2080ti vs 3070 for ultrawide?

bdk74

Was wondering if you guys know if there is any hardware difference between 2080 and 3070? Since 30 series are out of reach I was wondering if I would be shooting my self in the foot by going 2080ti i.e?! Thoughts?

2560x1080 or 3440x1440? Or something else? What refresh rate?

...and what games?

I run 3440x1440 @ 120 Hz and get by fine in most of the games I play with a GTX 1080.

You also won't be able to find a 2080/2080 Ti for a reasonable price right now either.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3070 and 2080 ti perform very comparably in almost all regards. Not sure what you're asking.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

2560x1080 or 3440x1440? Or something else? What refresh rate?

3440 of course and perhaps closest to 144hz 😛

Just now, Middcore said:

3070 and 2080 ti perform very comparably in almost all regards. Not sure what you're asking.

hardware wise and future proof right. also 30 series is almost impossible to get where nvidia said they'll revive 20 series..

Just now, bdk74 said:

hardware wise and future proof right. also 30 series is almost impossible to get where nvidia said they'll revive 20 series..

What does "hardware wise" mean? The two cards perform almost exactly the same. And they didn't say they were reviving all of the 20 series, just 2060, and what does that have to do with anything? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, bdk74 said:

3440 of course and perhaps closest to 144hz 😛

Well, even the 3080 won't sustain 144 Hz in all demanding AAA games so...

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

My brother is borrowing my 3070 for his Samsung G9 and it runs great in most games. We haven’t had any issues, and games with DLSS ran crazy fast with the extra RT cores.

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Not even two 3090s would 😅

#truth

37 minutes ago, Middcore said:

What does "hardware wise" mean?

i.e second gen rt cores, pcie 4 etc...

38 minutes ago, Middcore said:

just 2060

its just 2060s? I thought it will be the whole line up?!

34 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

#truth

god damm marketing!

49 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I run 3440x1440 @ 120 Hz and get by fine in most of the games I play with a GTX 1080

but what settings?!

44 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Not even two 3090s would 😅

sli is dead....

One more question, if I'm running 1080 at the moment is there any benefit of going 20 or 30? Or should I wait for the next gen?

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Completely agree with you. 

14 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

One more question, if I'm running 1080 at the moment is there any benefit of going 20 or 30? Or should I wait for the next gen?

You'll see an upgrade going 30 series if you care about raytracing performance. Going to a 20 series card will not really be an upgrade at all, it'll just be introductory raytracing performance and an okay performance uptick in rasterization. Next gen, definitely for sure, you will see an upgrade in but is probably far out unless AMD keeps the heat on Nvidia, like we are already seeing between AMD and Intel.  

A 1080 should still be capable in games today. Also, if the card is running hot since you owned the card, consider reapplying new thermal paste. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Completely agree with you. 

Architecture is slightly different. So was wondering if 8.e dlss may work differently perhaps?

5 hours ago, bdk74 said:

sli is dead....

Yea, it was more of a point that high end games are more demanding than any hardware can handle at high res and 144fps.

the 2080 ti has more vram, and they are similar in speed so that card might do better and be more future proof with high reslalutions. 

10 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

the 2080 ti has more vram, and they are similar in speed so that card might do better and be more future proof with high reslalutions. 

what about things like 2nd gen RT cores on 30 series as well as 3rd gen Tensor vs 1st Gen. We also see pcie gen 4 or this is all just marketing bs and no real gain and future proof?

17 hours ago, bdk74 said:

but what settings?!

Depends heavily on the game, but I don't play many current-gen AAA games which is why the 1080 is still working for me. Usually somewhere around high overall. I shoot for 80-120 FPS where possible, but there are a few games where I have to drop lower just to stay above 60 (like Control). There are also a lot of games where the action isn't fast enough for me to care about being 100+ FPS, so cranking up the details and sitting around 60-70 FPS is fine by me.

I'll eventually upgrade when new GPUs are available, but for now the 1080 is getting by okay.

8 hours ago, bdk74 said:

what about things like 2nd gen RT cores on 30 series as well as 3rd gen Tensor vs 1st Gen. We also see pcie gen 4 or this is all just marketing bs and no real gain and future proof?

more vram for future vram hungry games. if every game supported dlss 8 gigs would be fine but for games that don't the extra 2 gigs in the 2080 ti could help with high detail settings and resolutions.