Can I water cool my small GPU?

Kelp

If you look at the pictures I link below, you can see I have a very tiny GPU. It's a PNY GTX 1660 Super. It has a single fan, and is VERY loud sometimes. It starts to sound like a jet engine every time I play a game. I believe its due to the small cooler and only 1 fan so it has to keep the RPM's high. I was wondering if I am able to water cool it. I have room for a 120mm rad at the back of the case so maybe I can put one there. 

Can I water cool it?

And if so how would I go about doing that?

654274181_PXL_20210319_145234458-Copy.jpg

1351309304_PXL_20210319_145247697-Copy.jpg

1133870487_PXL_20210319_145222929-Copy.jpg

First thing is id try changing the fan curves to make it quieter. Also try repasting and cleaning the cooler

Next thing is do you need it water cooled? Companies like artic cooling make pretty genertic gpu heatsinks that should work here.

The temps get up to 167 degrees F. So with a simple heatsync, there would be no sound, and it would be silent.

I agree with what @Electronics Wizardysuggest as a first solution. You could try replacing the stock fan with a better, quieter fan. Fan curve+repaste+quieter fan would likely get you most of the way there before you start trying to get into a custom water cooling solution or something like that.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I was about mid-way through writing a second paragraph then the page reloaded 😞... so I'll just shorten what I said before.

One of the major reasons I'm getting this is the small heatsink and fan, but also I have a second GPU in the slot below it. Its an old card from about 2006 from an old server I had. I only use it because two of my monitors have VGA input and the 1660 doesn't support that. It covers about 1/3 of the fan so that definitely affects my temps. I feel  like if I can mount a 120mm aio or something similar to my gpu, I can avoid all the fan noise, bad temps, and maybe improve the looks a bit. If anyone can think of a better options lease lmk.

Also, I was messing with fan curves all last night but I couldn't get a good noise to temp ratio. I also swapped the thermal paste with  arctic silver 5 and that improved my temps by a bit. 

The thing is watercooling can get expensive very quickly, so I think you need to think whether you want to go beyond for example, strapping an AIO onto the die with some heatsinks on the VRAM/VRM. Even in the current GPU climate, the best thing would be to save the money, buy a GPU, then sell the 1660 (in that order) rather than spend money on cooling that isn't really going to net you any performance and potentially cost a lot more.

• 4 months later...

You've probably fixed this by now, but I had a similar issue with my Asus Pheonix 1660. If you don't care about absolute performance you can tell the card to downclock to 1530-1650 mhz  using afterburner. My cards fan now runs at anywhere from 800-1000 rpm (27%-36% speed, very quiet) and I still get excellent framerates. If you want help setting up the clock speed adjustments feel free to ask.