Creative CT2518 Windows 10 64bit driver?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

so i need a sound card in my system due to me having a server board, and i dug out an old Creative CT2518 which still works perfectly fine in Ubuntu Linux, but i can't seem to find a functioning driver for 64-bit Windows 10... is anyone aware of a driver for it?

She/Her

the really old sound cards (crudly put: anything with a gameport on it probably falls under this..) generally have no chance of working under windows 10, because no one in their right mind will make a windows 10 compatible driver for it. i recall a lot of these REALLY 'retro' sound cards lost their support in windows 7, there's a hacky driver here and there, but essentially the way windows does drivers these days is so vastly different from the days when those cards were relevant, that it's really not even worth trying. 

on top of that, usb sound cards can be had for a tenner, and modern feature-rich sound cards can be had for 40 bucks.

According to https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=pci:1274-1371-1274-1371

it uses the same driver as the Ensoniq AudioPCI which only supported up to Windows XP/2000.

https://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=207&prodID=420&prodName=Ensoniq AudioPCI

That seems like a fairly old card though, so I am not entirely positive I am looking at the right device.

More than likely it wont run under Windows 8+ with compatibility mode, if your lucky Windows 7's compatibility mode might. I would doubt there is an alternate driver for Windows 10 available if Microsofts Generic Sound Driver doesn't support it.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the really old sound cards (crudly put: anything with a gameport on it probably falls under this..) generally have no chance of working under windows 10, because no one in their right mind will make a windows 10 compatible driver for it. i recall a lot of these REALLY 'retro' sound cards lost their support in windows 7, there's a hacky driver here and there, but essentially the way windows does drivers these days is so vastly different from the days when those cards were relevant, that it's really not even worth trying. 

meanwhile all of them pretty much in my experience work on Ubuntu plug and play lmao

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

on top of that, usb sound cards can be had for a tenner, and modern feature-rich sound cards can be had for 40 bucks.

i've had a super bad experience with a usb sound card, i'd want pci-e... 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

meanwhile all of them pretty much in my experience work on Ubuntu plug and play lmao

that's because linux hasnt really changed their driver infrastructure since the 90s, and a sound card is a fairly simple device, so there's no reason why an old driver couldnt work today.

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i've had a super bad experience with a usb sound card, i'd want pci-e... 

who hasnt? there's a reason it's only a tenner... that said, i doubt your prehistoric card will perform much better...

also, there's plenty of semi-professional desktop audio interfaces that'll hook up to usb, and are priced fairly favourable. some cheaper than a pcie sound card.. surprisingly..

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

that said, i doubt your prehistoric card will perform much better...

the usb card i had had so much noise in it it sounded like an fm radio that isn't tuned properly....

She/Her