Building a server, what type of network switch should I use?

Hello there,

So I am building a small server to hold my Nas, Compute Server and some headroom for clients to access it all via a gigabit connection. I just wanna know If I should use a managed or unmanaged? Can I use a DHCP server on a windows server 2019 machine with a unmanaged switch? 

Sincerly,

Sienty

Provided you don't need to segment off clients with VLANs or anything then unmanaged is fine as it will just make a flat network and you can run a DHCP server on there just fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok, I would assume you cant directly connect to a client through the switch unless its a smart managed. Am I correct?

Just now, SientyHD said:

Ok, I would assume you cant directly connect to a client through the switch unless its a smart managed. Am I correct?

Not sure I follow, you mean client A talk to client B or something else?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, SientyHD said:

2 devices can connect on a switch directly with a normal setup. So any port can talk to any port.

Basically, 

So Instead of traffic going through the switch to the server then back to the switch then to the desired client. I would like it so the client would go through the switch then the client.

4 minutes ago, SientyHD said:

Basically, 

So Instead of traffic going through the switch to the server then back to the switch then to the desired client. I would like it so the client would go through the switch then the client.

yeah that's perfectly doable on a normal unmanaged switch

30 minutes ago, SientyHD said:

Basically, 

Yup, that's how the operate. The only time it will go to the server or to a router is if you have multiple subnets at play on different VLANs where they have to talk through the router to get to each other. (assuming no L3 switch is involved of course)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok, I will try a 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch, connect it to my server running windows server 2019 datacenter. I am gonna install the DHCP server, config it and it will act as the DHCP server, internet source and NAS. While being able to do client to switch to client?

3 hours ago, SientyHD said:

Ok, I will try a 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch, connect it to my server running windows server 2019 datacenter. I am gonna install the DHCP server, config it and it will act as the DHCP server, internet source and NAS. While being able to do client to switch to client?

Yup, exactly 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok sweet, tho I am gonna need some help setting up the DHCP and possibly the DNS server, I wanna have it supply over ethernet while getting internet from its wifi card. I know what your most likely gonna say but I just want simple internet access for the time being. I can offer a remote desktop connection tho I would need to add someone via discord.

-Sienty