Browser, version and OS: chrome windows 10 home

What happened?

missing notification

What did you expect to happen?

get a notification for this post

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

image.png

Any other relevant details:

is this SU before the SU update? does it have anything to do with that?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If you hadn't commented on the status since the update, you probably weren't following it, so it's right that you weren't notified of it.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you hadn't commented on the status since the update, you probably weren't following it, so it's right that you weren't notified of it.

ah, so old SU are all unfollowed? interesting

On 2/25/2021 at 7:36 AM, colonel_mortis said:

seems like i didn't get a notification for this reply, even though i followed

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

seems like i didn't get a notification for this reply, even though i followed

Huh, that's really weird. To confirm, you do get notifications for other statuses that you're following, right?

HTTP/2 203

6 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Huh, that's really weird. To confirm, you do get notifications for other statuses that you're following, right?

Yes

At least... The ones I do get notified about

I can confirm, sometimes I either don't get notifications, or they don't pop up for multiple minutes, this only seems to happen with status update replies in which I wasn't quoted.

I'm on a chromebook with chrome OS and chrome web browser. 

example right here, didn't get the notif for over an hour. 

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 11.40.11 PM.png

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I'm afflicted by this too.

@Moonzy commented on Moderators on the Forum 2 minutes ago. Usually I'll see it pop up in Off Topic on the home page, then a minute or so later get the notif.

No such thing here:

Spoiler

error.thumb.jpg.73d3c4a536044fcd75e444a6c3315c4b.jpg

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm afflicted by this too.

@Moonzy commented on Moderators on the Forum 2 minutes ago. Usually I'll see it pop up in Off Topic on the home page, then a minute or so later get the notif.

No such thing here:

Hide contents

error.thumb.jpg.73d3c4a536044fcd75e444a6c3315c4b.jpg

for normal post, i noticed it takes a while now

sometimes up to 2 minutes for notif to pop up

I already finished replying by then

missing notif

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1211c03bc93724ee2f689c8fc99b26fd.png

as well as mortis' reply on this post '-'

it's getting worse

43 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

missing notif

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.1211c03bc93724ee2f689c8fc99b26fd.png

as well as mortis' reply on this post '-'

it's getting worse

That one is probably just delayed and should be showing up about now.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

That one is probably just delayed and should be showing up about now.

yeap. all the missing notif got delivered at once

I've now deployed the fix - please let me know if any more notifications are missed (or take more than a couple of minutes to be delivered).

HTTP/2 203

On 2/28/2021 at 10:13 PM, colonel_mortis said:

I've now deployed the fix - please let me know if any more notifications are missed (or take more than a couple of minutes to be delivered).

No missing so far (that I know of, haven't been active anyways)

But the notification of reaction on status update is delayed by about 1-2 minutes or so

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

No missing so far (that I know of, haven't been active anyways)

But the notification of reaction on status update is delayed by about 1-2 minutes or so

1-2 minutes delay is fine (for reactions it's probably just a delay in how often your browser is checking for new notifications rather than anything on the forum), it's 30 min+ delays that I'm interested in.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

it's probably just a delay in how often your browser is checking for new notifications

I thought changing page would make it appear immediately? At least that was the case before

16 hours ago, Moonzy said:

I thought changing page would make it appear immediately? At least that was the case before

Ah, yes that should show notifications immediately.

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ah, yes that should show notifications immediately.

well i browsed around and went back to the SU, found it getting reacted but no notif

i refreshed (F5) the page just in case, but still none, opening the bell still none

then a few seconds later the notif arrived

Okay I just re-experienced a missing notifications issue as well..... (I've had it before but I don't remember if it happened the exact same way.)

Earlier today, I created a topic in the CPUs subforum.  There's a little toggle switch that, by default, is set to follow the topic.  I left that as it is.

Came back a little bit ago to the LTT forums homepage, no indicator by the bell that I had any notifications.

Go in the CPUs subforum, and see that my topic has several replies.

(BTW, none of them quoted me directly, but I thought that if I was the creator of the topic AND I was following it, I would be notified anyway?)

2095042094_Screenshot(2074).thumb.png.42e1163fca9dc189af8cd1abca05fe75.png

On 2/28/2021 at 6:13 PM, colonel_mortis said:

I am facing the issue again. I missed two status update notifications from Den-fi.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

21 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Okay I just re-experienced a missing notifications issue as well..... (I've had it before but I don't remember if it happened the exact same way.)

Earlier today, I created a topic in the CPUs subforum.  There's a little toggle switch that, by default, is set to follow the topic.  I left that as it is.

Came back a little bit ago to the LTT forums homepage, no indicator by the bell that I had any notifications.

Go in the CPUs subforum, and see that my topic has several replies.

(BTW, none of them quoted me directly, but I thought that if I was the creator of the topic AND I was following it, I would be notified anyway?)

2095042094_Screenshot(2074).thumb.png.42e1163fca9dc189af8cd1abca05fe75.png

You're following that topic with "one email notification per week". You can change that specific topic by clicking the "Following" button at the top, and change the default for new topics going forwards at https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/?type=core_Content (accessible from your notification settings).

5 hours ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I am facing the issue again. I missed two status update notifications from Den-fi.

You've been notified about the most recent ~15 statuses by Den-Fi (as far back as I've checked). If you still think you're missing some, can you link an example that you didn't get notified about?

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

You're following that topic with "one email notification per week". You can change that specific topic by clicking the "Following" button at the top, and change the default for new topics going forwards at https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/?type=core_Content (accessible from your notification settings).

Ahh thanks.  Yeah, come to think of it, I think a while ago I had set it that way cause I was absolutely getting spammed with notifications on some other threads I had participated in.  (I wish there was a way to limit how often I get notifications for certain things ..... also any idea if there's a notification system for Floatplane comments?)

20 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I wish there was a way to limit how often I get notifications for certain things

That setting is individually configurable per topic, it's just the default when you reply to a topic that is set by that setting.

20 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

also any idea if there's a notification system for Floatplane comments?

Don't know, sorry, I'm not involved with Floatplane these days.

HTTP/2 203

On 3/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, colonel_mortis said:

That setting is individually configurable per topic, it's just the default when you reply to a topic that is set by that setting.

Ahh, guess I still need to figure it out then.  I just got notified that someone commented on a post .... and it turns out:

• The topic is almost 5 years old (from July 2016, link goes to their reply)
  • I wasn't the topic starter (although I had participated in it),
  • they weren't replying directly to me, nor quoting me.  (They quoted someone else.)

I'd like to figure out how to set it up so that if I start a topic, I get pretty much all notifications for that topic (unless I turn them off, or it's faster than a certain pace, like some very popular / hot topics can get),

but if I didn't start the topic, I get notified only if someone @ 's or quotes me.  (also I wish this loading circle when I type @ and space wouldn't stick around.)

I looked at that followed content link again ... the top 2 - auto-following new content I post, vs reply to ... if I have new content checked, and reply unchecked, should that have proper behavior?
And as for individual topics/posts/etc, I'd guess I still get notified if someone at's or quotes me...

And don't get me started on Discord notifications on my now 5 accounts (hit the 100-server limit again, this time on #4) ... by default it notifies me for everything that happens, people posting in chat channels, etc, on every server. 😱 I turn notifications completely off for the time being, until I can find a better way to get only the notifications I want.  (Also with all the apps on my phone that have notifications, it's almost always on silent, too.  I might consider getting a separate phone for work that's ONLY for that sometime.  And all the browser requests to send notifications ... sheesh!  Often on PC if I can't get rid of an in-browser popup, like "subscribe to our newsletter, enter your email here" or "we want to send notifications", using *ONLY* the keyboard, NO mouse, I'll often ctrl+w the tab and move on to something else.  And lest I forget to mention the----oh wait. if I keep going with all my complaints about notifications, spam, etc, I'll probably fill up every hard drive and SSD ever made with just plain text 😛 )