VGA and... DVI.... >:C

Monchi
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

We use the term CCFL-backlit to distinguish older monitors that use fluorescent backlights as opposed to LED-backlit.  (Well, I do anyway).

DVI and VGA have potentially the same visual quality, but as a non-digital signal VGA cannot correct any image degradation that occurs from electromagnetic interference, while DVI can.  This is not always a problem for VGA of course, but it depends on the environment of use and how good the shielding on the VGA cable is.  Sometimes it will look as good as DVI, sometimes it will be terrible.  DVI also allows higher resolutions and refresh rates on larger monitors.  In my experience DVI is also more reliable.

i put an angry face on the title because i'm a little angry on the result i just made >:C <-- (see i did it again)

so i finally found an DVI-I cable which was hidden from me for 5 years in my dad's cable messed drawers and then i plug it in as well with the VGA, then i used NVIDIA's control panel to switch between VGA and DVI and the result... NO-DIFFERENCE! >:C <--- (3rd time! omg! this is serious) and fearing that software illuded me, so i plug and unplug and the result? NO-DIFFERENCE.

so once again i have to question the difference >8C <-- (now with bulgy eyes!)

and another question O: (change mood) "LED or LCD" i know people will say "They are the same" but the lighting aren't so what do you call them instead then to avoid confusion?

Contrary to Linus' passionate ranting, VGA isn't actually made by the devil to murder your pixels. It IS more susceptible to interference because it's an analog signal, but it works just fine in most cases.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Oh I see, you were expecting to observe a difference in appearance when you switched to DVI? Yeah, that's not how this works. Any monitor that would look better on DVI doesn't support VGA (natively anyway).

VGA and DVI are technically identical in terms of image quality. Using DVI instead won't magically make your images look a thousand times better.

You also failed to tell us what the problem with your VGA was in the first place. More info please.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

VGA and DVI are technically identical in terms of image quality. Using DVI instead won't magically make your images look a thousand times better.

You also failed to tell us what the problem with your VGA was in the first place. More info please.

uhh... there isn't any problem at all with my VGA im just testing what are the difference between those two.

uhh... there isn't any problem at all with my VGA im just testing what are the difference between those two.

Then I don't understand the point of this thread.

A simple Google search would state that DVI is digital and VGA is analog. Digital signals enable higher resolutions because of more bandwidth.

There's no difference in terms of what you see. You could have a monitor with all four standards (VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort) and the image would be pretty much identical across all four.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

and another question O: (change mood) "LED or LCD" i know people will say "They are the same" but the lighting aren't so what do you call them instead then to avoid confusion?

An LED monitor is an LCD monitor but the back light is provided by LEDs not a florescent tube

They are already named differently to avoid confusion... Im not sure what you are asking

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

from my experience, the only thing the same between DVI and VGA is the text it displays on the screen. but images are horrendous on VGA.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

You will notice a difference if you have high frame rates (because VGA is limited to something around 80 fps or something) or if your VGA cable has a problem with it.

An LED monitor is an LCD monitor but the back light is provided by LEDs not a florescent tube

They are already named differently to avoid confusion... Im not sure what you are asking

theeen aren't they different based on lighting then? I'm sorry but im having a hard time absorbing this when people say "They are the same" but they are clearly not when it comes to lighting.

im asking if they have a different name like VGA as Analog and DVI as Digital.

from my experience, the only thing the same between DVI and VGA is the text it displays on the screen. but images are horrendous on VGA.

how horrendous?

how horrendous?

my display is 1080p, use VGA and it looks like 720p upscaled to 1080p.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

theeen aren't they different based on lighting then? I'm sorry but im having a hard time absorbing this when people say "They are the same" but they are clearly not when it comes to lighting.

im asking if they have a different name like VGA as Analog and DVI as Digital.

yes they are differnet based on lighting but both use LCD screens, 

referred to as LCD screen - is a Liquid Crystal Display - uses florescent back lighting 

referred as an LED  screen - Same display as above but replaces the fluorescent lighting with rows of LEDS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We use the term CCFL-backlit to distinguish older monitors that use fluorescent backlights as opposed to LED-backlit.  (Well, I do anyway).

DVI and VGA have potentially the same visual quality, but as a non-digital signal VGA cannot correct any image degradation that occurs from electromagnetic interference, while DVI can.  This is not always a problem for VGA of course, but it depends on the environment of use and how good the shielding on the VGA cable is.  Sometimes it will look as good as DVI, sometimes it will be terrible.  DVI also allows higher resolutions and refresh rates on larger monitors.  In my experience DVI is also more reliable.

This thread is pretty carcinogenic, not gonna lie.

I prefer VGA because of it's simplistic pinout over DVI

But yes, DVI is better if you want to carry a higher resolution and/or a higher refresh rate because more jiggahertz=more bandwidth

Not to start a war but I heard somewhere that in theory VGA has no limit and there was something about removing the RAMDAC?

VGA is still good for me, but I would shoot for DVI because it benefits certain monitors.

For the people who hate on vga, if you are not gaming and using it for normal use and the cable is a good quality you will not notice a difference. Also my brother has a 1080p TN panel from LG and i have a 720p panel that is the same otherwise but mine is led backlit and it is a lot brighter so i would recommend led.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Finally, someone who actually answered the question in a sense that anyone can understand it specifically to the question and not their own.  =3=b *thumbs up*