Computers and Software on Spacecraft.

whm1974

I have always been interested in Outer Space and Manned Space Missions in particular. Watching the movie Apollo 13, it was mentioned that the onboard computer was a Glorified Calculator... Or did I read that somewhere?

Speaking of which, I am well aware how old and basic the electronics on Spacecraft are. But I am not that familiar with them. I do know that they are Harden to a large degree.

As far software goes, the FORTRAN and Forth Programming Languages were used for long time and far as I know, still used. So are they?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

So are they?

Pretty sure they are using C nowadays.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Pretty sure they are using C nowadays.

OOPS! I forgot to mention C.🤦‍♂️ But is NASA still using FORTRAN and Forth?

8 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

The shuttle program is over, though.

All computers are glorified calculators.

FORTRAN is still used for the legacy devices which require it. Voyager 1 and 2 still receive updates and that code must be written in FORTRAN. A lot of the time custom languages are used and saying there is any coherency to them... It's not like even twenty years ago a mobile processor was capable of a whole lot so developers had to get creative. A lot of it is just ASIC or has very small assembly type pieces attached.

If you're really curious for how far down the rabbit hole goes, the JWST is driven by a number of languages, but how its controlled is through a special version of Javascript called ScriptEase. The company who developed it was Nombas, but they've been acquired by Enea AB. This is the unfortunate state of government-created programs. The contracts get awarded, and then fulfilled with varying degrees of quality. ScriptEase 5 is based on ECMAScript from almost 20 years ago. The telescope is still here on the ground, and we're using a 20 year old scripting language from a company that was chop shopped to control it. Crazy, but also kind of stupid.

Anyone who decided they should just stick with C or C++ should receive a medal.

Along with using the C Shell for UNIX and UNIX like OSes.

20 hours ago, whm1974 said:

But is NASA still using FORTRAN and Forth?

Wouldn't surprise me. FORTRAN has the habit of refusing to die in academic circles.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Wouldn't surprise me. FORTRAN has the habit of refusing to die in academic circles.

So safe assumption that someone studying Mathematics and Physics is likely to learn FORTRAN? Geez Whiz I forgotten how to long division by hand... So I would have a hard time learning FORTRAN then?

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So safe assumption that someone studying Mathematics and Physics is likely to learn FORTRAN? Geez Whiz I forgotten how to long division by hand... So I would have a hard time learning FORTRAN then?

For most stuff physics and astronomy are dominated by Python in my experience. For the  more important things C is the go to language. Fortran sticking around is part the age old "don't fix what isn't broken" and part its number crunching abilities as (to my limited Fortran knowledge) it's still king for certain tasks. You may be able to reach the same level by writing highly optimal C code, I don't know.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

For most stuff physics and astronomy are dominated by Python in my experience. For the  more important things C is the go to language. Fortran sticking around is part the age old "don't fix what isn't broken" and part its number crunching abilities as (to my limited Fortran knowledge) it's still king for certain tasks. You may be able to reach the same level by writing highly optimal C code, I don't know.

Well I did try to learn C, FreeBASIC, and FreePascal. But...

31 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I haven't done any programming since 1980. I'm self taught in Honeywell Advanced basic

Mainframe?

33 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Mainframe?

I have one in my garage.

About 5 feet tall.

1980 something

PRIME computer INC.
Framingham, MA. USA
Main Frame Cabinet CCD 3081
120/208 Volts @ 60Hz.

3 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I believe it was Honeywell Advanced Basic using a Time Sharing System.

No monitors back then, only paper and yellow paper backups

Not even Dumb Terminals?