Are SSD'S hot-swapable?

Lightling

I wanna build my PC soon but idk if I can hot-sawp the SSD so it get's unpluged from data and power, is that possible without daming tthe SSD?

Thanks for the help

As long as you unmount your drive properly, and enabled hot swapping for that connection yes. Otherwise no.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Lightling said:

I wanna build my PC soon but idk if I can hot-sawp the SSD so it get's unpluged from data and power, is that possible without daming tthe SSD?

Do you mean 'hotswap' as in how USB is 'hotswap'? Just be able to unplug it while it's running?
That's not recommended, but I think in theory SATA is hotswap compatible.

The reason I say it's not recommended, is because with USB you can of course do that whole "safe unplug" thing, which you usually can't do with SATA devices. So I can't recommend doing that to an SSD.

Or do you mean hotswap in another way?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah, otherwise the system will boot off the SSD which I don't want since theres nothing on it. I want it to Boot of the USB.

Using the boot menu key in the BIOS will net better results.

That or changing the boot order in the BIOS.

I can just change the boot order in the BIOS? I thought I needed to unplug it. Thx for the help :=

3 minutes ago, Lightling said:

I can just change the boot order in the BIOS? I thought I needed to unplug it. Thx for the help :=

An even easier method would be to use the boot menu at start up. Usually its accessible by pressing F11 and there you can simply select the drive you want to boot from.

This doesn't mess with the boot order, so you don't need to change that back.

I want it to Boot from my USB and then to my SSD, does that work with you solution?

5 minutes ago, Lightling said:

I want it to Boot from my USB and then to my SSD, does that work with you solution?

Your motherboard will "figure it out".  It'll see that the SSD is blank and then try booting from anything else it can so it'll hit the USB drive and boot the Windows installer (which is my guess what you're doing).  If it doesn't you can set the USB drive to be the first boot device.

After Windows installs you just remove the USB drive and the SSD will automagically be detected as the boot device.

Motherboards nowadays always try to boot *something* so they're a lot better about not needing to manually mess with boot order very much.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Your motherboard will "figure it out".  It'll see that the SSD is blank and then try booting from anything else it can so it'll hit the USB drive and boot the Windows installer (which is my guess what you're doing).  If it doesn't you can set the USB drive to be the first boot device.

After Windows installs you just remove the USB drive and the SSD will automagically be detected as the boot device.

Do I need to remove the USB while it's installing? or when it's done? and yes I meant booting from the USB to install windows onto your SSD

4 minutes ago, Lightling said:

Do I need to remove the USB while it's installing? or when it's done? and yes I meant booting from the USB to install windows onto your SSD

I've left the USB in and it has been fine installing and rebooting itself and getting to the desktop, but you can just pull it after it goes into the first reboot.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I've left the USB in and it has been fine installing and rebooting itself and getting to the desktop, but you can just pull it after it goes into the first reboot.

K thx for the help 🙂

19 minutes ago, Lightling said:

K thx for the help 🙂

Is the USB an OS Install disk?  Or is the USB where the OS installed and running from?

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

Is the USB an OS Install disk?  Or is the USB where the OS installed and running from?

The USB is where the OS is gonna boot from, yes