Changing from a i7-4790k to a Ryzen 5 5600x, need help for after plugging stuff in

So recently I bought new PC parts to upgrade my new rig, the new parts being:

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
  • Gskill 32gb Trident Z Neo

I was wondering if after replacing my old parts and switching from intel to amd are there going to be any software issues e.g I read up that I may need a fresh install of windows or is it as easy as replace parts launch pc. Would buying a new boot drive be helpful as well? so basically im worried if there will be issues I won’t know after upgrading and would like some advice.

Thank you very much for reading!

1 - Welcome to the Forum.

I personally Highly Recommend when switching platforms Intel to AMD, let alone Intel 4790K to Intel 11900K to do a reinstall of Windows.

Some Drivers and JUNK traces left behind.....leftovers begone!

The only time I wouldn't is when using similar architectures and same series,...eG i5 4670K to i7 4790K

Boot drive,.. maybe if you still use a HDD, if you have an SSD, its fine. (Upgrade when you need to in this regard)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I always recommend starting with a fresh OS whenever you make any significant platform change like that. 

If your OS SSD is as old as the 4790K, I'd grab a new OS drive as they're cheap, you can get a 512 NVME for $60 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just do a fresh install as you are likely to run into issues if you don't especially with how diffrent the platforms are. Nothing worse than having random issues because you didn't have a clean install. 

1. Just plug it and see what's happen.

2. if failed, repair installation.

3. if failed again, fresh install.

hopefully you only get to step 1.

Windows 10 is a very forgiving with hardware changes lately, so worth the try.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, RazorNeedsTips said:

Would buying a new boot drive be helpful as well?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The drive itself should continue to work, though I agree that a fresh Windows install is a good idea after such a major hardware change.

To be clear, if you plug in everything as it was before and boot up to the same drive, you should get into Windows just fine. But it's a good opportunity to start fresh with a clean install, and it might prevent some issues down the line.

Thank you to everyone for the replies! I am extremely grateful for your help. I have another question to ask, I am not familiar with reinstalling windows since this is my first time upgrading, can I still boot windows from my current drive and then reinstall from there? Or will it prompt me to reinstall from the get go? Thank you for answering.