Legal IPTV and illegal IPTV what in the world? I just wanna cord cut.

glitchgodprime

So I currently found out about the IPTV world and wow is it mixed bag. The closest I can compare it to is torrenting as an idea. 

Websites for best IPTV service providers all say NEED VPN to use, ISP will cancel your connection without one, service might disappear at any point, and pay month to month only. 

The description of using IPTV services sounds like some one trying to understand how to torrent files. Use a vpn, kilswitches, loopbacks, etc. 

So in my head I'm understanding it to be legal but in certain situations, and when digging for LEGAL I found normal ISP providers and sling/hulu.

So is that it just a different form of ISP based cable tv? The tech sounds awesome for cord cutting but seems like no one actually has legally created much with it except hulu and sling. 

Am I understanding IPTV in an okay sense cause beyond those 2 and ISPs I can't find any one else who says they are legal.

23 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

The closest I can compare it to is torrenting as an idea. 

Websites for best IPTV service providers all say NEED VPN to use, ISP will cancel your connection without one, service might disappear at any point, and pay month to month only.

The kinds of "IPTV-services" they are talking about use pirated content. It's absolutely idiotic to talk about them as "IPTV", when they're just pirate streaming-services.

IPTV in and of itself isn't illegal and there are legal services, but then there are also ones who are using pirated content and will happily advertise themselves as a good alternative and all that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you for clearing that up for me cause I was very confused as to what is what. Guess sling or hulu it is lol

I just stopped watching TV, easiest way to cut the cord. Netflix, YouTube and some free services in the UK are great. As long as you don’t watch live TV you are fine (plus some extra stuff you need to read up on).

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

The kinds of "IPTV-services" they are talking about use pirated content. It's absolutely idiotic to talk about them as "IPTV", when they're just pirate streaming-services.

IPTV in and of itself isn't illegal and there are legal services, but then there are also ones who are using pirated content and will happily advertise themselves as a good alternative and all that.

But they are IPTV services in the same way that downloading Ubuntu through a torrent and downloading Fast n Furious 69: The Return Of Paul Walker through a torrent are both torrenting.

IPTV is a protocol, its a way of transmitting a video stream over the Internet Protocol. Netflix is IPTV, Amazon Video is IPTV, YouTube is technically IPTV and "Get all premium TV services for £10 a month" services are IPTV.

The illegalities arise from the provider not having a license to stream the content.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

45 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I just stopped watching TV, easiest way to cut the cord. Netflix, YouTube and some free services in the UK are great. As long as you don’t watch live TV you are fine (plus some extra stuff you need to read up on).

Too bad we have to pay for TV licence to watch any BBC channels 🙄 so annoying. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

Its a common misconception that the TV License is only needed if you watch BBC channels, this is not the case. If you watch any kind of live TV transmission at all you need a license (BBC, ITV, C4, C5, FreeView, FreeSat or Sky) and a few years back they extended it to cover BBC iPlayer as well.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Its a common misconception that the TV License is only needed if you watch BBC channels, this is not the case. If you watch any kind of live TV transmission at all you need a license (BBC, ITV, C4, C5, FreeView, FreeSat or Sky) and a few years back they extended it to cover BBC iPlayer as well.

Really? I don't watch the other Channels other than BBC Sports for Match of the day. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

5 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Really? I don't watch the other Channels other than BBC Sports for Match of the day. 

Yep...

The BBC is authorised by the Communications Act 2003 to collect and enforce the TV licence fee. Section 363 of the Act makes it against the law to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they are being broadcast without a TV Licence. Section 365 of the same Act requires the payment of the TV licence fee to the BBC.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom#Legal_framework

1 hour ago, Sir Asvald said:

Here it's baked in to yearly tax... (for YLE)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Here it's baked in to yearly tax... (for YLE)

That sucks