Phone accessory for HTC Power to Give

Hey all,

I don't quite know if this is the right thread for this, but since it concerns boinc, I thought I'd leave it here.

On the WAN show, when Linus and Luke were talking a bit about the HTC Power to Give App, Slick brought up the possibility of putting the phone on a heat-distributing pad for the night. Are there any such pads available already?

At the moment I'm using metal coasters, which do well at taking up heat, but don't distribut the heat away once absorbed. So during the day, I switch these out and let the others cool down by the window. Is it possible to buy a pad that cools itself or is it possible for me to build my own version of it?

Thanks in advance.

Can't you just put a fan on the existing pads?

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

This is what I mean with a metal coaster :unsure: :

metal-coaster-set.jpg

So I don't know how to add a fan to that setup.

Specifically I don't know of any for phones. But, you could look at the coolers for laptops and see if one of them might work for you.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

My concern with using a laptop cooler would be that they rely on air movement, with some kind of heatsink in place.

I have a black Nexus 5, which has a matte plastic back. A metal plate perfectly removes heat very quickly from it, much faster than any air movement would, but I have no means to get the heat back out of the metal plate so to say  :P

I'll keep my eyes peeled online anyway. It might be possible to make a small contraption by removing the foam bottom from one of the coasters and putting a fan underneath that, so basically cooling the metal plate from the bottom while it removes heat from the phone lying on top. I'll look into it.

My suggestion would be to get a 140mm or larger fan for a radiator/CPU cooler, preferably one like a noctua or something that is optimized for pressure and silent operation. Then, see if you can find a chunk of aluminum that is the same size as the fan. If you're really serious about it, you could have a machine shop give you a quote to make one with nice rounded edges and whatnot.

Then, get some rubber stand-offs of some sort, like case feet or something, and put some on the top and bottom of the fan on each corner. Then you could glue the aluminum to the case feet on the top of the fan. So you would have basically

pppppppppp               Phone

---------------------------       Aluminum block

II                               II       rubber feet

00000000000000000       fan

II                               II       rubber feet

---------------------------       table

It's also pretty easy to make a computer fan run off USB power, so you could just plug it in to an extra phone charger brick or whatever.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Snip

Awesome suggestion, thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking of with the metal coaster I already have, it's 120mm diagonally so using a normal 120 case fan should be fine. When I get some free time I'll go to my nearest store and pick up a fan, some plastic standoffs and a usb-fan adapter. I'll report back with news and some pictures if I can find the right stuff.

Awesome suggestion, thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking of with the metal coaster I already have, it's 120mm diagonally so using a normal 120 case fan should be fine. When I get some free time I'll go to my nearest store and pick up a fan, some plastic standoffs and a usb-fan adapter. I'll report back with news and some pictures if I can find the right stuff.

You might want to be careful if the coaster has some sort of cork or fabric on the bottom. If it does, it probably won't transfer heat well at all.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

You might want to be careful if the coaster has some sort of cork or fabric on the bottom. If it does, it probably won't transfer heat well at all.

Yeah, the coaster has a foam bottom, which should be relatively easy to remove though, thanks for the warning. If it stays on too tightly, I'll get a small block fashioned, like you suggested.

You should post some pics and such when you get it all rigged up.