replace old thermal paste,how to?

frozensun

Guys,

well l'I try to replace thermal paste with MX-4 just to see if I'll lower the temp of CPU.

But need to ask you few things:

1.Since I need to remove old plaste,do I need to remove CPU from socket and then clean old thermal paste with alchohol?

I assume if I don't remove CPU from socket,there will be leftovers of old thermal paste all around socket area.

I'm kinda lazy to remove CPU from socket.

2.What to use when removing old thermal paste,besides 96 % alchohol?

Q-tips,when removing?

I don't have some wet clean vwipes specially for removing thermal paste,just toilet paper lol,nor coffee filter...

I'm mostly worried that small leftovers of old thermal paste will be all around socket,and impossible then to clean.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

1.Since I need to remove old plaste,do I need to remove CPU from socket and then clean old thermal paste with alchohol?

I assume if I don't remove CPU from socket,there will be leftovers of old thermal paste all around socket area.

As long as you can remove all paste without removing the CPU from the socket, there is no need to remove the CPU.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

2.What to use when removing old thermal paste,besides 96 % alchohol?

Q-tips,when removing?

I don't have some wet clean vwipes specially for removing thermal paste,just toilet paper lol,nor coffee filter...

Q-tips might work, but might also leave behind some of those strands of cotton. 

Between Q tips and toilet paper, I'd choose for the latter. Q-tips might work for the edges around the CPU though, where a paper towel is difficult to get at.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I go in first with lint free tissue to remove the bulk of the paste, then do a polishing step with isopropanol. In a pinch i have used microfire clothes, my t-shirt, cofee filters, all with good success

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

As long as you can remove all paste without removing the CPU from the socket, there is no need to remove the CPU.

Q-tips might work, but might also leave behind some of those strands of cotton. 

Between Q tips and toilet paper, I'd choose for the latter. Q-tips might work for the edges around the CPU though, where a paper towel is difficult to get at.

Ok thank you.

Here I can not find 99 % isopropyl just 96 % etanol,which has ofc 4 % of water.

Because water is conductive maybe not to use this etanol,at all?

Maybe only dry toilet paer to clean old thermal paste,huh?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Should be ok, I haven't used ethanol before but as long as it doesn't leave a residue behind it should be ok. I put some on toilet paper and give a good wipe lol.

Boxers work too, or a sock.. you shouldn't have to remove the CPU unless you rip it out with the cooler. Its easier to clean in the socket anyways, that way you don't have to worry about pins.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

thank you guys,will try tomorrow and report back if any issue.

17 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Ok thank you.

Here I can not find 99 % isopropyl just 96 % etanol,which has ofc 4 % of water.

Because water is conductive maybe not to use this etanol,at all?

Maybe only dry toilet paer to clean old thermal paste,huh?

You can use injection swabs instead, should be able to find in a pharmacy I would think.

I use 99% ISOPROPANOL, and microfibre cloths that I then wash afterwards so they can be re-used. I also have some of the injection swabs I said about above, but I mostly use them for the bulk removal of old paste as they can be disposed of.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

You can use injection swabs instead, should be able to find in a pharmacy I would think.

I use 99% ISOPROPANOL, and microfibre cloths that I then wash afterwards so they can be re-used. I also have some of the injection swabs I said about above, but I mostly use them for the bulk removal of old paste as they can be disposed of.

Could you send your equipment here? 😄

You don't need anything special. The main reason isopropanol alcohol is used is because it dries faster than water (the higher the percentage the faster it dries). Even using something like a damp paper towel would be OK but you must make sure everything is dry when you reassemble the cooler.

The main reason to use iso is because it doesn't leave a residue, or of it does it just wipes right off cleanly. depending on the quality nail polish remover and similar could leave something behind that you might have to spend a little more time wiping up or rubbing off.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's