Thermal Paste close to the socket... a problem or no?

https://imgur.com/a/mwn8Z9W

Was repasting an old build earlier and noticed that previous paste had at one point (presumably upon install) crept down toward the LGA1150 socket, which is ever so slightly exposed on all sides of the CPU. Didn’t remove the cpu from the socket to try and clean it, figured I would ask here first if this is a big deal. I’ve had it happen on rigs before and it never caused a problem, but I’m more careful now and definitely wondering what the worst case scenario is.

It might possibly be a big deal if it was conductive.  Most pastes aren’t though.  There are a few that are, like liquid metal stuff, but they’re generally rare enthusiast things.  If it’s not conductive though I can say it’s not without even looking at it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It might possibly be a big deal if it was conductive.  Most pastes aren’t though.  There are a few that are, like liquid metal stuff, but they’re generally rare enthusiast things.  If it’s not conductive though I can say it’s not without even looking at it.

Can't remember what it was, but 95% sure it was the stock Intel paste or mayyyybe MX5. I had a similar line of thinking to what you've said, if it's not electrically conductive it should be fine right? It's not gonna bridge pins or anything...

It could've been some generic cheap paste though, so if any of that is ever electrically conductive it could be an issue.

29 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

Can't remember what it was, but 95% sure it was the stock Intel paste or mayyyybe MX5. I had a similar line of thinking to what you've said, if it's not electrically conductive it should be fine right? It's not gonna bridge pins or anything...

It could've been some generic cheap paste though, so if any of that is ever electrically conductive it could be an issue.

If you aren't sure that it isn't conductive then i'd clean it off and apply non-conductive paste. If your paste is non-conductive then it shouldn't do anything, even if it gets into the socket.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

If you aren't sure that it isn't conductive then i'd clean it off and apply non-conductive paste. If your paste is non-conductive then it shouldn't do anything, even if it gets into the socket.

I mean, it's just an HTPC build and I've never used anything but Intel and MX5 on it in the past as far as I know. I guess my question is, is it common for cheap thermal compounds and generic white label stuff to be conductive or would I *know* if I was buying conductive material like liquid metal?

Its not a problem. Both stock and MX5 is non conductive. I have seen far worse operate with no issues whatsoever.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, harrisonjr98 said:

Conductive pastes are generally very expensive. Conductivity is a major downside so such a material has to have other major advantages to make it worth looking at.  Generic past and mx-5 I do not believe are conductive. Most things in silicon oil generally aren’t as silicon oil is quite dielectric. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Conductive pastes are generally very expensive. Conductivity is a major downside so such a material has to have other major advantages to make it worth looking at.  Generic past and mx-5 I do not believe are conductive. Most things in silicon oil generally aren’t as silicon oil is quite dielectric. 

I guess my paranoia theory was that random metals or other materials could make their ways into El Cheapo paste, but I think I'll take my chances of 99% likely ok vs trying to clean an LGA socket by hand lol. Thanks all!