How do I hardwire my PC to my AP if they're at the opposite ends of my house, and moving the PC is not an option?

Ash_Kechummm

My dad started playing CSGO about a year ago and has finally agreed to get my PC connected to our access point via Ethernet after he realised that the ping issues he keeps facing are because of bad WiFi reception.

There's a problem though: the access point (which I'll call the ONT from now on because we have FTTH) and my PC are in the opposite sides of the house. It's not a big house (the distance between the PC and the ONT being only a few metres), but the ethernet cable will have to go through a room and a corridor to get to my room.

Neither me or my dad know how to route the cable without it hanging in mid-air between rooms and drilling holes in multiple walls to get the cable through them, so I wanted to ask if what we're gonna do is good enough, or if we'll have to find some way to shield the cable.

do you own the house? Can you drill down into a crawlspace?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

do you own the house? Can you drill down into a crawlspace?

What's a crawlspace? Sorry I don't know these terms, I'm 17 and not experienced in practical stuff like this. We live in a tiny apartment though, so I don't think we have something that can be named a crawlspace (but we do own the apartment).

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
Unacceptable language skills

No need to shield the cable unless there is a fire risk. If your house has a crawlspace or attic, or enough empty space above the ceiling if you have those removable ceiling tiles, you can go crawling around down/up there with a drill bit, around the size of an RJ45 jack, drill a hole up through empty carpet behind the router and underneath the desk. (into open air and not drywall or the desk!)

Just did this yesterday myself. But you NEED someone on the ground floor banging on the floor on the spot where the hole should be drilled so that you don't miss your drilling spot. And use callouts for where the bit is in relation to items in the room so that you can coordinate the direction they should drill. 

It is a group effort, and you are in an apartment, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Just now, Ash_Kechummm said:

What's a crawlspace? Sorry I don't know these terms, I'm 17 and not experienced in practical stuff like this. We live in a tiny apartment though, so I don't think we have something that can be named a crawlspace (but we do own the apartment

oh, assumed it a house. 

a crawlspace is a area below a house that unfinished and has things like the the air ducts, water main (at least for me), and ants.

and its not tall enough to stand in.

I was going to suggest to drill down and route a cable under the house. if you have carpet you might be able to jam the cable under the trim.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Nathanpete said:

Just did this yesterday myself. But you NEED someone on the ground floor banging on the floor on the spot where the hole should be drilled so that you don't miss your drilling spot. And use callouts for where the bit is in relation to items in the room so that you can coordinate the direction they should drill. 

or you could drill down in both spots......

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Otherwise, if you can route the cable underneath rugs and keep it very tight against the edges of walls, then it should only be a minor disturbance. But HUG THE WALLS IF YOU ARE DOING THIS, FOR LONG TERM SAFETY. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

5 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

Neither me or my dad know how to route the cable without it hanging in mid-air between rooms

Just take a longer route and follow the wall, at ceiling or floor, using sticky anchor pads and zip ties.

Get a cable color to match your wall, mine was white, and ou won't notice it.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

5 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

...HUG THE WALLS IF YOU ARE DOING THIS, FOR LONG TERM SAFETY. 

Hug the walls? Did you mean something along the lines of what@wONKEyeYEs said? Or something else that I'm not understanding?

also, unfortunately my house doesn't have any carpeted floor, because we live in a place where temperatures rarely drop below 30°C during daytime.

You can get flat white ethernet cable that is hundreds of feet long, it's easy to run underneath carpets or along the corners of walls, and it fits under doors too.

The white colour makes it blend in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I did this last year in an apartment with all concrete walls. I rent, so drilling was not an option. I opted for plastic 10x6mm boxed wire channel. It has a u shaped track that you stick to the wall and a cover for after the cable is inserted. It's not perfect but I ran it in corners and along the ceiling, and if you match the wall color, it is hardly noticeable. 

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I did this last year in an apartment with all concrete walls. I rent, so drilling was not an option. I opted for plastic 10x6mm boxed wire channel. It has a u shaped track that you stick to the wall and a cover for after the cable is inserted. It's not perfect but I ran it in corners and along the ceiling, and if you match the wall color, it is hardly noticeable. 

I'll be trying to do that, but there are three different colours for walls (white, orange like the LTT logo, and some color I can't name so I'll just put the hex code in #AACAE3), so I think I'll go for a white cable.

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
I tend to forget punctuation

38 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

I'll be trying to do that, but there are three different colours for walls (white, orange like the LTT logo, and some color I can't name so I'll just put the hex code in #AACAE3), so I think I'll go for a white cable.

If you use the channel, you can paint it any color. Then cable colour doesn't matter. 

HTB1trCNSpXXXXaSXpXXq6xXFXXXA.jpg

it's expensive but use a MoCa, they sell them at bestbuy for like $170. All you need is a coaxial cable I'm the house, and maybe a splitter. I use this solution myself, I have a large home and I can get great speeds. 
Actiontec - Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter 2-pack