CPU benchmark/stress test with no operating system

I know, the title is not precise but I wanted to make it shorter.

I am looking for the easiest solution to be able to run some CPU benchmark or stress test on a computer that doesn't have any hard drives or SSD's in it. Is it possible to run some extremely lightweight operating system from an SD card and run something similar to Cinebench for example? Ideally it should be able to run from a 2GB SD card.

Most Linux based OS's allow you to run off an SD/USB/DVD. Since you said 2gb, I'd recommend something like Linux Lite (1.4GB). Some laptops & prebuilts also have these tests built into the BIOS. If you want to use the SD, chances are you're going to need a USB to SD converter, because not all systems can boot directly off SD.

42 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Most Linux based OS's allow you to run off an SD/USB/DVD. Since you said 2gb, I'd recommend something like Linux Lite (1.4GB). Some laptops & prebuilts also have these tests built into the BIOS. If you want to use the SD, chances are you're going to need a USB to SD converter, because not all systems can boot directly off SD.

Thanks. Do you have any particular recommendation? Some combo you used in the past perhaps?

I have a USB card reader, so that shouldn't be a problem.

23 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

There's actual distro made for this https://www.phoronix-test-suite.com

Thanks for the tip. It looks a little bit too much for me, I literally just wanted a simple CPU stress test (simulate 100% utilisation and see if the cooling is adequate enough).

I ended up using:

1. Lubuntu installed on a 16GB micro SD card installed from another SD card - so I literally had 2 card readers in the computer at the same time. The point is that it was an absolutely normal operating system installation (like what you would do for Windows for example) just installed on a micro SD card rather than on a hard drive.

2. GtkStressTesting to run the CPU on 100%

3. Psensor to monitor the temperature

If I take this SD card to another computer, I can do the test straight away, so basically I achieved what I wanted. To make it clear: you only need 2 SD cards (DVD, thumb drive, etc.) for the installation, after that you just have to plug this card into any computer, boot from that card and run the test.

1 minute ago, gyorfitam said:

Thanks for the tip. It looks a little bit too much for me, I literally just wanted a simple CPU stress test (simulate 100% utilisation and see if the cooling is adequate enough).

I ended up using:

1. Lubuntu installed on a 16GB micro SD card installed from another SD card - so I literally had 2 card readers in the computer at the same time. The point is that it was an absolutely normal operating system installation (like what you would do for Windows for example) just installed on a micro SD card rather than on a hard drive.

2. GtkStressTesting to run the CPU on 100%

3. Psensor to monitor the temperature

If I take this SD card to another computer, I can do the test straight away, so basically I achieved what I wanted.

I used to have, or still have, some USB stick with Phoronix set up. Its good tool since it includes gParted for example. So if I ever need to revive infested PC, thats the tool I would go with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv