Old Gigabyte 775 socket type motherboard wont boot past bios

Rhys_Butcher
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
6 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

No put it in a anti static bag next to me while driving then brought it home and put it on the test bench. I tried multiple Sata ports just to make sure none were defective.  So the WD drive has a Old windows 10 install from  a laptop i used to use a while back just re purposing it for this build. TO make sure there was no problem with the drive I put it in my pc with the Same SATA cable just to be sure and it worked perfectly, ( didnt try to boot from it just access it)  I want to put Linux on the drive but since it wont boot from the usb (very weird) I havnt got that far.

Wait.. a laptop install?  Those can be weird sometimes.  Manufacturers have done odd things with laptop OSes in the past.  Still wouldn’t explain the USB stick issue though. USB might not be set as bootable.  Drive boot paths on 775 were generally manual. Had to be set “try booting from this, then this, etc..”

Having isues with a motherboard i bought today tested at the guys house worked perfectly came home plugged everything in, now it wont boot past bios. I detects the hard drive  but wont boot the OS I can even hear it  turning the Hard drive on. Please Help as this board is very urgently required. Oh and i did the whole swap the ram round run it in single channel thing. 

What is the make and model of the board? What CPU did you test it with? What CPU are you trying to run it with?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

What is the make and model of the board? What CPU did you test it with? What CPU are you trying to run it with?

Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 (FSB1066)Tested it with the same CPU I am running it with now. 

1 minute ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 (FSB1066)Tested it with the same CPU I am running it with now. 

Do you have any other storage device that you can boot off? Another suggestion would be reinstalling the operating system, if thats out of the question (hope not) check your BIOS settings for boot device priorities. Its been so long that I remember what I would check for on a legacy BIOS system.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Do you have any other storage device that you can boot off? Another suggestion would be reinstalling the operating system, if thats out of the question (hope not) check your BIOS settings for boot device priorities. Its been so long that I remember what I would check for on a legacy BIOS system.

Tried to boot Linux off a usb but does the same thing as the hard drive checked  priorities made the hard drive 1st still no change 

3 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Tried to boot Linux off a usb but does the same thing as the hard drive checked  priorities made the hard drive 1st still no change 

What actually happens when you try to boot off any device? Do you see the windows logo? or whatever linux variants logo while booting?

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

What actually happens when you try to boot off any device? Do you see the windows logo? or whatever linux variants logo while booting?

Wont boot past this screen doesnt even make it to any logo or anything 

Pc shit.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Wont boot past this screen doesnt even make it to any logo or anything 

Its gonna be a while I recommended this here in LTT forums but it seems your HDD is pinned in "slave" mode. I am not 100% sure but I recall IDE drives needing to be in master mode in order to boot from it. You should to do this on the harddrive and see if that helps. If you dont have the PIN required, mess around in BIOS and see if you can adjust it there.

PC won't boot from IDE HDD when SATA data drive connected - Super User

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its gonna be a while I recommended this here in LTT forums but it seems your HDD is pinned in "slave" mode. I am not 100% sure but I recall IDE drives needing to be in master mode in order to boot from it. You should to do this on the harddrive and see if that helps. If you dont have the PIN required, mess around in BIOS and see if you can adjust it there.

Its a 3.5'' drive cause building a small machine. doesnt have those pins will look in the bios but doubt it as i messed around with everything the bios is very basic on these older boards

29 minutes ago, Levent said:

Did not work found out how to change the drive to master in Bios same thing no change. 

41 minutes ago, Levent said:

That would only apply if they're using an IDE drive, and I doubt they are. Most 775 systems used SATA drives despite having an IDE controller. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

43 minutes ago, Levent said:

Woah.  Ide.  There’s a blast from the past.  It’s possible I suppose.  I got a lga775 that has an ide port.  It also has sata3 though.  I also personally wouldn’t trust an ide HDD in this day and age.  Thing is gonna be oooold. DVD player might still go though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

36 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Its a 3.5'' drive cause building a small machine. doesnt have those pins will look in the bios but doubt it as i messed around with everything the bios is very basic on these older boards

That also makes it simple though.  That advice only applies if you’ve got an ide drive. It’s an antique format that predated sata. You only are allowed 2 devices, and even that is something of a hack. There is a “master” and a “slave”.   If you’ve got a drive marked “slave” with no “master” there are problems.  The easy way to tell a sata drive from an ide drive is the ports look wildly different.  Ide is a very large connector with “Forrest of gold pins” and also has a molex for power.  Sata doesn’t have either of those.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

and also has a molex for power.  Sata doesn’t have either of those.

Unless it's an older drive. Older SATA drives had molex power connectors as well. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

Unless it's an older drive. Older SATA drives had molex power connectors as well. 

Did they.  Noted.  I never saw one like that but it’s real possible.  I don’t quite get why folks went out of their way to try to kill molex.  It worked fine.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Did they.  Noted.  I never saw one like that but it’s real possible.  I don’t quite get why folks went out of their way to try to kill molex.  It worked fine.

It was bulkier and not as easy to connect and disconnect, so that could be a reason. I don't remember. But yeah, some of the oldest SATA drives did have molex power connectors, though they also had regular SATA power connectors as well. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That also makes it simple though.  That advice only applies if you’ve got an ide drive. It’s an antique format that predated sata. You only are allowed 2 devices, and even that is something of a hack. There is a “master” and a “slave”.   If you’ve got a drive marked “slave” with no “master” there are problems.  The easy way to tell a sata drive from an ide drive is the ports look wildly different.  Ide is a very large connector with “Forrest of gold pins” and also has a molex for power.  Sata doesn’t have either of those.

Yeah used to use IDE drives back in the day in high school.I know what they are havnt used one in many years let alone seen one.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah had a few Sata with molex power here in SA 

Sorry guys could one of you please try to assist further as the problem is still persisting, IM so desperate I want to go buy the old hard drive this thing was working with when i tested it. 

The Drive is a WD Scorpio blue, small 250 gig drive.  (WD2500BEVT)

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Here is a picture of an old one with Molex and Sata just to Show you dude. ( Note this is not the drive I am using)

pc shit 2.jpg

Could be a driver issue with your hard drive perhaps?  Doesn’t explain the USB stick not working.  If it’s sata I assume you tried a couple different sata ports?   Could be two problems that look like one problem.  The reason the USB stick and the drive don’t boot could be different.  Might the thing have gotten damaged between removal and install?

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Could be a driver issue with your hard drive perhaps?  Doesn’t explain the USB stick not working.  If it’s sata I assume you tried a couple different sata ports?   Could be two problems that look like one problem.  The reason the USB stick and the drive don’t boot could be different.  Might the thing have gotten damaged between removal and install?

No put it in a anti static bag next to me while driving then brought it home and put it on the test bench. I tried multiple Sata ports just to make sure none were defective.  So the WD drive has a Old windows 10 install from  a laptop i used to use a while back just re purposing it for this build. TO make sure there was no problem with the drive I put it in my pc with the Same SATA cable just to be sure and it worked perfectly, ( didnt try to boot from it just access it)  I want to put Linux on the drive but since it wont boot from the usb (very weird) I havnt got that far.

6 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Wait.. a laptop install?  Those can be weird sometimes.  Manufacturers have done odd things with laptop OSes in the past.  Still wouldn’t explain the USB stick issue though. USB might not be set as bootable.  Drive boot paths on 775 were generally manual. Had to be set “try booting from this, then this, etc..”

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Will try with a Different drive tomorrow see if it makes a difference. Yeah I set the ( this , then this, etc) still didnt change anything with the USB drive. Out of interest as I cant remember shouldn't the name of the USB show up in the boot menu options , As the bios only  gives different USB option eg. USB HDD, USB FDD, etc.