ASIC machine profitability?

Go to solution Solved by tikker,

As @Kilrah says it all depends on the coin. Some algorithms (e.g. for BTC), allow for the super high optimization with ASICs and have no ways to counteract it. Given the difficulty of say BTC now, it can only realistically be done with ASICs. Others like ETH are designed to not be ASIC mineable so GPUs are your only choice there and they remain profitable for small rigs. Trying your luck with BTC on a GPU, well that's just a glorified space heater at that point (if GPU miners even exist).

If ETH would be ASIC mineable there would've been ETH ASICs a long time ago.

$6-7 revenue seems in line with ETH's current profitability at the moment of writing this post. You'll have to subtract your electricity cost to determine your actual profit of course.

So I’m looking into starting mining, and it seems like I could make like $6-7 a day of ETH on my 5700XT, so why do people try ASIC mining, is the profit margin much bigger, or is my $6-7 wrong?

You're about 15 years late to the mining game m8

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just depends what coin you mine. Some need ASICs to get anything worthy out, some are designed to run well on GPUs.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

As @Kilrah says it all depends on the coin. Some algorithms (e.g. for BTC), allow for the super high optimization with ASICs and have no ways to counteract it. Given the difficulty of say BTC now, it can only realistically be done with ASICs. Others like ETH are designed to not be ASIC mineable so GPUs are your only choice there and they remain profitable for small rigs. Trying your luck with BTC on a GPU, well that's just a glorified space heater at that point (if GPU miners even exist).

If ETH would be ASIC mineable there would've been ETH ASICs a long time ago.

$6-7 revenue seems in line with ETH's current profitability at the moment of writing this post. You'll have to subtract your electricity cost to determine your actual profit of course.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

You're about 15 years late to the mining game m8

Ya but for me ~$6 a day extra is still nice, that’s like $2100 a year (pre any tax)

11 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

Ya but for me ~$6 a day extra is still nice, that’s like $2100 a year (pre any tax)

When you take into account the cost of electricity and the cost of depreciation and degradation of the components, and the lower resale value or eventual failure, you lose money.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

When you take into account the cost of electricity and the cost of depreciation and degradation of the components, and the lower resale value or eventual failure, you lose money.

Uh, no. 

I make $8-10/day after deducting electricity on a card that has 4 years warranty and would be fully paid back in 3 months anyway. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

17 hours ago, Enderman said:

This is wrong. Cost of electricity is like 12 cents USD in most US states, though there are a few states with really high electric costs. Using 150w as the power used (using my 2080 as an example), it costs about 50 cents a day. I earn 5 dollars a day on average (after fees) mining ETH using the 2miners pool. My 2080 still has 2 years of warranty, and I only need to mine on it for about 4 and a half months to make back what I paid for it ($620 used).

Unless ETH crashs in 4 months (highly doubt it), mining it would be very profitable, and there is low/no chance of really screwing up your GPU since you usually set a power limit that keeps it lower than 70c with fans running at 50%, with only a memory overclock.  Also "lower resale value" is not applicable when you have already mined on it long enough to pay back the card price. Any resale value at that point would be pure profit.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

6 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

This is wrong. Cost of electricity is like 12 cents USD in most US states, though there are a few states with really high electric costs. Using 150w as the power used (using my 2080 as an example), it costs about 50 cents a day. I earn 5 dollars a day on average (after fees) mining ETH using the 2miners pool. My 2080 still has 2 years of warranty, and I only need to mine on it for about 4 and a half months to make back what I paid for it ($620 used).

Unless ETH crashs in 4 months (highly doubt it), mining it would be very profitable, and there is low/no chance of really screwing up your GPU since you usually set a power limit that keeps it lower than 70c with fans running at 50%, with only a memory overclock.  Also "lower resale value" is not applicable when you have already mined on it long enough to pay back the card price. Any resale value at that point would be pure profit.

Ya, not to mention you can sell your eth.

8 hours ago, Niswendel said:

Ya, not to mention you can sell your eth.

Selling won't help if you're not turning a profit as that's how profitability is calculated: revenue of selling your mined ETH at that moment minus electricity costs. So they've got that right. Currently it's profitable as revenue > electricity costs and as a nice bonus at the moment everything is rising.

14 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Fingers crossed that it doesn't crash yet 😛 ETH is memory intensive. Even if the core is cool, there's no way of knowing what the memory temps are pre-3000 series on Nvidia, for example, so there's still a risk there if you push the memory too far.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

you're a little late to the ASIC game but they are still profitable in some cases like mine. I have 3x S9 and 3x S15 putting out a total speed of 120th/s i hit my ROI about 2 years ago and they are now just money making machines. I have free power though. if i had to pay for power they would cost $700/month so my daily take of $36 would change to $11 if i had to pay for power. so its still profitable but with the noise and the heat they make its pretty annoying to hear that fan whine 24/7