when choosing fans as intake/exhaust,what to look for?

frozensun

My friends,

when you look up for fans as intake or exhaust what specs you look at for each fan?

So as intake does static pressure needs to be lower/higher, airflow higher/lower, fan speed but speed nowdays for any fan is the same...

So lets take this fan:

https://www.arctic.de/en/P12-PWM-PST-CO/ACFAN00121A
Is it good as exhaust or intake or both?

I mean how do you know when some fan is good,judging by specs?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

My friends,

when you look up for fans as intake or exhaust what specs you look at for each fan?

So as intake does static pressure needs to be lower/higher, airflow higher/lower, fan speed but speed nowdays for any fan is the same...

So lets take this fan:

https://www.arctic.de/en/P12-PWM-PST-CO/ACFAN00121A
Is it good as exhaust or intake or both?

I mean how do you know when some fan is good,judging by specs?

Any fan is good as exhaust or intake, it mostly all depends on the Air-Flow of the fan and the position you choose for the fan. As far as i know, that fan has a really good amount of Air-Flow for the price and i would highly recommend getting it. I'd personally install it as an intake fan.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Definitely use a high CFM fan for your exhaust, no point in having high pressure if the air is leaving the case.

Other than that, it doesn't matter a ton. Acoustics is probably what matters most honestly. The fan you listed is known for being an all around great fan, so you can't go wrong IMO.

6 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Definitely use a high CFM fan for your exhaust, no point in having high pressure if the air is leaving the case.

Other than that, it doesn't matter a ton. Acoustics is probably what matters most honestly. The fan you listed is known for being an all around great fan, so you can't go wrong IMO.

hmm okay,what is CFM?So higher CFM means better fan,right?How about static pressure,higher or lower better?

15 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Any fan is good as exhaust or intake, it mostly all depends on the Air-Flow of the fan and the position you choose for the fan. As far as i know, that fan has a really good amount of Air-Flow for the price and i would highly recommend getting it. I'd personally install it as an intake fan.

Well I have some fans from Sharkoon dunno if they are good as intake or exhaust.

Can I tell you the model no?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

13 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Well I have some fans from Sharkoon dunno if they are good as intake or exhaust.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Sure go ahead...

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Sure go ahead...

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/26876

Just now, frozensun said:

hmm okay,what is CFM?

Sorry, it stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. Basically it measures the volume of air that the fan can move in one minute.

CFM fans are designed to move as much air as possible, while static pressure fans are designed to move air with greater force. Think of it like washing your car with a bucket of water vs a hose. The bucket holds more water and can cover more area, but the water goes everywhere. The hose focuses the water but covers less area. Not a perfect analogy, and in real life the different is not nearly that severe, but I hope that helps.

5 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Sorry, it stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. Basically it measures the volume of air that the fan can move in one minute.

CFM fans are designed to move as much air as possible, while static pressure fans are designed to move air with greater force. Think of it like washing your car with a bucket of water vs a hose. The bucket holds more water and can cover more area, but the water goes everywhere. The hose focuses the water but covers less area. Not a perfect analogy, and in real life the different is not nearly that severe, but I hope that helps.

so the greater CFM and static pressure ,the better the fan,right?

3 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Yeah, those are really good actually.. though im not really familiar with the brand.

oh okay,thanks for info...sadly these don't connect over molex.

13 minutes ago, frozensun said:

so the greater CFM and static pressure ,the better the fan,right?

Depends on your criteron, with that logic a Jumbo Jet engine would be a great fan (and it is, in some context). In my opinion it should be normalized to noise, a fan that can push a lot of air with high pressure but do so without creating noise, is a hallmark of a good fan. Just note that specs alone are hard to compare as noise measurements are very sensitive to how it was measured.

CFM and static pressure are also dubious metric as CFM is measured with absolutely no resistance (so not relevant for performance agaisnt a radiator) and static pressure is measured without airflow (a bit more relevant, but doesn't tell you how much air it would be able to actually get past the radiator). Independent reviews are the way to go for judging fans. Don't be blind sighted by spec sheets.

I am a CFM and SP enthusiast 🤫

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

hmm okay,what is CFM?So higher CFM means better fan,right?How about static pressure,higher or lower better?

Static pressure is not that kind of spec. Fan is either optimized for it (more and curved blades) or it isn't. You should go with SP fans if you have restricted front or you will be using AIO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Static pressure is not that kind of spec. Fan is either optimized for it (more and curved blades) or it isn't. You should go with SP fans if you have restricted front or you will be using AIO.

SP fans,you mean arctic P12?

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

SP fans,you mean arctic P12?

For example, yes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

For example, yes.

Ok thank you.Will get that 5 piece pack.