CPU and Mobo upgrade - win 10 installation

Rayzioz

upgrading from an intel 4690k platform to a new r5 5600x and b550 mobo set hopefully this weekend, and i need some help with windows 10 re-install

i've found a few youtube video's and articles but not entirely sure if this is done right:

- i've made a bios flashback for the b550 mobo on a usb

- got another usb with win 10 install kit from microsoft website

- i made a backup on a completely separate ssd that has the storage space (took 600gb)

I was planning to only have the boot drive (the 250gb sata ssd i currently have the OS installed on) plugged in when i boot for the first time, and go through the prompts to clear everything on the ssd to re-install windows from scratch? 

is that the right step to do? does it need to be the same drive that the backup is stored to get every program back?

also if i wanted to install a new nvme ssd and make that my OS drive would it be best to do that now or can i still do that later?

many thanks

On 2/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Rayzioz said:

upgrading from an intel 4690k platform to a new r5 5600x and b550 mobo set hopefully this weekend, and i need some help with windows 10 re-install

i've found a few youtube video's and articles but not entirely sure if this is done right:

- i've made a bios flashback for the b550 mobo on a usb

- got another usb with win 10 install kit from microsoft website

- i made a backup on a completely separate ssd that has the storage space (took 600gb)

I was planning to only have the boot drive (the 250gb sata ssd i currently have the OS installed on) plugged in when i boot for the first time, and go through the prompts to clear everything on the ssd to re-install windows from scratch? 

is that the right step to do? does it need to be the same drive that the backup is stored to get every program back?

also if i wanted to install a new nvme ssd and make that my OS drive would it be best to do that now or can i still do that later?

many thanks

So you have the OS on one drive and you want to move it to another drive ? If so you just boot the pc with be drive that has the OS and use a migration tool to move it over to your new drive laplinks is free

-> Moved to Windows

You will need to reinstall most of the software if you do fresh install. Unless you have made system image as backup, then you should be able to restore that.

By Windows install kit, what do you mean by that? Did you buy USB or made it yourself with Media Creation Tool?

As for last, I would do it now. Moving drives with OS drive can be complicated.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv