Did I break my motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Based on the location, it looks like it is a component near the VRM controller, the chip that controls how 12v from the power supply is converted to the voltages used by cpu (0.6v...1.4v) could affect one of the video out connectors (hdmi, displayport)  or some usb connectors. 

edit : checked pictures of the board. 

Due to where the part is located, i would recommend returning the motherboard, because that vrm circuit is very complex and the broken part could cause the pc to be unstable, or in extreme scenarios the controller could misbehave and hurt your processor.

In some countries, you have 7-10 working days to return something without having to provide a reason... if you can do that, take advantage of it. 

Otherwise, go ahead and say that the motherboard is rebooting randomly or something like that as a reason for the return, or say you want to upgrade to a B550 model.

Yeah, it sucks, it's fraud, but it's a drop in the ocean, and you're not gonna bankrupt msi or the store selling you the part.

if it's cream/white component, it was a surface mount capacitor.

if it's black, it's a surface mount ferrite bead or inductor... these filter the signal going to connectors or to some chips (ex usb controller) 

if it's brownish/black/gray  with or without a number (if it's too small there's no number) it's a resistor. 

It's a high probability the component was in series meaning there's a wire in motherboard going from one component (the cpu for example) to another (the video out connector, or usb connector or something)  and the part was on the wire   [source ] ----- wire ---- [ component ] ------ [ connector]  

As the signals moved through the surface mount component,  and now the component is no longer in circuit, that bit after the component probably won't work right or at all. 

For example, HDMI connector may need 6 or 8 wires with signals to go into it, but because the part is gone, or 5 or 7 wires carry the signal into the hdmi connector.  So, your monitor may not be able to decode the signal from the HDMI connector. 

If you don't have integrated graphics, then you won't be affected, because there's no signals going through those wires. 

Just the same, if the wire was carrying some signals to some usb ports, then you could have problems detecting a device plugged into the usb connector for example, or the motherboard may get upset if it detects a device, sends commands to it, but replies never reach the motherboard because the reply was supposed to come through that wire that's now interrupted.

(you could in theory solve this issue by disabling those usb ports from bios and you'd have a working pc, but nothing would happen when you try to use those specific usb ports in the back)

I'm a beginner Builder but I was building my computer with a foldable screwdriver and the screwdriver bent in on its self. The screwdriver hit the motherboard and took off a small silver piece. What does this piece do and did I break my b450 Tomahawk Max motherboard? Should I return it and get a new one or what.... the images show which piece came off.

Logopit_1614863338450.jpg

Logopit_1614863310198.jpg

Logopit_1614863251210.jpg

Likely a small SMD resistor. It might work but I'd replace it just in case.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah, we can't know the damage level.  I'd replace it personally, but worth trying out at least to see how it performs.

Please use REGULAR tools when putting a PC together.  They're literally meant to be completed with a single regular screwdriver, nothing fancy.  No bendy this, no super socket wrench from iFixit bullshit that.

They're tough but not indestructible.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Returning the board and asking for a replacement isn't really legal unless you pay for the new board in full 😉 keep that in mind.

Your best bet is to replace the resistor.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Hakemon said:

Literally no one is going to care or see it, if they had to ask if their motherboard was dead and didn't know it was a resistor, I REALLY and HIGHLY doubt OP can solder an SMD component.  So let's be realistic here and not live in a fantasy world.

Promoting fraud is peferable? Who's living in a fantasy world here? Lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Keep in mind - there are no useless components on the board.

You removed seemingly smd resistor (or other small smd component - hard to tell). This will almost certainly result in something not working. Can be anything - from some port to something critical like cpu power. Will have to replace it, which might be a bit of a pain since you'll also have to know the value of the component.

Also yeah, breaking something and then returning it is generally bad...

5 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

The resistor cost the manufacturer pennies, and will cost them nothing to repair.

So stealing is fine if you steal a couple of pennies? No, not really.

Also this is not how it works. Will take a good amount of time to troubleshoot without knowing what the issue is and nobody is going to bother. Most likely will just end up in e-waste since for manufacturer it'll often be cheaper to make new one than to repair this. Unless repair happens on some local service center level.

Based on the location, it looks like it is a component near the VRM controller, the chip that controls how 12v from the power supply is converted to the voltages used by cpu (0.6v...1.4v) could affect one of the video out connectors (hdmi, displayport)  or some usb connectors. 

edit : checked pictures of the board. 

Due to where the part is located, i would recommend returning the motherboard, because that vrm circuit is very complex and the broken part could cause the pc to be unstable, or in extreme scenarios the controller could misbehave and hurt your processor.

In some countries, you have 7-10 working days to return something without having to provide a reason... if you can do that, take advantage of it. 

Otherwise, go ahead and say that the motherboard is rebooting randomly or something like that as a reason for the return, or say you want to upgrade to a B550 model.

Yeah, it sucks, it's fraud, but it's a drop in the ocean, and you're not gonna bankrupt msi or the store selling you the part.

if it's cream/white component, it was a surface mount capacitor.

if it's black, it's a surface mount ferrite bead or inductor... these filter the signal going to connectors or to some chips (ex usb controller) 

if it's brownish/black/gray  with or without a number (if it's too small there's no number) it's a resistor. 

It's a high probability the component was in series meaning there's a wire in motherboard going from one component (the cpu for example) to another (the video out connector, or usb connector or something)  and the part was on the wire   [source ] ----- wire ---- [ component ] ------ [ connector]  

As the signals moved through the surface mount component,  and now the component is no longer in circuit, that bit after the component probably won't work right or at all. 

For example, HDMI connector may need 6 or 8 wires with signals to go into it, but because the part is gone, or 5 or 7 wires carry the signal into the hdmi connector.  So, your monitor may not be able to decode the signal from the HDMI connector. 

If you don't have integrated graphics, then you won't be affected, because there's no signals going through those wires. 

Just the same, if the wire was carrying some signals to some usb ports, then you could have problems detecting a device plugged into the usb connector for example, or the motherboard may get upset if it detects a device, sends commands to it, but replies never reach the motherboard because the reply was supposed to come through that wire that's now interrupted.

(you could in theory solve this issue by disabling those usb ports from bios and you'd have a working pc, but nothing would happen when you try to use those specific usb ports in the back)

1 hour ago, Hakemon said:

🤣  The resistor cost the manufacturer pennies, and will cost them nothing to repair.  You're asking OP to spend another huge wad of cash they may or may not even have.  It's really not that big of a deal you think, so yes you're living in a fantasy world where you think the cost of one little wee bit SMD resistor should be the cost of a full motherboard when the manufacturer will spend nothing on fixing it.  They have the bed of nails that'll diagnose it fairly fast, and get it back in circulation in no time.

Still fraud, as you're asking for a free replacement of something you broke. It's illegal, regardless of whether it costs nothing or a million.

Accidents happen, it's not up to the store to pay for that. You break something, it's your problem. It's not fantasy, it's the harsh truth of the real world. 

Not that I expect someone with an AMD FX to understand the real world 😄 

1 hour ago, Hakemon said:

and will cost them nothing to repair. 

It would cost them more to repair than the cost of the board so wouldn't even happen, it'd just be thrown away.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Hakemon said:

Literally no one is going to care or see it, if they had to ask if their motherboard was dead and didn't know it was a resistor, I REALLY and HIGHLY doubt OP can solder an SMD component.  So let's be realistic here and not live in a fantasy world.

3 hours ago, Archer42 said:

Keep in mind - there are no useless components on the board.

You removed seemingly smd resistor (or other small smd component - hard to tell). This will almost certainly result in something not working. Can be anything - from some port to something critical like cpu power. Will have to replace it, which might be a bit of a pain since you'll also have to know the value of the component.

Also yeah, breaking something and then returning it is generally bad...

3 hours ago, Archer42 said:

So stealing is fine if you steal a couple of pennies? No, not really.

Also this is not how it works. Will take a good amount of time to troubleshoot without knowing what the issue is and nobody is going to bother. Most likely will just end up in e-waste since for manufacturer it'll often be cheaper to make new one than to repair this. Unless repair happens on some local service center level.

This is promoting fraud, granted its pennies but the idea and even suggesting this Violates the Communities Standards.

$0.02 or $1000 is still fraud.

Do not continue to do this in this forum as we do not accept this behavior, if you do, you may find yourself disciplined.

@0000001000100111001100 If you attempt to RMA this make sure to be truthful, they will be able to tell if you're lying. Trust me it's better to be upfront than attempt fraud, they may even fix it for you for being upront. I was honest with a company this once and they straight up replaced the board and sent me a new one.

-=Topic Locked =-

Solution was found and marked by OP.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER