My wife HATES it - LMG Reacts to Gold Xbox Controller

AlexTheGreatish
5 hours ago, poochyena said:

No reason to melt it. There really is not much difference in $$ in cash or $$ in gold. gold is gonna keep its value. Save it for a rainy day

Yeah, keep it. This thing is essentially a piece of art, so I'm sure they could sell it to a collector for more than its raw gold value.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 hours ago, arnavvr said:

While gold probably won't depreciate, it isn't going to appreciate significantly either. It's a pretty constant store of value. 

LMG probably has better uses for that $87K worth of capital, such as hiring new employees, and expanding the different types of content that they make.

Also, having something that valuable, in either the office or Linus' home is just asking for trouble. Millions of people now know that there might potentially be $90K worth of gold in their office, and that is more than enough to raise security concerns.

Yeah, I was going to mention that but got lost in my thought process. It's stable AF, which is why many governments keep reserves of the stuff and use it to back their currency. Stocks and crypto just don't offer the same liquidity, can be difficult to quickly dump and will always be far more volatile. As for office security/valuables, a typical 4U rack server can go for $50K-$250K easily. Their camera equipment alone is worth far more, but I am confident they have a better than average security system there (and police response times) to deal with it.

7 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

Whipping it with a cloth every once in a while sounds fair. Hope it is something like that. That said, gamer hands can get pretty sweaty after heavy gaming sessions, idk if you can compare it to regular jewelry.

Jewellery is easy to wash under the tap with some warm water and soap, but since this has electronics inside that's not an option. You would definitely want to avoid the gamer hands with this and wear gloves or keep a rag close by. I get the same thing when I use my trackball heavily as well on some days and have to wipe the sweat off.

That's.. pretty insane.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

9 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Also, having something that valuable, in either the office or Linus' home is just asking for trouble.

Do you really think Linus (or Yvonne for that matter) would be stupid enough to actually have that in the LMG office? I'm pretty sure this thing is securely stored well away from LMG property, maybe not even in the Vancouver area.

As for the controller itself: A+ for proof-of-concept, execution and finished result, big fat F for tying up capital as Linus is about to undertake a significant step in LMG history that requires lots and lots of currency (of any kind) upfront, as he alluded to in the WAN show last Friday.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

They kept asking the staff if it was stupid and after watching it I'd have to vote for stupid. 😄

Seems like poor timing also for this kind of thing. I mean with so much unemployment despair going around.

Like someone else said though it's kind of a normal youtube thing for some content makers.

What they ought to do is wait until Linus is out of town for a few days and get a copy made from cast iron.

Have the same guys engrave it.

Then spray paint it gold and hit it with some lacquer.

Put it back in the display cabinet.

He'll be happy every time he walks by and looks at it. With luck he will never even notice.

Then they can use the money for something more worthy.

Everybody wins lol.

😁

I think to sell the Xbox remote at auction, some of the money to donate to an important cause, some to give back to the wife / company and some to create Xbox remote with real gold plating.

can we all agree Yvonne was savage in that video.  l  never expected it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

5 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

They kept asking the staff if it was stupid and after watching it I'd have to vote for stupid. 😄

Seems like poor timing also for this kind of thing. I mean with so much unemployment despair going around.

Like someone else said though it's kind of a normal youtube thing for some content makers.

What they ought to do is wait until Linus is out of town for a few days and get a copy made from cast iron.

Have the same guys engrave it.

Then spray paint it gold and hit it with some lacquer.

Put it back in the display cabinet.

He'll be happy every time he walks by and looks at it. With luck he will never even notice.

Then they can use the money for something more worthy.

Everybody wins lol.

😁

It would be a lot lighter.  Iron doesn’t weigh nearly what gold does.  It’s even slightly heavier than lead. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'd have to say this was 10/10 stupid but also 10/10 cool.
So basically, it's so stupid and cool at the same time that it breaks the scale on both sides at the same time.

Regardless, to me personally, it was worthwhile! - I watched this video today during lunch break and had to pause the video a couple times to stop myself from laughing too loudly.

And, yes...

18 hours ago, dogwitch said:

She was outright BRUTAL. Absolute gold.

Meh.

It's a cool, stupid thing I kinda expected LTT to do. I do agree with people saying that they should hold it and later auction it off to recoup costs and donate the rest to charity. Yvonne has a point with it being stupid, but I don't think anyone's really contesting how stupid it is. Rather, you've done the stupid thing by making it, the question is can you recoup costs better by melting it down, or by doing the above? There's almost certainly someone willing to buy this, LTT fan or not. Sure, it's not exactly something you'd find at Sotheby's, but I'm sure there would be reasonable reaction to it being listed for auction among... someone.

Or Linus can keep it. That works too.

On 3/14/2021 at 4:03 PM, dogwitch said:

May I interest you in The Roast of Linus Sebastian?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

On 3/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

We made a solid gold Xbox controller... and reactions to it are mixed.

~~SNIP~~

it is a shame you couldn't use 22 or 24 carat gold, its color is much better imo. Ofc it is softer, not that it really matters in the end, im sure ur not going to be using it.

I'm very much on the side of, "this was stupid", i can see people being rather ..put off. over a video like this considering the current 'situation' , spending so much money on something so redundant. Im not one of them, but i can see that point of view.

Me, i would probably have thought it less 'stupid' if u had done a gold keyboard and mouse. You don't have the usage issue of weight pulling down on ur arms and wrists when using them. Also would have been easier to cast.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

28 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

it is a shame you couldn't use 22 or 24 carat gold, its color is much better imo. Ofc it is softer, not that it really matters in the end, im sure ur not going to be using it.

I'm very much on the side of, "this was stupid", i can see people being rather ..put off. over a video like this considering the current 'situation' , spending so much money on something so redundant. Im not one of them, but i can see that point of view.

Me, i would probably have thought it less 'stupid' if u had done a gold keyboard and mouse. You don't have the usage issue of weight pulling down on ur arms and wrists when using them. Also would have been easier to cast.

I don’t think there’s anyone on the side of “this wasn’t stupid”. There do seem to be people who think it was also awesome though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.