2 vs 4 RAM modules which is better?

5 minutes ago, jumbojosh said:

With a dual-channel Ryzen motherboard, is it better to have two RAM modules of the same size or four to populate all slots out the gate?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TtPgXL/asrock-x570-pg-velocita-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-pg-velocita

Dual channel --- cheaper

Quad channel -- more expensive, VERY MINIMAL performance jump from dual channel.

Performance will also depend on the rest of the system, what is your system and what RAM modules are you considering?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Just now, MarvintheParrot said:

Dual channel --- cheaper

Quad channel -- more expensive, VERY MINIMAL performance jump from dual channel.

Quad channel is only available on X299/TRX40.

AM4/LGA1200 is dual channel, no matter how many sticks of RAM you have.

Anyway.

For Ryzen, you can't really run 4 sticks of RAM past 3200 MHz. So unless you need lots of RAM or you have a 3200 MHz kit (like me - I plan to get 32GB and just drop in an identical 3200 CL14 kit), get 2 sticks instead of 4.

elephants

One slight disadvantage with 4x DIMMs is lower max DRAM OC, or XMP might not work out-of-the-box.

You may need to *manually* fine-tune the DRAM (e.g. voltage and/or timings) to get it working above DDR4-3200 / 3400.

Some lower quality boards may even refuse to run DDR4-3600+ with 4x sticks.

Because 4x DIMMs puts more stress / load on the CPU's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) vs 2x DIMMs.

This applies to both AMD (AM4) and Intel (LGA 115x and LGA 1200).

That is why some OC SPECIFIC boards only have 2x DIMM slots.

Example:

• EVGA Z390 Dark
  • ASUS Maximus XI Apex
  • ASUS Maximus XII Apex
  • (Older Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force LN2)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I think some explaining on quad rank, dual rank and single rank is needed, and daisy chain and T topology for the memory traces is also needed. Almost all boards now use daisy chain topology for connecting the DIMM slots, so populating all 4 DIMMs on a daisy chain board will clock lower regardless. The next thing is ranks of memory, if you run 4 DIMMs of dual ranked 4Gb (gigabit) memory (each RAM chip is 4Gb, 1/8 of 4GB), which are 8GB, you'll have quad rank dual channel 32GB, which would be harder to run than 2 DIMMs of single ranked 16Gb, being 16GB DIMMs with 8 memory modules on the DIMM instead of 16 modules on each stick, with 32 modules per channel. The more ranks you have vs a given speed and timing, the more performance you get for those settings, however they're harder to run, so there is a trade off. There are many DIMM PCBs that effect this too, and many difference ICs and sadly, knowing what works best with specific ICs is needed to be able to overclock them effectively on a given platform. 
Running two single ranked DIMMs in the same channel will make that channel run in dual rank mode also, I should have explained that too. Basically a rank is a set of a specific number (in this case 8 ) modules that are in the channel. If you have 2 groups of 8, it's dual ranked, 3 groups of 8 it's triple ranked, however this is a gross over simplifaction of this to make it easier to understand. Ranks are not channels but just how the memory is organised in a channel. 

Despite both being 32GB, the first one is a lot harder to run just because there are more memory modules attached to the IMC, and is a reason why early DDR4 clocked sorta bad, I have a 32GB kit of 4Gb Micron MFR, meaning 64 memory modules, it is insane to think these kits existed as it really does clock like arse. Best I got was 2800MHz, however this memory is also a bad bin as it's only 2133MHz, doesn't even have an XMP profile, despite being Corsair LPX.

T topology boards are a little different, in order to get these to clock the best, all 4 DIMMs (assuming a dual channel, all 8 DIMMs if quad channel) must be populated otherwise there is RAM traces going to random pins that are open to the air, thus acting as antenna. These boards aren't as popular now as they where, but should still be watched out for as you can have a bad time trying to OC just two DIMMs on these. 

Yours faithfully

Are you guys just running stock voltage settings? 🧐

I can run 4 sticks up to 1900 no problem, and I am a noob wtf guys 😜

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14