Is there a motherboard that is compatible with both i7 6700 and i9 9900?

caincha

This is mostly hypothetical - I am not buying or building a computer, I am just curious if both CPUs would run in a identical motherboard considering that they got the same socket and apparently have the same 'base': both are 14nm, PCIe 3, DirectX 12 and so on.

So would a older board that was 'top tier' for the i7 6700 run the newer i9 9900 as they got the same socket?

no. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, caincha said:

Different BIOS, Chipset…?

different chipset

and intel just doesnt want to support the 9900k CPU in the lower chipset, and vice versa

they technically share the same socket, and people have gotten 8000 series CPU running in 7000 series boards thru bios modding (which isnt available at stock)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

99% it's a no. 1% I'm unsure because never trust technology. Anything can be possible.

The max you can find is support for 6th and 7th gen in a board.

The 8th gen boards are unlikely to support 6th gen despite having the same LGA 1151 socket.

Had a friend's 6700k which had some board issues. Couldn't find a 200 or 100 series board (z170,z270 and all the others)

So he eventually decided to sell both and opt for a new ryzen which costed the same as the old system

Why? Duh. Intel.

Alas, it won't work, you need to make money on new boards)

16 minutes ago, Peters said:

Alas, it won't work, you need to make money on new boards)

Ah so that's pretty much where I was driving my point: it would work (conceivably at least) if chipset/BIOS were compatible…?

So for the sake of argument, say you could replace BIOS and chipset (or flash them, don't know which is doable - if any) you could run the i9 9900 in an i7 6700 board…

say you could replace BIOS and chipset (or flash them, don't know which is doable - if any) you could run the i9 9900 in an i7 6700 board

You also need to take into consideration of the power draw of literally twice the amount of cores

Sure, some 6000 series boards may support that, but most of them will not, and Intel doesn't want their customers to buy an incompatible board and damage something

This is what happens when you plug in a CPU that's super high power draw on a board that can't handle it

The CPU is technically supported in the socket and chipset, but the board isn't ready for it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Ah so that's pretty much where I was driving my point: it would work (conceivably at least) if chipset/BIOS were compatible…?

So for the sake of argument, say you could replace BIOS and chipset (or flash them, don't know which is doable - if any) you could run the i9 9900 in an i7 6700 board…

1. You'd have to make a custom BIOS (which isn't something even remotely as easy as making a custom android rom)

2. replace the chipset? I don't know how are you going to do that and take the risk with a top tier board in case it bricks. But still that's not possible.

But I do like the concept of removable-swappable chipsets, but the manufactures won't do it. So let it stay a dream xD

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

You also need to take into consideration of the power draw of literally twice the amount of cores

Sure, some 6000 series boards may support that, but most of them will not, and Intel doesn't want their customers to buy an incompatible board and damage something

This is what happens when you plug in a CPU that's super high power draw on a board that can't handle it

The CPU is technically supported in the socket and chipset, but the board isn't ready for it

That is some top class action. People like these are the answers for various of our questions. Salute.

10 hours ago, zerocool1431 said:

1. You'd have to make a custom BIOS (which isn't something even remotely as easy as making a custom android rom)

2. replace the chipset? I don't know how are you going to do that and take the risk with a top tier board in case it bricks. But still that's not possible.

But I do like the concept of removable-swappable chipsets, but the manufactures won't do it. So let it stay a dream xD

My ulterior motive - and aspiration - would be run the i9 9900  CPU in the 2017 iMac 27" which according to everything I've seen online has the same hardware as the 2019 iMac 27". So yeah a lot more money than just a top tier board 😛

iFixit list the PSU as being the same in both 2017 and 2019 and even the specs listed on Apple shows both machines basically the same (at least the pre-T2 2019) the only noticeable difference being the GPU that goes from the Radeon 580 in the 2017 to Radeon 580X on the 2019. And of course different CPU lineup.

So considering Apple does have a 'policy of planned obsolescence' as well as they do make pretty much the same iMac since 2012 it would be conceivable that replacing the EFI chip (or flashing the firmware) on the 2017 model it could work with the i9 CPU.

Wish there were a YouTube channel brave enough to try and test this sort of whacky theories instead of the run-of-the-mill fanboys suck-up… If only Macs had RGBs to incite 'enthusiasts'…

8 hours ago, caincha said:

My ulterior motive - and aspiration - would be run the i9 9900  CPU in the 2017 iMac 27" which according to everything I've seen online has the same hardware as the 2019 iMac 27". So yeah a lot more money than just a top tier board 😛

iFixit list the PSU as being the same in both 2017 and 2019 and even the specs listed on Apple shows both machines basically the same (at least the pre-T2 2019) the only noticeable difference being the GPU that goes from the Radeon 580 in the 2017 to Radeon 580X on the 2019. And of course different CPU lineup.

So considering Apple does have a 'policy of planned obsolescence' as well as they do make pretty much the same iMac since 2012 it would be conceivable that replacing the EFI chip (or flashing the firmware) on the 2017 model it could work with the i9 CPU.

Wish there were a YouTube channel brave enough to try and test this sort of whacky theories instead of the run-of-the-mill fanboys suck-up… If only Macs had RGBs to incite 'enthusiasts'…

Well, if you've got the required hardware why don't you make a video of it.

I mean you've got it researched pretty well.

A couple more days into it and you'll know if it's actually possible or not.

Depends on where you live and if there are shops out there who can help you with the smaller stuff like any chips which need to be replaced on the board or flashed seperately.

It sure will be a costly one xD but it'll be fun.

I’m sorry to say this, but sadly, there isn’t.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LED (4x8GB)
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold certified
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

4 hours ago, zerocool1431 said:

Well, if you've got the required hardware why don't you make a video of it.

I mean you've got it researched pretty well.

A couple more days into it and you'll know if it's actually possible or not.

Depends on where you live and if there are shops out there who can help you with the smaller stuff like any chips which need to be replaced on the board or flashed seperately.

It sure will be a costly one xD but it'll be fun.

Haven't got the 2019 EFI chip. Found someone online that sells it but if it doesn't work I'll never know if the hardware can't handle or if the chip was a scam…

Oh and I am in New Zealand so pretty much on my own 😛

Or maybe not… 🤔 Had an idea, will flick some emails and see what I can get 😎