Need some ideas on my storage server.

BenKrapohl

Hi yall. Im currently working on expanding my home storage server. I currently have a 8tb and a 1tb drive running together with extended storage from disk management. Im adding a 14tb drive to it and Id like to be able to use all 3 drives for the most amount of storage possible. I tried to extend the volume onto the 14tb but realized im not able to with the sectors per cluster limit of 16tb. I know the best solution would be to copy all the data somewhere else then format all the drives and start fresh with raid but thats not really easy with several TB of data. Not really sure what the best solution is here and would love some feedback. Thanks! 

Well, you should have some sort of backup anyway (waht if a drive fails unexpected and all your data is lost). So if you don't have that already, get yourself some external HDDs for backups, save your data there while you fromat your internal drives and set them up in RAID. Thats pretty much the safest and best choice here.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats your backup plan?

Why not just make the 14tb a different drive letter?

Currently have no backup plan. Hasn't really been a thought tbh. And I just prefer for everything to be under 1 volume. 

6 minutes ago, BenKrapohl said:

Currently have no backup plan. Hasn't really been a thought tbh. And I just prefer for everything to be under 1 volume. 

Id use that 14tb for backups then.

You realize if anything goes wrong with any drives, all the data is gone.

COuld switch to storage spaces, make a volume on the 14tb, copy the data, then extend. Use larger chunks so no 16tib limit.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id use that 14tb for backups then.

You realize if anything goes wrong with any drives, all the data is gone.

COuld switch to storage spaces, make a volume on the 14tb, copy the data, then extend. Use larger chunks so no 16tib limit.

Yeah I do understand that. I plan to get backups but I just havent quite yet. IN the super short term I wont have any but sometime in the next 6 months plan to get some backups. The drives are all brand new/ 6 months old so im risking it for a few months lol 

1 hour ago, BenKrapohl said:

Yeah I do understand that. I plan to get backups but I just havent quite yet. IN the super short term I wont have any but sometime in the next 6 months plan to get some backups. The drives are all brand new/ 6 months old so im risking it for a few months lol 

Brand new drives are the ones to worry about. In general, HDD's tend to either fail quickly or last a really long time.