Thoughts on how balanced this build is

Budget is irrelevant really.  And I will be using my GTX 1650 Super until I can get a 3070, or maybe even a 2080 Ti, so no GPU in the build.

Mac user since the early 90's and this will be my first build.  My current PC is a Dell Optiplex.

So how well balanced is this?  Do I need more or less in certain areas?  Prices are Canadian from Memory Express.  Thanks!

1121049691_Screenshot_2021-03-02OnlineCheckout-MemoryExpressInc(1).png.949d57d12afe4cf088ed07cbdcfc7321.png

is this for gaming or?

it's okay for AAA gaming at 1440p/4K, a 10700k + 2080ti/3070

i would look to get 32gb RAM nowadays

edit: you might've already done that, seeing the 2 beside the RAM, but why not 2x16 DIMMs?)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

is this for gaming or?

it's okay for AAA gaming at 1440p/4K, a 10700k + 2080ti/3070

i would look to get 32gb RAM nowadays

It's for gaming mostly, but everything else lightly also. And there are 2x 16gb kits in the parts list, so 32GB.

Just now, chocolatekarma said:

It's for gaming mostly, but everything else lightly also. And there are 2x 16gb kits in the parts list, so 32GB.

why not go for 2x16gb?

other than that, it looks okay

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

why not go for 2x16gb?

other than that, it looks okay

Fair point.  I certainly wouldn't need 64GB for gaming, but might for other things in the future, so it would be nice to leave two slots open.

Looks good. Careful with case though. It may fit since board ( 30.5cm x 23.0cm) and mobo is an ATX, I've seen several times that fits up and down but overlaps with space required for cable management (but doubt it will be an issue). If you are planning on using external sound card with power supply needed (I am always pushing people to do so) it also fit on but place it after cables have been installed. Only think I am kinda pessimistic about is that PSU. I have 2x2080ti aorus xtreme custom cooling solution and currently idles at around 325W. I will be not changing to 30series. Very happy with 2080ti performance and runs all games, pretty much all maxed out on 4k. However, if you are to use a secondary card, the psu might give you issues. Even though, manufacturer always recommend great capacity PSU for their cards just to be safe. I hit 990W checking something on Tomb Raider, so. I'd sacrifice additional 50ish $ and buy Corsair HX1000i or something along those lines. Had this PSU for many years and changed many rigs but it always stays. I am using AX1200i now and that 1000 one as secondary backup. Those PSUs are amazing. Good luck with your build. Max Raider

13 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

Fair point.  I certainly wouldn't need 64GB for gaming, but might for other things in the future, so it would be nice to leave two slots open.

I own a meshify C btw, and it doesnt fit all 30 series GPU

the MSI gaming x trio lineup is ever so slightly longer than most 30-series GPU so it wont fit if there's a fan up front, but moving the fan down helps

most 30-series GPU will be very close to the fan as well

-will edit in a photo from phone-

2070 super and a 3060ti in a meshify c

DSC_0324.thumb.JPG.9594d0eb6abc5eed792e768f496f6dfa.JPG

Gaming x trio 3070 (same length as my gaming x trio 3090 it seems)

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.434b5a671b585ccbcc33fbd157d5a82c.JPG

Oh and the cable management space is very limited if you choose to use 3.5 inch HDD

@Moonzy

Thanks so much for the photos!  I remember seeing a Gamers Nexus video recently about a larger Meshify coming out.  I love their Define cases also, but everyone says the airflow sucks in those, which makes sense by just looking at the solid front.

5 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

@Moonzy

Thanks so much for the photos!  I remember seeing a Gamers Nexus video recently about a larger Meshify coming out.  I love their Define cases also, but everyone says the airflow sucks in those, which makes sense by just looking at the solid front.

The meshify c is a decent case, just don't expect it to wow you

I would recommend it, just take note for the GPU length, especially since the newer GPU are chonkers

The limited cable management bothers me slightly but it's something that you set and forget, unless you tweak with your system as often as I do, then it may be an issue lol

There are a few things that stick out on that build.

The psu is expensive as it is a platinum rated unit. A Gold rated unit will save some money. Something like a Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus GX etc.

The SSD is a waste of money. It is a pcie 4.0 version but you can only run Gen 3 on an Intel Z490 board. I would swap it to a regular pcie 3.0 or you could wait for Z590 and 11th gen sometime this month. Also Samsung are usually overpriced anyway, and you can find better value with other brands such as Sabrent or WD etc. Also $800 on SSD storage seems excessive.

I would take the MSI Z490 Tomahawk over the Gaming X if you are not wanting to wait for Z590 and 11th gen.

This would be a lot cheaper. Swap the 4TB SSD to a 4TB HDD for mass storage. Saves a ton of money. The 2TB WD Blue SN550 is good enough for the O/S and games.

Also don't forget a cpu cooler if you don't already have one.

pc.jpg

@lee32uk

I appreciate your suggestions, and I will pick a more suitable PCIe 3.0 M.2, but it will be a Samsung.  That HDD you recommend is a 5400rpm, so not interested.  As I mention, money is not an issue, and I really want all SSD storage.  Also, I just trust Gigabyte more than MSI.

54 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

@lee32uk

I appreciate your suggestions, and I will pick a more suitable PCIe 3.0 M.2, but it will be a Samsung.  That HDD you recommend is a 5400rpm, so not interested.  As I mention, money is not an issue, and I really want all SSD storage.  Also, I just trust Gigabyte more than MSI.

Just as long as you realise you are paying more for the Samsung name. If you want a pcie 4.0 SSD then you might as well wait for Z590 and the 11th gen.

The HDD in my spec was just for mass storage, so 5400rpm isn't an issue. If you don't want any Hard Drives then of course it is irrelevant.