Samsung S21 vs Pixel 5 vs Sony Xperia 5 ii?

Longshot

Hello!

my 3 year old LG v30+ just broke (fell 1 too many times) and i was considering a new phone.

Which would you recommend for me for the next 2-4

i dont really ask for alot except that it'll work good for the next few years.

i have somewhat small hands and prefer to use a phone single handed as much as possible, hence my current considerations

Samsung S21 (regular)

Google Pixel 5

Sony Xperia 5 ii

What i mainly use the phone for:

1. Heavy Music & Media consumption

2. regular stuff - surfing, calling etc

3. light video capture

whats most important for me:

1. good colors 

2. brightness

3. battery life

4. snappyness and fast response

5. normal temps (this one is wierd but my old Sony phone would heat up immensly very fast)

any other recommendations \ which of these would you recommend the most?

Pretty darn expensive phones for something a 300$ class device can do without being any worse.

But ranked with your points of importance

Pixel 5

Sony xperia 5 II

Samsung s21

Why?

All plenty fast but the sony and samsung use high end cpu's the pixel uses a midranger that is very efficient thus extending it's battery life even more whilst not feeling any different in the tasks you will do. Also stays cooler.

They all are pretty bright but of course in direct sunlight no matter the brightness a straight on sun will still make a reflective screen hard to read. These just make it less annoying and are all very readable in bright light.

Colours is up to the beholder they can all produce very accurate colours if you tweak em a bit (sony being by default the closest and samsung being the furthest away due to them liking oversaturation)

Also the pixel 5  is a lot cheaper than both and is basically the best option for you by a fair margin here. Plus bonus of having the best camera(app).

If you are open to suggestions there are phone of the google pixel 5 caliber that do the exact same whilst being even cheaper.

Of those three, definitely the Sony.

By far the best battery life, and it's the thinnest so it'll feel the easiest to use for your small paws.

Just now, jaslion said:

Pretty darn expensive phones for something a 300$ class device can do without being any worse.

Why?

All plenty fast but the sony and samsung use high end cpu's the pixel uses a midranger that is very efficient thus extending it's battery life even more whilst not feeling any different in the tasks you will do. Also stays cooler.

They all are pretty bright but of course in direct sunlight no matter the brightness a straight on sun will still make a reflective screen hard to read. These just make it less annoying and are all very readable in bright light.

Colours is up to the beholder they can all produce very accurate colours if you tweak em a bit (sony being by default the closest and samsung being the furthest away due to them liking oversaturation)

Also the pixel 5  is a lot cheaper than both and is basically the best option for you by a fair margin here. Plus bonus of having the best camera(app).

If you are open to suggestions there are phone of the google pixel 5 caliber that do the exact same whilst being even cheaper.

Your first point is pretty debatable, and downright impossible if the OP lives in the US.

The Pixel actually comes in second for battery life after the Sony, while having a lower refresh rate.

I'm not sure the Pixel 5 is actually cheaper, as the Sony can be had on sale.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Of those three, definitely the Sony.

By far the best battery life, and it's the thinnest so it'll feel the easiest to use for your small paws.

Your first point is pretty debatable, and downright impossible if the OP lives in the US.

The Pixel actually comes in second for battery life after the Sony, while having a lower refresh rate.

I'm not sure the Pixel 5 is actually cheaper, as the Sony can be had on sale.

Oh from what I found the pixel was leading with about 16-24% in battery life once you do a little math. Might be wrong tho. The cheaper 300$ phones doing the same thing? I mean just look at the mi9t or a correctly chosen pocophone. Will do the same thing just as well. The mi 9t is a year old now and thus can be had for as low as 220$ for a damn good phone.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

But ranked with your points of importance

Pixel 5

Sony xperia 5 II

Samsung s21

Why?

my country is stupid with prices, they are all basically 900$

Just now, jaslion said:

Oh from what I found the pixel was leading with about 16-24% in battery life once you do a little math. Might be wrong tho. The cheaper 300$ phones doing the same thing? I mean just look at the mi9t or a correctly chosen pocophone. Will do the same thing just as well. The mi 9t is a year old now and thus can be had for as low as 220$ for a damn good phone.

GSMArena reviews show otherwise.

The Mi 9T wouldn't be a great suggestion for the OP since he has small hands; the phones are quite wide.

They might work where he lives (hasn't said), but if he's in NA then they're not an option.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

GSMArena reviews show otherwise.

The Mi 9T wouldn't be a great suggestion for the OP since he has small hands; the phones are quite wide.

They might work where he lives (hasn't said), but if he's in NA then they're not an option.

Fair enough. It isn't really that wide slimmer than the oneplus one I had :p. Yeah gsmarena does have differing results but things like techradar have other results so I guess at worst they are equal?

Just now, jaslion said:

Fair enough. It isn't really that wide slimmer than the oneplus one I had :p. Yeah gsmarena does have differing results but things like techradar have other results so I guess at worst they are equal?

Really? I checked TechRadar's reviews for both phones and they don't seem to give in depth testing of batteries.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Longshot said:

Hello!

my 3 year old LG v30+ just broke (fell 1 too many times) and i was considering a new phone.

Which would you recommend for me for the next 2-4

i dont really ask for alot except that it'll work good for the next few years.

i have somewhat small hands and prefer to use a phone single handed as much as possible, hence my current considerations

Samsung S21 (regular)

Google Pixel 5

Sony Xperia 5 ii

What i mainly use the phone for:

1. Heavy Music & Media consumption

2. regular stuff - surfing, calling etc

3. light video capture

whats most important for me:

1. good colors 

2. brightness

3. battery life

4. snappyness and fast response

5. normal temps (this one is wierd but my old Sony phone would heat up immensly very fast)

any other recommendations \ which of these would you recommend the most?

I got little girl hands OP and own the Pixel 5; it can be wielded one handed very easily even with a case. It's snappy as hell and is a beast in the battery department...I typically charge it every other day. You mentioned it lasting 2-4 years and on the software side you'll have better luck with Google supporting your device the longest (if software support is your thing). Not sure on cameras since I only use it to take pics of my cat. The under display speaker leaves something to be desired but for general phone calls it's fine. I have no experience with the other phones but would cast my vote for the Pixel 5 based on what you said. Doesn't mean the other phones are bad, I just don't have personal experience with them.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

On 3/9/2021 at 4:57 AM, dizmo said:

Really? I checked TechRadar's reviews for both phones and they don't seem to give in depth testing of batteries.

My bad it wasn't techradar and it was the wrong xperia that I googled looking back at my history.