money

Paralectic

It's up to you. Often i don't ask for much and i get more.

I was fixing a laptop for my mate's sister and just set it running next to me while i was working on something else. Asked for a fiver for it to pay for my bus as i couldnt be bothered going to the bank and she gave me a tenner instead.

If you want to be sneaky you could always take a cut out of the build cost if they give you the money to get all the components and build it.

I am not doing anything sneaky because that's against my morals.

I will go with him, to the hardware store and buy the parts we need, we'll go to his house and build the system and that's it.

After reading a few replies here, I will ask for a small amount of money if he agrees on that.

A favour for a favour. You do this for him, someday you'll need something and since you helped him he'll help you. Or just go out one day and grab a few beers :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

I'd say do this for free, but say you charge $20 for troubleshooting.  That's the problem with building a pc for a friend is that they will always call you when something acts up.  You become their lifetime warranty lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say do this for free, but say you charge $20 for troubleshooting.  That's the problem with building a pc for a friend is that they will always call you when something acts up.  You become their lifetime warranty lol.

He gave me 70 bucks for it because I've helped him several times after building the rig.

Not even mad

You should definitely charge for work done just don't over charge. But don't be like me and under charge or let people pay anything they feel like as their percived value of your time is normally far less then if it was any kind of job.

How I charge people:

Family: $50 Building fee

Friend: $100

Random person: $125

Random rich person: $200

Modding:

Cable Sleeving: + $50 to fee.

Watercooling: + $200 to fee.

damn you are only 15 and yet you price things far better then me

my prices are something like this

build a computer -what ever you want to pay

install a router -what ever you want to pay

install a printer -what ever you want to pay

fix windows 98 again -what ever you want to pay

make carving knives -what ever you want to pay

build tooling to assemble FN FAL and AR 15 -what ever you want to pay

assemble an FN FAL -what ever you want to pay

problem seems to be most people don't want to play shit lol

Edit: note to self check date before posting.

You should definitely charge for work done just don't over charge. But don't be like me and under charge or let people pay anything they feel like as their percived value of your time is normally far less then if it was any kind of job.

damn you are only 15 and yet you price things far better then me

my prices are something like this

build a computer -what ever you want to pay

install a router -what ever you want to pay

install a printer -what ever you want to pay

fix windows 98 again -what ever you want to pay

make carving knives -what ever you want to pay

build tooling to assemble FN FAL and AR 15 -what ever you want to pay

assemble an FN FAL -what ever you want to pay

problem seems to be most people don't want to play shit lol

:-)

I literally said " Pay whatever you want, I usually don't accept money but because the effort I put in it I will accept it " and got 70 bucks.

Guys, the world isn't free, learn this basic fact. Yeah, it is trivial, but let's be realistic. 30 Euro sounds more than reasonable especially if OP is having financial issues, isn't that what friends are for? You know, to help each other out. Friendship is a two way road, not one. Guy gets his PC built by someone who knows what they are doing and OP gets something that can go towards important living stuff such as a little bit of groceries. Stop being so harsh just because OP wants some form of compensation. If I were in this situation, at the bare minimum, I'd at least ask for a pizza for my manual labour.

Edit: 70 Euro, eh? Not bad. I'd say to make things really nice, maybe have a mini pizza party and use the rest for groceries or something.

Paradox :-)

Yes?

On a serious note, it seems you made this thread just to comfort yourself.

Get him to buy you a McDonalds when you're making it, now THAT'S fair.

Hey.

Guys, the world isn't free, learn this basic fact. Yeah, it is trivial, but let's be realistic. 30 Euro sounds more than reasonable especially if OP is having financial issues, isn't that what friends are for? You know, to help each other out. Friendship is a two way road, not one. Guy gets his PC built by someone who knows what they are doing and OP gets something that can go towards important living stuff such as a little bit of groceries. Stop being so harsh just because OP wants some form of compensation. If I were in this situation, at the bare minimum, I'd at least ask for a pizza for my manual labour.

Edit: 70 Euro, eh? Not bad. I'd say to make things really nice, maybe have a mini pizza party and use the rest for groceries or something.

50Euros he gave me, I have saved him nearly 200 and I put many hours in it.

He's not a close friend, more of a relative.

It's a friend of my cousin who I happen to know and sometimes see at birthday/chillings.

The problem is the 'pay what you want'.

Also, I'm an active member so I don't care if you quote this in 10 years. :)

Depends on how close he is as a friend. If they are not close friends, your time and knowledge has value and it's not wrong to be compensated for that if you're upfront about it. I've charged money for that kind of thing, after all, they could always take it to a big box store to be "fixed" for hundreds of dollars. My time has value, I don't owe it to them because they are ignorant of computer technology.

I wouldn't charge my friends for building and troubleshooting their PCs. They mean more than me so I'd never charge for something like that.

Do you want money that badly?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Depends on how close he is as a friend. If they are not close friends, your time and knowledge has value and it's not wrong to be compensated for that if you're upfront about it. I've charged money for that kind of thing, after all, they could always take it to a big box store to be "fixed" for hundreds of dollars. My time has value, I don't owe it to them because they are ignorant of computer technology.

It's not a close friend, and yes my time has value and certainly my knowledge because I have invested literally houndreds of hours into that.

And even when he offered the money ( 50 euros ) I have repeatedly said to him that I don't want him but he just wanted to so it's all cool in the end.

OT: I don't have "Financial problems" but I just don't earn any money myself in this period of my life ( Full time student in programming ).

Thanks everyone for your opinion and input.

Now he's in possession of a gaming rig with an i5 4670K, GTX 770 in a nice case by Corsair ( 200d ) with a 2TB HDD and such with a 212 Evo on a nice Z87 motherboard by Gigabyte.

He couldn't be any happier, he is satisfied what I delivered him for a reasonable price so yes :D

If it starts getting on your way of personal life, Then yeah, of course you should

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If it starts getting on your way of personal life, Then yeah, of course you should

What do you mean? I don't understand that sentance lol.

I usually ask 30 euro when I do this for a friend and familiy I usually do for free but they always give me some.

I've done it for a a few friends some I don't charge, others I ask 50 euro depending how far I have to travel, If I'm going to put the time in and have to travel I want at least 20-30 euro profit.

I have gotten higher amounts from friends of my friends. Its definitely worth doing especially if you are picking parts too.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I've done it for a a few friends some I don't charge, others I ask 50 euro depending how far I have to travel, If I'm going to put the time in and have to travel I want at least 20-30 euro profit.

I have gotten higher amounts from friends of my friends. Its definitely worth doing especially if you are picking parts too.

I have done everything, asking him what he wanted, the budget, I've selected and ordered the parts.

Put the build together, installed WIndows and everything including drivers.

I've also done a perfect job on the cable management and also setting up his desk with the monitor and everything.

ask for 30 euros max imo, if you really need some cash, i would do it for free for close friends, and a bit for normal friends

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It really depends on how close you are. If he is really close I will do it for free. If he is like a normal friend and he is only using it for gaming I would just ask 30 euros. If he is your normal friend and he is using this computer for business then I would go a little higher.

Just ask a tad of money, don't rip him off.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Just ask a tad of money, don't rip him off.

He gave me what he wanted to give, I didn't even ask for anything and first refused it but he wanted me to accept it ( 50Euros he gave me, which is like 70 bucks ).

OP in what city do you live? I live in South-Holland too :P

OP in what city do you live? I live in South-Holland too :P

I live in a town.. And where do you live than? lol

I live in a town.. And where do you live than? lol

Me too in a town, but where do you live, in what town? :D

Me too in a town, but where do you live, in what town? :D

Alblasserdam it's called lol.