Old Gigabyte 775 socket type motherboard wont boot past bios

Rhys_Butcher
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
6 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

No put it in a anti static bag next to me while driving then brought it home and put it on the test bench. I tried multiple Sata ports just to make sure none were defective.  So the WD drive has a Old windows 10 install from  a laptop i used to use a while back just re purposing it for this build. TO make sure there was no problem with the drive I put it in my pc with the Same SATA cable just to be sure and it worked perfectly, ( didnt try to boot from it just access it)  I want to put Linux on the drive but since it wont boot from the usb (very weird) I havnt got that far.

Wait.. a laptop install?  Those can be weird sometimes.  Manufacturers have done odd things with laptop OSes in the past.  Still wouldn’t explain the USB stick issue though. USB might not be set as bootable.  Drive boot paths on 775 were generally manual. Had to be set “try booting from this, then this, etc..”

23 hours ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Will try with a Different drive tomorrow see if it makes a difference. Yeah I set the ( this , then this, etc) still didnt change anything with the USB drive. Out of interest as I cant remember shouldn't the name of the USB show up in the boot menu options , As the bios only  gives different USB option eg. USB HDD, USB FDD, etc. 

the name of the USB port will.  I don’t think the name of the device would.  BIOSes vary from mobo to mobo.  I suppose I could check mine..  iirc it’s aorus but I could be wrong.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.