RX 580 exploded/popped

Chrno07

So i was playing Destiny 2 and my PC suddenly turned off, 0 warning. I then pressed me power button and nothing happened, so i went to the plug where my extender was plugged into and switched it on and off and pressed the power button again. A spark then appeared from what looks like the rear end of my gpu and and loud pop/bang that rung my right ear slightly. There was no smell and i unplugged everything from the wall. I'm not sure how to check my power cable fuse is fine or not as it has paper around it and i don't have the equipment to check if it is broken or not. I also have some pictures of what looks like some metal pins that have exploded? From what it looks like the far left and middle right pins have broken?

GPU.jpg

1872767234_GPU2.jpg

Welcome to the forums!!!

2 minutes ago, Chrno07 said:

I also have some pictures of what looks like some metal pins that have exploded? From what it looks like the far left and middle right pins have broken?

Those just look like the ends of the heat pipes that they pinch to close the ends and keep the gas inside. 

Are you sure the issue is not the power supply?? A full list of system specifications including the make and model PSU may help us determine your exact issue. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

It does sort of look like one of the heat pipes have exploded. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

My PSU is corsair 750W gold standard

I got this PSU a couple months ago so unless it is faulty.

Also after this whole issue went down all the plug sockets on my floor turned off (i'm guessing from a trip).

But my system has been working fine for a while

6 minutes ago, Chrno07 said:

My PSU is corsair 750W gold standard

I got this PSU a couple months ago so unless it is faulty.

Also after this whole issue went down all the plug sockets on my floor turned off (i'm guessing from a trip).

But my system has been working fine for a while

Ok if the power went out in your building then it could have been a power surge, a cracked heat pipe probably wont kill the gpu, just run hotter. I am starting to think that heat pipe is not the problem. Could ask your neighbors if they are having problems with their electronics. With a power surge with no surge protector it may have just killed the PSU, which can cascade into a multitude of dead hardware. 

Has the PC turned on since the power went out? Or non responsive since?

18 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Ok if the power went out in your building then it could have been a power surge, a cracked heat pipe probably wont kill the gpu, just run hotter. I am starting to think that heat pipe is not the problem. Could ask your neighbors if they are having problems with their electronics. With a power surge with no surge protector it may have just killed the PSU, which can cascade into a multitude of dead hardware. 

Has the PC turned on since the power went out? Or non responsive since?

I havent dared to turn it on again

But the thing is power is fine downstairs, it is just the floor my room is on

31 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Those just look like the ends of the heat pipes that they pinch to close the ends and keep the gas inside. 

Are you sure the issue is not the power supply?? A full list of system specifications including the make and model PSU may help us determine your exact issue. 

Specs:
GPU: RX 580 Sapphire
CPU: ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x 8GB 3000MHZ
Motherboard: ASrock X470 Master SLI
PSU: 750W Corsair Gold TXM series
Also if this helps at all, i live in the UK

1 hour ago, Chrno07 said:

I havent dared to turn it on again

Well, only one way to find out what is going on then, unplug everything in the system that is unnecessary, run one stick of ram, and no boot drive, just try to get to the bios. Could test your PSU on another, cheaper, system, or get a tester for it. If no smoke has happened then it may be good, typically when electronics die they have a electrical smell to them, which you say has not happened yet. Make sure the other electronics in the room where your PC is are not also having problems with the power. 

If all that happened is the breaker to your room tripped, then everything should be fine in the PC, but consider testing it on another circuit, like downstairs. Start by plugging it into the wall and turning on the switch on the PSU on, then attempt to boot the PC into the bios. If at any point the power trips or has any sparks or smell, kill the power immediately. I don't think that anything is dead, you probably just tripped a breaker and the PC did not like it, if something had died, then you would have smelled it by now. 

7 hours ago, IAMABOSS said:

Well, only one way to find out what is going on then, unplug everything in the system that is unnecessary, run one stick of ram, and no boot drive, just try to get to the bios. Could test your PSU on another, cheaper, system, or get a tester for it. If no smoke has happened then it may be good, typically when electronics die they have a electrical smell to them, which you say has not happened yet. Make sure the other electronics in the room where your PC is are not also having problems with the power. 

If all that happened is the breaker to your room tripped, then everything should be fine in the PC, but consider testing it on another circuit, like downstairs. Start by plugging it into the wall and turning on the switch on the PSU on, then attempt to boot the PC into the bios. If at any point the power trips or has any sparks or smell, kill the power immediately. I don't think that anything is dead, you probably just tripped a breaker and the PC did not like it, if something had died, then you would have smelled it by now. 

will i require my gpu for that? would my gpu even still work now

You mentioned that it could be fine just poorer heating but not sure and could my psu cause any further damage?

8 minutes ago, Chrno07 said:

will i require my gpu for that? would my gpu even still work now - i have no internal GPU

You mentioned that it could be fine just poorer heating but not sure and could my psu cause any further damage?

1 hour ago, Chrno07 said:

will i require my gpu for that? would my gpu even still work now

You will need to GPU in the system, If the pop killed anything, its already dead, so there is no harm in trying it again. This is why I told you to remove everything that is unnecessary, that way, no matter what, those parts cannot be damaged further, which is unlikely, the pop did whatever it did, time to find out what still works. 

Plug er in! 

10 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

You will need to GPU in the system, If the pop killed anything, its already dead, so there is no harm in trying it again. This is why I told you to remove everything that is unnecessary, that way, no matter what, those parts cannot be damaged further, which is unlikely, the pop did whatever it did, time to find out what still works. 

Plug er in! 

so i plugged everything in but not the gpu and as soon as i turned the wall socket on something popped not sure what as i couldn't see but my guess is the PSU... I'll try use an old PSU i have and see if that works, also turns out i do have onboard graphics as io shield has a hdmi port

Just now, Chrno07 said:

so i plugged everything in but not the gpu and as soon as i turned the wall socket on something popped not sure what as i couldn't see but my guess is the PSU... I'll try use an old PSU i have and see if that works

Yea pull that PSU out ASAP, maybe contact Corsair to get an RMA going, and let them know about the rest of the system. Sounds like it may be tripping the internal breakers/protection circuit in the PSU, have you noticed any smell from it?

Just now, IAMABOSS said:

Yea pull that PSU out ASAP, maybe contact Corsair to get an RMA going, and let them know about the rest of the system. Sounds like it may be tripping the internal breakers/protection circuit in the PSU, have you noticed any smell from it?

still no smell, my dad told me to unplug everything and just turn on the psu to see if anything happens should I?

Just now, Chrno07 said:

still no smell, my dad told me to unplug everything and just turn on the psu to see if anything happens should I?

No smell is great news, the protection circuits in the PSU are working, so what exactly did the PC do when you turned on the power? Just make a pop sound? How long did you leave it on for?

2 minutes ago, Chrno07 said:

If you have another PSU, go ahead and swap it out and test your system, then RMA the Corsair PSU.

1 minute ago, IAMABOSS said:

No smell is great news, the protection circuits in the PSU are working, so what exactly did the PC do when you turned on the power? Just make a pop sound? How long did you leave it on for?

it instantly made a pop so i turned it off immediately. The second i turned on the socket it popped

Just now, Chrno07 said:

it instantly made a pop so i turned it off immediately. The second i turned on the socket it popped

Yea that does not sound too great, you can unplug the PSU from the PC, (just pull it out of the system, remove 24 pin, CPU power, sata, all of it) Once the PSU is just sitting on a table, you can use a paper clip or spare piece of wire to test the PSU (Guide below). If it pops or anything, its dead, and will need to be RMAed. Without the paperclip, the PSU will just not turn on, but hopefully the guide makes some sense. 

16 minutes ago, Chrno07 said:

so i plugged everything in but not the gpu and as soon as i turned the wall socket on something popped not sure what as i couldn't see but my guess is the PSU... I'll try use an old PSU i have and see if that works, also turns out i do have onboard graphics as io shield has a hdmi port

Just saw that last part, Ryzen does not have onboard GPU unless you have a R3200G, R3400G, R2200G, the motherboard has HDMI if it is being used with those CPUs but a 2600x does not have any IGPU at all. That HDMI will not work at all, you will need your RX 580

5 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Yea that does not sound too great, you can unplug the PSU from the PC, (just pull it out of the system, remove 24 pin, CPU power, sata, all of it) Once the PSU is just sitting on a table, you can use a paper clip or spare piece of wire to test the PSU (Guide below). If it pops or anything, its dead, and will need to be RMAed. Without the paperclip, the PSU will just not turn on, but hopefully the guide makes some sense. 

i would do that but im shaking rn hahaha never had something like this happen so i'm very distraught

Just now, Chrno07 said:

i would do that but im shaking rn hahaha never had something like this happen so i'm very distraught

Its will be fine, hop in Corsair's RMA support line, https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/company/contact/ 

I think that is their UK support, its difficult to find the UK link from the USA since it redirects me to the US page lol. 

Also, just pull the PSU, swap it out for another unit, you said you had an older PSU, put it to use!