 5 minutes which isn't surprising.