I don’t know what to do

Go to solution Solved by Riley Howes,

How much money do you currently have? I would recommend having a tower with a b450 Pro with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x and 16 gb ram. Also a 600w psu, If you are looking for RTX go for a 2060- 2060 super but if not a GTX 1070 ti.

43 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That's not what I said, I said legally a child cannot spend £300 without permission from their parent/guardian first.

I will concede that legally is not accurate and you are correct when you say there are no laws preventing it however OP still won't be able to walk into a shop and buy a laptop without a parent/guardian being there.

My point is still valid, OP will need permission.

So the UK has laws stating how much a child can legally spend?

On 3/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, whm1974 said:

So the UK has laws stating how much a child can legally spend?

Again, not what I said. In the UK anyone under the age of 16 is considered a minor in the eyes of the law, they have diminished responsibility but along with that comes diminished rights.

A child can spend whatever they want, as long as it is their money, however its up to the parents to decide if the child's purchase is suitable for them or not.

As I said, specifically there's no laws about how much a child can spend, the laws are based around the parent being the ones who are ultimately responsible for their children.

Shops also have a duty to actively question a significant purchase made by a child. How does the child have £300? Have they stolen it? Does the child's parent's know they've potentially emptied their bank account? There's no reputable shop anywhere in the UK that would take £300 of a child without a parent present.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 3/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, Master Disaster said:

Again, not what I said. In the UK anyone under the age of 16 is considered a minor in the eyes of the law, they have diminished responsibility but along with that comes diminished rights.

A child can spend whatever they want, as long as it is their money, however its up to the parents to decide if the child's purchase is suitable for them or not.

As I said, specifically there's no laws about how much a child can spend, the laws are based around the parent being the ones who are ultimately responsible for their children.

Shops also have a duty to actively question a significant purchase made by a child. How does the child have £300? Have they stolen it? Does the child's parent's know they've potentially emptied their bank account? There's no reputable shop anywhere in the UK that would take £300 of- -

How much does 300 British pounds come out in $Dollars?

Edited by LogicalDrm

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

How much does 300 British pounds come out in $Dollars?

$420 (nice)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 3/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, Master Disaster said:

But online, on the other hand...

Edited by LogicalDrm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

$420 (nice)

I wouldn't know how the Refub market is for used PCs is in the UK, but for ~$400 you here in the US get a quite usable Laptop depending on what you wanting to do with it.

I'm going to have to read the Topic again. What does the kid want again, Laptop or DIY desktop? However if he or she my child, I would caution them on spending that much money on a laptop.

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

But online, on the other hand...

That's a whole different story for sure. The purchase would still be covered by the UK's distance selling laws (the right to return anything non perishable bought online as long as its within 14 days and the item is unopened) and most (if not all) online retailers will have age restrictions just to have an account so its not like the parents wouldn't be able to return the item for a full refund once it arrived.

Also the transaction would still have to go through the bank and as I said earlier, banks can (and will) stop large payments on a minors account until they've spoken to the counter signers.

Spoiler

I have thought about the m1 Mac mini but I’ll need a monitor so I could get an old 21 inch tv

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

@Noahi5-3337u, please note that like many other sites in the internet, our minimum age is 13 years old. We have no way of verifying your page, but if your guardian contacts us, they have every right for all your content to be removed. Also, please note our privacy rules:

• Privacy
    • Do not post other people's personal information (name, email, addresses, phone number, etc) without their explicit consent.
    • Do not post personally identifiable information pertaining to anybody under the age of 16, including yourself, regardless of whether you have permission to do so.

While these don't include sharing your age, internet is dangerous place for the younger audience. So we kindly ask that you don't share ANY personal details. I have censored such from the thread.

To all others, mind your language when you know you are talking to minor. I hate when I need to babysit adults.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv