is Java a good option for the 1st language?

Pcnoob745

Java or Python? I dont really know what to start with. 

Specifications: 

MOBO: AsRock B450 PRO4

PSU: some kind of Corsair 80+ bronze

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

GPU Radeon RX590

RAM 16 GB G.skill Ripjaws 3200mhz

Fans: Xilince and Aerocool

2 minutes ago, camieabz said:

Many recommend Python.

yes python is much more simpler, learn it first, then learn java

I can only speak to my own experience. My path was C then Java for an object-orientated language. 

C is not very flashy, very basic, but concepts you learn there will cross-over. 

8 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

yes python is much more simpler, learn it first, then learn java

I found java to be more simple. More like advanced basic.

I loved my time with java. I spent most of my time writing little games. I found that i learned a lot about modular design and types and prototypes while using java. It's a language that makes you think.

Just now, Digideath said:

I found java to be more simple. More like advanced basic.

I loved my time with java. I spent most of my time writing little games. I found that i learned a lot about modular design and types and prototypes while using java. It's a language that makes you think.

python i think seemed easier because my cousin first picked it and basicly carried me

Honestly it does not matter what language you learn. The important thing is that you learn how to program and develop problem solving skills. The only thing that really changes between programming languages is the syntax and the standard set of libraries. I will say though that if you ever intend to do this professionally, then python is the way to go. Its probably the fastest growing language, highest starting salary, and most in demand right now. (don't quote me on that last bit but its really up there right now.)

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Really depends on what you want to do next. Java is obligatory in Android apps development. Python is mostly used in data science, machine learning, automation of different routines, and related stuff. Both will bring you a job, but these will be different jobs. As for the languages themselves, Java is, IMHO, just ugly (obligatory object-oriented programming which makes the code look more complicated than it actually is; annoying "}" and ";", and so on), so, from a pure ease of use point of view, Python is way better.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, Pcnoob745 said:

Java or Python? I dont really know what to start with. 

First of all if you want to be a software developer then you will be focusing on one language - and not language itself but software stacks available for that language. You should pick based on what you want to be doing. Java/Kotling are Android + lots of pro-sumer applications. If you are really good at all those Java software stacks you will be paid a lot.

Python is really good at web applications, web services, various data processing and visualization, bit of desktop apps while still more of a hobby - scripting electronics. Pick Python if you want to be doing web apps, generic scripting and alike.

If you want freelance/low-barrier-to-entry web development then you would be looking at frontend (HTML, CSS, JS) and bit of backend (PHP, things like Wordpress).

my path went PHP, c#, python and finally node (for work). I have a soft spot for python but i really do like node. streams and async are super powerful.

the main question is what are you want to develop as programming languages are like tools, you use the best on for the job.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´